More Help, Less Help or Stay in your lane for 2021?

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone planning to leave their typical happy place (lane) with their golf equipment in 2021?

Going more forgiving?

Less?

I’m tempted to leave my lane and go in one direction or the other. Would love to own blades again, but something the other direction might be fun too (Hot metal Pros)....

When thinking of the collective clubs I played the majority of the year with, and have been playing lately, it seems I'll probably be going less forgiving in 2021. That might be highly dependent on how forgiving the new Apex Pro are considered though.

I might go a little more forgiving in the putter, actually. I put together a new mallet I'll try at some point.

Last edited:
I'm not getting any younger, so if any new clubs go into my bag in 2021 they better be more forgiving!

I am thinking of going one length in 2021...something I have never thought about before BUT after following several one length threads I am leaning that way

I'm going to stay in my lane for the most part. I might try some bigger irons in the 5/6 spot, if a fitting shows that to be beneficial.

I'm in my happy place for now. That's subject to change at any moment, of course, but as of now I don't foresee any major revisions to the bag next year.

I could be convinced to make my next set of irons a multi-combo set with blade 9-GW, GI 7-8, and SGI 5-6 or a similar setup, but that likely won't happen in 2021.

I'll play what I play... If I find something that looks good, I'll give it a go... Forgiveness matters but looking cool is king :ROFLMAO:... +10 if you can do it in joggers and iron covers

Driver is less forgiving.

Irons is more forgiving.

Wedges and Putter are the same style

I want to go OL and a full mallet for a full year. Both WAY outside my comfort and/or confidence zone. But the feedback could be amazingly fun.

I want to go OL and a full mallet for a full year. Both WAY outside my comfort and/or confidence zone. But the feedback could be amazingly fun.
It would be an interesting experiment, I'd love to follow it and see if/how it affects your game.

It would be an interesting experiment, I'd love to follow it and see if/how it affects your game.
It might make me want to quit. :ROFLMAO:

If the stars align that I can get a fitting done, I will be going more forgiving this year. Looking at B21 driver and OL Rad irons. We'll see how the cards fall.:)

My tentative (possibility) idea is to move on from my cavity backs, and go with some new muscle backs irons.

I don't need new clubs, and I suspect my handicap will suffer switching to blades, but what the heck.

It's just an itch I have, that I'd like to scratch. Get in a few more years playing something different, while adding some new challenges to my game.

It might make me want to quit. :ROFLMAO:
Sorry James, not buying it, the only thing I can think of that might make you quit is a requirement to wear joggers! :p

My tentative (possibility) is move on from cavity backs, and go with some new muscle backs irons.

I don't need new clubs, and I suspect my handicap will suffer switching to blades, but what the heck.

It's just an itch I have, that I'd like to scratch. Get in a few more years playing something different, while adding some new challenges to my game.
My game is "challenged" enough already, I don't need to make it any harder than it already is. :ROFLMAO: If I can just find a driver that swings itself I'll have a chance at improving my game.

I'm thinking of going OL as well as reviewing my shafts-and all my specs. As I just turned 61 the 'ole fastball ain't what it used to be.

Sorry James, not buying it, the only thing I can think of that might make you quit is a requirement to wear joggers! :p
This is actually probably completely accurate. :ROFLMAO:

I don't think my ball striking is good enough to go less forgiving and to blade like clubs so I will be staying in the players distance category

My game is "challenged" enough already, I don't need to make it any harder than it already is. :ROFLMAO: If I can just find a driver that swings itself I'll have a chance at improving my game.
See, that's just it for me. I can go out ,on just about any course, from the correct tees, and shoot almost the same scores. It's pretty easy for me to shoot in the mid to low 80s, most of the time. My bad scoring rounds are minimal.

Plus I don't think I would have much trouble adjusting to blades in a short period of time.

I could be convinced to make my next set of irons a multi-combo set with blade 9-GW, GI 7-8, and SGI 5-6 or a similar setup, but that likely won't happen in 2021.

I think this is the way to go. Why commit to one set these days? Precision and spin control in short irons. Get a balance of forgiveness and playability in mid irons. Go hog wild forgiving in long irons (and/or hybrids). I think daily about how to put together a set like this.

Given my current set-up is at the high-end of what I can handle, anything going in my B bag will be more forgiving.

I think this is the way to go. Why commit to one set these days? Precision and spin control in short irons. Get a balance of forgiveness and playability in mid irons. Go hog wild forgiving in long irons (and/or hybrids). I think daily about how to put together a set like this.
Srixon...

Srixon...

And that might just be what I order on Jan 6. (y) ZX7/ZX5. Curious about the ZX4 for the top of the bag too. Srixon, Mizuno, and TM all have impressive iron lineups that I think can be a bang up combo fit for me. I will setup a fitting for sometime the week of Jan 4-8, and I already told the fitter the fitting may be a proxy to help me best spec out the Srixons (he doesn't carry Srixon). :cool:

Nope playing the same bag I finished the year with, maybe swap a putter

Back