More Impressive: a Single Digit Handicap or Breaking 80?

a handicap is just a number.

If I am playing regularly with people, I'll take the single digit because I'll get to watch it happen.
If I am just out for a round with some guys I don't normally golf with, I definitely want to see that sub 80 round over what their GHIN says.

Never happened, at least not yet. Lots of 81’s-84’s. Just can’t get past that number.

Do you have a regular course? If so, what's the rating/slope? If not, what's your "normal" rating/slope on the courses you play?

Do you have a regular course? If so, what's the rating/slope? If not, what's your "normal" rating/slope on the courses you play?
Usually rotate 3-4 courses. They are all about 70-71 rating and slopes of 130-138.

Single digit, it shows a higher level of play over a longer period of time.

Based on the question in the OP about goal to have Im going to say breaking 80 is the better goal from where your current cap is. Do it enough and your cap will take care of itself.

I always focus upon score. If/when I score better, the HC will be what it will be.

So that leaves me more score based at to my goals. I concentrated upon breaking 80 and then beating the number that had, and so on.

Eventually, I was actually quite surprised (and a bit intimidated!) to learn that I was safely a single 'capper.

I would guess that the vast majority of 10 HDCPs have broken 80 at some point in their golfing careers. However, most of them are definitely not flirting with sub 80 on a regular basis - I certainly am not. I've ranged from 9-11 the last two years and have posted far more rounds in the 90s than 70s.
Definitely depends on the course rating/slope. I just looked up one of my friends who's an 8.5 - all of his rounds are from the same course, five of his handicap scores are from the combo tees and three are from the white tees:

Combo tees (66.7/114) - Score / differential:
70 / 2.3
77 / 9.2
78 / 10.8
78 / 10/8
77 / 9.2

White tees (65.6/111) - Score / differential:
76 / 9.6
74 / 7.6
76 / 9.6

I would venture that most 8-12 handicappers are playing tracks significantly tougher than those. I would guess the average track I play is somewhere close to 71/125.

Single digits every time, it shows consistency and the ability to shoot low scores on the regular. I had hoped to do each of them this season, but after a lesson and a few duff rounds, I'm further away than ever...

Single digit means your getting scores under 80.

Single digits every time, it shows consistency and the ability to shoot low scores on the regular. I had hoped to do each of them this season, but after a lesson and a few duff rounds, I'm further away than ever...
This ^

At the end of last year I went through a period of playing some really good golf and shot a PB of 74 (Par 72) and multiple rounds in the high 70's to drop my handicap from 12 to 9
Started this season with some low scores but am currently struggling with my back issues and my scores are reflecting it, hovering around 82-84 in general, so I am confident that once I get it sorted I can push for some good scores again

I'll take the single digit handicap.

Single digits for sure.

But my question is, you have never broken 80 yet you are a 10? To be a 10 I would have figured you would have done it fairly often.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Depends on the slope and course rating.

Both of these are a goal for me after restarting golf from a near decade long medical leave.

Usually rotate 3-4 courses. They are all about 70-71 rating and slopes of 130-138.

So, have you ever ventured into the single digits for your handicap? What's the best you've ever held?

I would venture that most 8-12 handicappers are playing tracks significantly tougher than those. I would guess the average track I play is somewhere close to 71/125.

Yep, that's a good example. You can shoot lights out at a course that's rated very low and your handicap just won't improve much.

Yep, that's a good example. You can shoot lights out at a course that's rated very low and your handicap just won't improve much.

Yup. Agree with this. Here's an example from the last few weeks of me playing that shows even a good score isn't necessarily a better impact on the index.

1594050736600.png

Yup. Agree with this. Here's an example from the last few weeks of me playing that shows even a good score isn't necessarily a better impact on the index.

View attachment 8952153

Yep. That 77 probably felt nice, but the 80 was a much better round.

Yep. That 77 probably felt nice, but the 80 was a much better round.

I felt a lot better about that 80 given the course and distance. A 5800 yard round from the whites vs a 6650 yard round from the blues. 2 completely different setups and course approaches.

I'm conflicted on this one because those are both goals that I have had at one time. My low cap was an 8.1 once upon a time and I was single digit for a few years. Despite this, I have only broke 80 three times. Now obviously this comes down to the course/tees that I play, and I don't want to lessen the accomplishment of being a single digit cap. But I almost look at breaking 80 more favorably. I guess each needs to be put in context to truly evaluate its merits. Either way, playing good golf is awesome, keep it up!

Definitely depends on the course, but I've broken 80 plenty of times, never been a single digit handicap.
That's interesting. I'm guessing the sub-80 rounds were not that close together? Otherwise I would expect you to have reached single digits, at least during that period when you were breaking 80.

I've broken 80 four times now, all within the last 5 months. My handicap is the lowest its ever been at 9.4.

I suppose it depends who you are trying to impress.

~Rock

I’ve broken 80 three times, but never been a single digit handicap. I’d still have to go with breaking 80. My handicap pretty much exists to play fair when friends want to play small money games during a round. Breaking 80 is a goal and an accomplishment every time it happens.

I’ve broken 80 three times, but never been a single digit handicap. I’d still have to go with breaking 80. My handicap pretty much exists to play fair when friends want to play small money games during a round. Breaking 80 is a goal and an accomplishment every time it happens.
It's a lot more likely that I'll occasionally break 80 than it is that I'll ever be a single digit 'cap. I'll take the victories where I can get them. :LOL:

Back