Moneyball - Will it work in the NFL?

The question wasn't if analytics will work because I would agree there's been some sort of analytics involved in the NFL for a long time now. It's the Moneyball philosophy in question

The question wasn't if analytics will work because I would agree there's been some sort of analytics involved in the NFL for a long time now. It's the Moneyball philosophy in question
Isn't the whole philosophy based on exploiting inefficiencies and undervalued skills? In order to assess these values they have to be measured. Which, IMO, still leaves the problem of how you properly measure these values.

Personally I don't think so. So many different schemes and playbooks...

Sure seems like a Browns thing to do IMO.

That's what I was thinking. With baseball, it's guy throws ball, guy (try's to) hit ball, defense fields said hit. It's a little more "simple" than the number of schemes, routes, play calls and such.

With that said, I'm sure just about anything could be broken down into some form of analytics specific to situational football moments....I'm by NO means the guy to figure out that.

Isn't this similar to what Vegas currently does with individual players by assigning point value impact on a game. It's actually interesting because then someone like JJ Watt isn't worth a $100M contract. Not saying Watt isn't incredible (as I think he is) but he is overpaid for his impact on the score of a game according to certain "analytics". Of course if you factor ticket sales, excitement of the team, jersey sales you could say he is worth his contract.

And if if you look at the Patriots they have operated within a moneyball mentality somewhat as they have notoriously not paid players comparatively speaking. They maximize their talent in a system at a cost efficient way for them.

Think we as fans get caught up with you cant lose this player or he's an impact but when you look at is a business case it puts a different spin on it. Long story short it will be interesting to see how it pans out for the Browns.

Back