Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
So who here has fought in any MMA matches?

I have. I actually fought most of them close to my current weight (a minor cut from current Light HW) although some were middleweight, I even fought a time or 2 under 170, (that was a cut I couldn’t come back from).

What styles do you like? I’m primarily a brawler but for a while you couldn’t list that. So I went kickboxer. But I was basically a really good sprawl wrestler that could strike. If someone had no ground game I could keep it there and end it.

If it was a high level BJJ guy I utilized sprawl and pray, lol.

Never KO’d or submitted in 9 Pro fights. Most low level. 7-2 lifetime. Never by KO or submission (I’m way too f’ing stubborn now, I’ll dare someone to break it so I can beat them with it again-so choke me out or you don’t win by submission). 7 wins by KO or joint separation (if I’m fighting I’m fighting, I’m not stopping until stopped) 2 losses by decision. The one loss I was out on my feet, but proud that the #1 seed didn’t knock me out.

Next year I made it to the finals against the same guy. He won by decision but it was a LOT closer. I wasn’t just trying to not get beat up, I was trying to beat down. He was so much of a better striker than me though, I couldn’t do much in kickboxing.

I did beat him down in a full out MMA match. So I’m 1-2 lifetime against him and 5-0 against the world. Dude was a K1 beast though. Once I got him down and a minute or two of dirty wrestling and it was over. Only fight I’ve ever had that I didn’t stop when it was over. I was
2-2 at the time both losses to him. I had some aggression I was taking out now that I was allowed to really fight him. I have video somewhere of the ref pulling me off and me still swinging like a maniac, lol. That was our 2-2 lifetime match. He won’t fight me anymore even though I don’t like the idea of Being tied at anything.

I’ve been more in control since then but he’s also one of the few that’s been able to beat me. He did, twice. Third time I got him back. Good kickboxer, no, great kickboxer.

No ground game. Don’t get caught. Take down. As a grappler/brawler get the fight down. Break bones at will. I did that in match three. He beat me the other 2 times, once barely, once badly, and there was no saving his arm once I locked it in.

That was/is my cousin, lol. Lifetime we’re 2-2 One was unsanctioned. He wins if we strike. I win if it goes down. He will and has, brutally knocked me TF out in training, then when we were competing and I broke his arm, he might have tapped. On camera it was close. Not my fault you were dumb enough to not realize a joint lock and subsequent hips getting ready to pop. Freaking strikers (I prefer this actually, but have a backup skill set) whine a lot if they don’t get to strike or you break something but they don’t whine when they KTFO you. They strut around the ring. I didn’t even do that. I knew I broke something on him and was trying to be as nice as I could by telling him “dude!!! TAP!!” By the time he did it was too late.

Salute to him as there was at least 4-5 seconds where I and he both knew I was going to break his arm if he didn’t give up. Sorry dude! Tap when it’s locked next time.

The other unsanctioned fight was after he “retired” but had something to prove against his lone loss.

That’s the one I came up still swinging after getting pulled off. He holds bragging rights at officially 2-1. He and I both know it’s 2-2 and he won’t fight me again. I’ve agreed to any discipline, any weight. I don’t like ties. Someone needs to win that even though we’re both 20 years removed.

Interesting post. I was a high school and college wrestler. I entered and won a few mma’ish type events. No striking. Fun times when I was younger.

Interesting post. I was a high school and college wrestler. I entered and won a few mma’ish type events. No striking. Fun times when I was younger.

Do you think you’d have done better with striking?

I was not a great boxer or even kickboxer (kicking can end things both ways, why take a chance?).

I’m pretty well rounded as a fighter. I have enough wrestling and enough striking and enough BJJ to win a fight at any level of it. I also am not good in any except maybe as Randy Couture light. I wasn’t anywhere as good at him wrestling. I honestly probably out strike him though, but he was as so good at one (wrestling) he could get away with another (striking).

I’m not dominant in any one area but try to beat me in one of the three main areas and I can (compete and lose) to anyone. I also have enough pop that I’ve never been out of a fight. I broke my cousins arm after basically me begging him to not make to do it. In a pro fight, lol. I think I won a grand? This was while he’s still fighting and dangerous. I probably missed 10 hammerfists thrown my way as I was telling him to tap. He didn’t get it and knows why I snapped it. I also get why I had to.

At a certain point our relationship meant something. It certainly wasn’t in a cage. He tried to kill me and I tried to kill him although I pleaded with him to give in. He didn’t tap until I snapped. Or he knew I would. It’s pretty instant watching it. He had 4 seconds though when he and I both knew the ending and he still didn’t tap. I did everything shy of beg him to not make me do it. Nope.

We are both quite stubborn.

But if ever in a joint submission and the guy locking it begs you to tap, f’ing tap. I didn’t want to do that but had I not he’d have likely beat me down again.

If locked in and you know it don’t be so f’ing stubborn. Things will break. Once a lock has been achieved you know it and can either give up or let the guy break it, just give up.

I don’t like that memory. He’s not a close cousin. But he’s still related. Every time I see him he holds out his left arm. Sorry? Not sorry? I gave him a full second to tap outside I’d have given any other man. I even begged him to not make me do it. Both of us knew for 5+ seconds exactly what was going on but he almost urged me on. For what purpose?

He didn’t want to walk away without it being “cheap” in his mind.

Ok so I knocked him out a year later, lol. So much for that. 2-2 lifetime against each, and I want to see who in their middle aged years can win.

He’s gone soft. Zero chance, well he’s a striker so give him 5%. Generally I don’t like a fight to go more than 15 seconds anymore. I imagine he’d be gone at 15 seconds, and me, I’d avoid for 10-15 seconds while giving something hittable. Odds are I’ll deflect.

He catches me he catches me. I’ve lost before and I’ll lose again. There’s a lot of fighting in all of our futures, don’t lose sight of that.

In the future it may mean more so maybe prepare better.

I have no idea if I’m actually decent. I’ll take the 7-2 record. The guy giving me lumps I eventually outdid him. dumba** cousin should learn to tap. The even out match to get to 2-2 (official is 1-2) he was a shell and I took him down and beat him.

So he was 2-0 then went 0-2 against me. I handed him one of I think 3 pro losses. He was something like 20-3 when he retired. Well 20-4 overall. Like I said distant cousin. No problem beating me so I took no pride nor joy (but no sorrow) beating him later. Damn I need to find that video of the last three fights. First one I spent the entire time trying not to catch a big kick.

Second one I fought pretty close. We traded blows. He won, rightfully so, but it was close.

3rd I broke his arm after pleading with him not to make me.

4th I g&P’ed him until they made me stop. No loss of love there. I knew he was stupid and stubborn after the last fight. So until the ref stepped in and made me stop I was beating him until it was over.

Never fought in any sanctioned events, but done plenty of sparring.

Boxing and wrestling for fun with the guys, and I also threw fists every once in awhile during hockey games...

I'm also a certified instructor in a number of things. Some of those are based on Jeet Kune Do which is a really amazing style.

Dude. Was that your wrassling that grizzly on free beer night (I did it, lol) daunting prospect.

Maybe Smiter reveals the key to wrassling a grizzly (I won EVERY time) and won lots of women and drinks.

Super simple. Dangerous but super simple but to get those free drinks you have to make the bear fight some. Lol.

Dude. Was that your wrassling that grizzly on free beer night (I did it, lol) daunting prospect.

Maybe Smiter reveals the key to wrassling a grizzly (I won EVERY time) and won lots of women and drinks.

Super simple. Dangerous but super simple but to get those free drinks you have to make the bear fight some. Lol.

Boxing and wrestling for fun with the guys, and I also threw fists every once in awhile during hockey games...

I'm also a certified instructor in a number of things. Some of those are based on Jeet Kune Do which is a really amazing style.

I like you more and more. I’m just a dirty grappler that due to a thick skull can trade punches, lol. Don Frye and the Tokyo Giant (Yokashima?-only remember the winners names). Favorite fight ever.

Only problem was neither of them have the knockout gene. I lack that as well. A couple times I’ve been close, but never in a sanctioned fight.

It’s been 16+ years but I am 5-0 when not fighting my cousin. I’m pretty sure I’ll stack up well against guys my age and weight. Get too much younger and, hell l’ll do fine too. Most, weak. Seen it in my kids. There isn’t the “I will win or die” gene in them. Makes me sad. Sometimes you’ve gotta fight that grizzly.

I fear no man.

I like you more and more. I’m just a dirty grappler that due to a thick skull can trade punches, lol. Don Frye and the Tokyo Giant (Yokashima?-only remember the winners names). Favorite fight ever.

Only problem was neither of them have the knockout gene. I lack that as well. A couple times I’ve been close, but never in a sanctioned fight.

It’s been 16+ years but I am 5-0 when not fighting my cousin. I’m pretty sure I’ll stack up well against guys my age and weight. Get too much younger and, hell l’ll do fine too. Most, weak. Seen it in my kids. There isn’t the “I will win or die” gene in them. Makes me sad. Sometimes you’ve gotta fight that grizzly.

I fear no man.
Haha if there's one thing about a hockey fight, is that's the epitome of grappling and trading punches! So I can relate to you there!

It wasn't until a few years after that when I learned more about technique, and counter throws etc... MUCH more technical now. And I was training/being trained for the "fight for your life" type scenarios... so very different rules too.

But you're right. Some people have that instinct, and others would rather avoid the confrontation at all costs.

Oh I avoid.

For a second. But once it’s time, it’s time. I do NOT lose.

I’ve ended every confrontation inside of 15 seconds the past 15 years (probably 250+). I deal with a lot of thieves. They usually suck at (being thieves) fighting. If they want to get froggy I shall indulge them. Most of the time they do in some lame ass attempt at not going to jail. Yeah, I’m standing in the exit door. You’re going to jail. It can happen easy, it can go bad.

I beg and plead (mostly) to please don’t go there, but the threat of more jail isn’t really a threat so I get swung at some.

Not one so far has known how to land a first punch or follow it with a second. I block the straight right I 99%+ see with a left that smacks their right side. The right is then slightly hooking at the button by that time. If it misses it still usually is effective enough for me to take down and win. If it lands, fight over. I’ve only really gone further with one guy and he was all jacked up on PCP. I was rear naked choking as I called the police, lol.

That would be a funny call to listen to as I’m ordering him down and the other 50% of the call I’m trying to explain what is going on.

Dunno. I enjoy a good brawl. I’d prefer it sanctioned so everyone walks away legal. I do need a “legends” or “masters” type fight to break the tie with my cousin.

Here’s the things. He’s on the wrong side of 45. I’m about there. He was very technical.

I’m going to guess he’s slowed down even more (first time I fought him I was getting hit when I didn’t even see it coming). His last speed 15+ years ago wasn’t fast.

I’m just mean, lol. That probably won’t slow down. It’s going to take at least that or more to knock me down/out. I don’t see many that are capable of it.

By the time I’ve registered that I’m dealing with a man, he’s been sized up and any glaring deficiencies have been noted. I may give a man hug (extreme example) just to see what side they favor and/or protect.

I like to fight. Sue me. (Not after this, not when I’ve done nothing wrong).

I agree. Except I generally like to land a few strikes too. Have to have an “in” to take their back.

Which is covered nicely in the “punch them in the face”...

Lol

The places I end up here, lol.

...... edit-quality of post and content were late night when I was in “kill” mode mainly because I had to deal with my ex and I’m slightly nuts to begin, if anyone was offended-my apologies.

Last edited:
I'm a lover not a fighter.

But my buddy! He had his debut in the UFC last year and was on Ultimate Fighter a couple years ago, and Tuesday Fight Night (he won on this).

Dude, lemme know when he fights again.

I am a blood thirsty mofo

Lol! No I’ll root him on.

So do you rely on throws that are strict to that discipline or just judo throw everyone?

I’ve learned enough traditional Judo (and even BJJ) that I can do the simple throws but I’m looking for a way to make that persons life much more uncomfortable if I have to go there. Simple hip throw will get 90% of folks, especially if they’re incoming. I can strike 6-8 times in that process.

In fact most fights I’ve won have been a hip throw of some sort followed up by G n P. Lots over before their backs hit the ground. Strike hard and fast.
Hip throws for sure, but also controlled momentum exchanges resulting in significant joint manipulation or targeted strikes.

Hip throws for sure, but also controlled momentum exchanges resulting in significant joint manipulation or targeted strikes.

Oh I like the joint manipulating thing. Or making new joints. Either. :)

Still in a fighting mood. Probably not good since my boss is in my building today.

Let’s hope he’s in a good mood, lol.

I have fought in several MMA events, and various combat sports around the world. I fought in the Sumo world championships in mid 1990's and three Shoot Fighting Matches while over there. I also fought in the toughman competition in 1994 and 1995 and an alternate bout in UFC 5 in NC. I was a collegiate heavyweight wrestler div 1 wrestler and my MMA career began when the Toughman Competition came to town my junior year in college and I wanted to win and pay for spring break (I took second that year and won some cash..lol). I continued wrestling freestyle until I was about 29 and took up golf when I was out at the Olympic Training Center in the late 90's

I have fought in several MMA events, and various combat sports around the world. I fought in the Sumo world championships in mid 1990's and three Shoot Fighting Matches while over there. I also fought in the toughman competition in 1994 and 1995 and an alternate bout in UFC 5 in NC. I was a collegiate heavyweight wrestler div 1 wrestler and my MMA career began when the Toughman Competition came to town my junior year in college and I wanted to win and pay for spring break (I took second that year and won some cash..lol). I continued wrestling freestyle until I was about 29 and took up golf when I was out at the Olympic Training Center in the late 90's

Sounds awesome. I fought in a couple Toughman competitions myself.

There was a guy back then, Ron Clum, who had to be one of the baddest men to walk the planet.

I still have never been knocked out in an official fight but that dude would just beat me silly back then.

I was the only guy that made it 3 rounds with him, 😂.

Only because of the big stupid gloves and me having a hard head (no?!!) but that dude beat me down. I’m not sure I landed anything in 3 rounds.

But I wasn’t KTFO’d

I’ve seen all the early UFC fights, was it one that made the tape? If not can you PM me a YouTube link if you have one, would love to see you in action.

Wrestlers are no joke and college HW level wrestling generally meant I knew I was in for a fight that would wear me out, unless I got lucky early. You rarely do with wrestlers. I wasn’t a great HS wrestler even but I had a very good sprawl, probably most helpful in MMA.

Chuck Liddell used it to great success and a HOF career. He might have swung a bit harder than me too, lol. I remember watching him and thinking “damn, that is one bad dude!”

I’d fight him now, lol. No way back then. Well I would have and the results would have been predictable.

@jdtox I am calling shotgun on @Smiter if he gets into the Morgan Cup.

Sounds awesome. I fought in a couple Toughman competitions myself.

There was a guy back then, Ron Clum, who had to be one of the baddest men to walk the planet.

I still have never been knocked out in an official fight but that dude would just beat me silly back then.

I was the only guy that made it 3 rounds with him, 😂.

Only because of the big stupid gloves and me having a hard head (no?!!) but that dude beat me down. I’m not sure I landed anything in 3 rounds.

But I wasn’t KTFO’d

I’ve seen all the early UFC fights, was it one that made the tape? If not can you PM me a YouTube link if you have one, would love to see you in action.

Wrestlers are no joke and college HW level wrestling generally meant I knew I was in for a fight that would wear me out, unless I got lucky early. You rarely do with wrestlers. I wasn’t a great HS wrestler even but I had a very good sprawl, probably most helpful in MMA.

Chuck Liddell used it to great success and a HOF career. He might have swung a bit harder than me too, lol. I remember watching him and thinking “damn, that is one bad dude!”

I’d fight him now, lol. No way back then. Well I would have and the results would have been predictable.
It didn't make the final tape. I was one of two alternate bouts. Mine lasted 17 seconds....lol, a Judo guy shot in on me, I Russian Sprawled (hips in instead of back, and knee to the head). I do have it on VHS, (that and many others, I have to transfer them to digital sometime soon, along with my wedding video...lol)

I've never done any MMA (too old when it became a thing), but I was 3-2 in full contact karate fights like back in the PKA days. I was also 3-7 in point karate fights.
I just couldn't get the hang of pulling my punches and kicks in the point matches. 5 of my 7 losses were due to excessive contact. My favorite win/loss was in a point tournament and was my final point match. I had won my first fight and moved on to the next round. My opponent kept groin kicking me during clashes and the referee wouldn't call it. I had enough, so as we moved towards each other on the next clash, I front kicked him in the stomach and then drilled him with a straight right hand. The crack of his neck spinning on impact scared me as he just crumpled on the floor, completely unconscious. After they revived him, I was immediately disqualified from the tournament. Honestly I felt both good and bad about the KO, but I decided right then that I was done with point matches.
I have a lot of respect for the people that fight in the MMA arena. I don't think I would have ever tried that.

One of my former wrestlers that I coached in HS (Chris Algieri) went on to hold the world championship in kickboxing, then moved into boxing and won the WBO world championship, then moved up a weight class to fight Manny Pacquiao for the WBO welterweight belt.

One of my former wrestlers that I coached in HS (Chris Algieri) went on to hold the world championship in kickboxing, then moved into boxing and won the WBO world championship, then moved up a weight class to fight Manny Pacquiao for the WBO welterweight belt.

Yeah. I was nowhere near that good, lol.

I was just a kid that liked to fight. Still do, but sometimes the next day I rethink it.

Getting into MMA allowed me to do it all legal like.

Yeah. I was nowhere near that good, lol.

I was just a kid that liked to fight. Still do, but sometimes the next day I rethink it.

Getting into MMA allowed me to do it all legal like.
I was a wrestler who started boxing in college when I had a knee injury and couldn’t run/sprint and someone told me it was a great cardio workout, so I started doing it (heavy bag and sparing), and I got in some of the best shape of my life. I bounced and was never afraid of a fight back in the day, I loved to compete and when I got a chance to put those two together I jumped at it. When I was at my prime MMA was just getting started, had it been more like today I may of had a different career path.

Nope. But I did BJJ for about a decade and basically quit when I started golfing. Got to my purple belt. Did a bunch of competitions my first couple years as a white belt and blue belt. I don't think I ever did one after I got promoted to purple.

I want to get back to it but it is hard to get your ass kicked for a couple months while you get back in shape. I also wish I had wrestled in high school. It would have made me much better. Wrestling is good for all sports. Pretty much any wrestler is tough as nails and stronger per square inch than any normal person. If you tell me you wrestled I trust you a lot more honestly.

Back