MLB all star selections; if selected should have to play?

Is this outrage only at Jeter or could we say the same thing about Pujols?

ddec, before you get your facts mixed up Pujols was on the DL when the selections were made. He had no say in the matter. I gurantee you if they would have given him the chance he would have played in a heartbeat

500k is nothing to him.

Well Im not sure its nothing to him... 500K is still half a million dollars, which is a lot of money. I would be willing to bet he gets this for getting selected, so he has no incentive to play, but thats just me.

I agree with SV in that if players get a bonus for making the team, it should only vest if they attend/play

ddec, before you get your facts mixed up Pujols was on the DL when the selections were made. He had no say in the matter. I gurantee you if they would have given him the chance he would have played in a heartbeat

Jeter was on the DL when selections were made too.

Hanks boy Polanco pulled out, he was voted in.

I still like the All Star game, but there are too many stipulations for it. If you pitch Sunday you can't pitch a batter on Tuesday. You lose way too many good pitchers for that. The all star game is all about match ups that you don't normally see(to me). Schilling vs Arod(when both at the peak of their games), and then Schilling vs Bonds when he was bashing it around like crazy.

His net worth is 125 million. 500k is meaningless otherwise he would have gone. He did what was best for himself and the team that pays him.

His net worth is 125 million. 500k is meaningless otherwise he would have gone. He did what was best for himself and the team that pays him.

He still took the money. He would have gone had he not been guaranteed the money anyway. People who have a lot of money have the money because they don't turn down large sums of money. Half a million is a lot of money to anyone. If he wouldn't have gotten it, he'd have been there.

He still took the money. He would have gone had he not been guaranteed the money anyway.

Since you are obviously so close to Derek Jeter and know his motivations and thoughts, any chance you can get me an autograph?

Boston's David Ortiz said people should cut Jeter some slack.

``He always said yes to the All-Star game,'' the Boston slugger said of his Yankees rival. ``I think he has the right to, whenever he needs a break you know, to pull himself together, especially coming off an injury. I think people need to respect that.''

Jeter was on the DL when selections were made too.

Hanks boy Polanco pulled out, he was voted in.

I still like the All Star game, but there are too many stipulations for it. If you pitch Sunday you can't pitch a batter on Tuesday. You lose way too many good pitchers for that. The all star game is all about match ups that you don't normally see(to me). Schilling vs Arod(when both at the peak of their games), and then Schilling vs Bonds when he was bashing it around like crazy.

Ddec, my point is that Pujols wasnt asked to play. He is the most competitive guy playing the game and he would have been out there if he was asked.

As for the pitching thing, it is a liability issue for the teams that invest millions of dollars a year in these guys. They are used to throwing every 5th or 6th day, so they have a routine. If they throw Monday they play some light catch tuesday, longtoss wednesday, throw a bulpen thursday, longtoss and run friday and throw saturday.. to ask them to throw 2 days after they threw 90-110 pitches isn't safe and isn't something that these owners want their players to risk. Home field advantage is good, but if you lose your ace to injury after he tries and throws on a days rest isn't worth it

Since you are obviously so close to Derek Jeter and know his motivations and thoughts, any chance you can get me an autograph?

You are the one who said he was sure he didn't take the money.

You've obviously never met an athlete then...money is money to these guys no matter what the amount. They are all about 'getting theirs' as much and as fast as possible

500k is nothing to him.

yep, most contracts are written as 'being selceted' and not as 'being selected and playing' specifically for the debate going on here...injuries.

Well Im not sure its nothing to him... 500K is still half a million dollars, which is a lot of money. I would be willing to bet he gets this for getting selected, so he has no incentive to play, but thats just me.

I agree with SV in that if players get a bonus for making the team, it should only vest if they attend/play

Before this turns ugly like the Tiger Woods thread, I am bowing out. I guess people just hate Jeter as much as TW so there is no winning this debate. Enjoy boys and girls.

Before this turns ugly like the Tiger Woods thread, I am bowing out. I guess people just hate Jeter as much as TW so there is no winning this debate. Enjoy boys and girls.

I don't hate Jeter, I think he's a great ballplayer. I don't for one second believe he turned down half a million dollars.

But you said this:

It's really not that big of a deal, not sure why people are making it out to be (not directed at you m-910). The guy needs a break. I am sure he is not taking the money as he doesnt need it.

And then you get on me about how I know what's going on in his mind?

Dev,

Jeter is a class act and one of a very select few Yankees I respect. My thing is he should be at the game. He had plenty of time on the DL to visit his family get his life in order or whatever it is he wanted to do. He could have flown out and dressed and sat on the bench and taken 1 at bat or something like that.

Ddec, my point is that Pujols wasnt asked to play. He is the most competitive guy playing the game and he would have been out there if he was asked.

As for the pitching thing, it is a liability issue for the teams that invest millions of dollars a year in these guys. They are used to throwing every 5th or 6th day, so they have a routine. If they throw Monday they play some light catch tuesday, longtoss wednesday, throw a bulpen thursday, longtoss and run friday and throw saturday.. to ask them to throw 2 days after they threw 90-110 pitches isn't safe and isn't something that these owners want their players to risk. Home field advantage is good, but if you lose your ace to injury after he tries and throws on a days rest isn't worth it

We agree on the pitching part. But then the question is this. If a guy is just returning off of the DL pitcher or fielder, doesn't he have a right to say, I'll take the few days off because it's what will be better for my team? I think so. I think that if this was someone else other than Jeter people wouldn't think it was a big deal. Do I think he should make an appearance, YES, but I won't kill him because he isn't.

We agree on the pitching part. But then the question is this. If a guy is just returning off of the DL pitcher or fielder, doesn't he have a right to say, I'll take the few days off because it's what will be better for my team? I think so. I think that if this was someone else other than Jeter people wouldn't think it was a big deal. Do I think he should make an appearance, YES, but I won't kill him because he isn't.

ddec, again I think we agree on this. I don't think he should play if he doesnt feel healthy, but he has been on the DL so he has had time for family and friends. I think he should be at the game to support the AL and to sign a couple autographs or whatever. If he gets a 500K bonus it should be for showing up, but unfortunately thats not the way these contracts play out.

If there is an injury issue, I think you get a pass. That includes just coming back from one. Mariano Rivera didn't go, and he didn't even hit the DL, but, he feels his sore elbow would benefit from a few days off, and perhaps allow him to be healthy the rest of the season. To me, that gets a pass too. It just depends on the situation IMO.

If there is an injury issue, I think you get a pass. That includes just coming back from one. Mariano Rivera didn't go, and he didn't even hit the DL, but, he feels his sore elbow would benefit from a few days off, and perhaps allow him to be healthy the rest of the season. To me, that gets a pass too. It just depends on the situation IMO.

yorkem, you think it gives them a pass on showing up?

Some people do. And they also pass on the money as well, apparently.

Im with you SV. Like I said if you on the DL you have time to spend with your family or do whatever. When your stint on the DL is over you should at least be able to showup to the ASG

Honestly I think the MLB all star game is a joke.

Anyone else think that interleague play is one of the reasons nobody cares too much about it anymore?

Before interleague play, I used to look forward to the ASG and World Series because it was the only two times during the season the AL and NL players ever played each other. IL play kind of watered that excitement down for me. Anyone else feel the same way?

Anyone else think that interleague play is one of the reasons nobody cares too much about it anymore?

Before interleague play, I used to look forward to the ASG and World Series because it was the only two times during the season the AL and NL players ever played each other. IL play kind of watered that excitement down for me. Anyone else feel the same way?

I think you are right about interleague play. I think it has taken something away from both the ASG and the World Series.

Back