More OEM foolishness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it make me boomerish if I think the 3+ designation is kind of stupid? Lol 'Cause it's the only one we really use it on, which is weird. And if it's an actual useful designation, and should be acknowledged, it kind of makes me want to screw with the people playing certain irons.

"What did you hit there?"

"6"

"You mean 6+, right?"

20200205_111626.jpg

In fact, the 8 in my combo is a little stronger lofted, so I just fixed it. It is now an 8+.

See? Stupid.

Last edited:
Wow- I really missed out on an interesting conversation this morning and have been catching up. For me personally I don’t care what the numbers on my club are. I just want to hit them (on average) within a certain set of distances. I’ve got a 9 year old R11 4W that sits at 17*. My buddies know it as the 4W. I just know it’s the club I hit on right fairways, short par 4’s and days when my Driver is on strike...just my $.02

As a not yet retired Boomer I am ashamed of some of the comments by what I guess is one of my generation. We were raised to respect folks and my early 60's (age) fellow people were also raised to respect and try to get along with all people regardless of color or origin.

Yes there are still 60-65 year old racist and a$$holes but the vast majority of us were all about getting along. My mother was a true hippie and my dad as straight up as a 2x4 but they found common ground and did their best to make us understand manners and respect.

Of course this is the internet and he could be a she and 20 years old.....

Well Jimmy, I can promise you that I'm not something terrible like a racist, xenophobe, homophobe, misognist, populist/nationalist, theocrat, Republican, or anything like that.

Asshole? OK, that's open for discussion.

@RetiredBoomer I've tried to engage you in this and the other thread and you don't want to even reply back. I have a legitimate question for you. Do you just like arguing or are you genuinely upset? If it's arguing just to argue then I'm out. If it's the latter, then why not quit golf? Golf is a hobby /sport that is supposed to bring joy. If these changes have robbed that joy from you then why not walk away and find something that does make you happy. Life is too short to be this upset at the little things in life. And it is unacceptable to make personal attacks just because others don't agree with your viewpoint. That's not what THP is about.

Well Jimmy, I can promise you that I'm not something terrible like a racist, xenophobe, homophobe, misognist, populist/nationalist, theocrat, Republican, or anything like that.

Wow. What's next, are we going to bring religion into this too? Can someone give this guy a timeout?

Yeah, I tried, but I'm usually better at lightening the mood. That marker actually dried like a champ before I got to wipe it and I'm going to have to get out the spirits or acetone later, so I'll go marker crazy up in this bish to show the full ridiculousness if I need to! lol

Against my better judgement...

2Ws have traditionally (ie, going back say 30 years) been 12 degree clubs. Yes, there were also 12 deg drivers, but the 2W design took turf interaction into consideration more than a driver needed to.

So the loft of a 3+ is more than a traditional 3w but less than a 2w.

Annika played a 4+ wood many years ago. It's not a new thing.

Hypersensitive?
When it comes to THP and the values we want to protect, then absolutely. Those cheap shots and attacks are not welcome. You certainly are displaying some interesting values after suggesting most of us are lacking them..

When it comes to THP and the values we want to protect, then absolutely. Those cheap shots and attacks are not welcome. You certainly are displaying some interesting values after suggesting most of us are lacking them..

OK.

20200205_120514.jpg

Someone please come stop me. :/

I haven't slept.

Against my better judgement...

2Ws have traditionally (ie, going back say 30 years) been 12 degree clubs. Yes, there were also 12 deg drivers, but the 2W design took turf interaction into consideration more than a driver needed to.

So the loft of a 3+ is more than a traditional 3w but less than a 2w.

Annika played a 4+ wood many years ago. It's not a new thing.

That might be what bugs me. Traditional lofts are pretty much out the window for everything but driver. And the fact that we don't use that labeling for any other clubs.

Just getting into this, I'm probably in boomers age group, maybe even a little older. All I can say is don't rock the boat and enjoy THP. You have your opinions on things and other have just as strong opinions opposite as yours, that doesn't make you right or everyone else wrong. If you don't like the numbering system on your clubs, nothing discussing it here can change that except for name calling and getting everyone getting keyed up over your comments. The past day of naming clubs are just that, past. Learn to live with what you have, put your own name on it or whatever, but trying to convince people your way is right won't get you too far here. BTW, I'm sure you know that Ben Hogan Golf tried the lofts on the sole of the club and they had to change because people weren't accepting it, no matter how good the clubs are. Enjoy THP!

Quit spinning the same argument a different way every week and expecting a different result, it won't happen.

I just wanted to know why 3+ is better than 2.
The other stuff is tongue-in-cheek that I should have probably kept to myself, but I must admit...

I never realized how few people today question things about golf equipment that, to me, don't make a hell of a lot of sense.

The other stuff is tongue-in-cheek that I should have probably kept to myself, but I must admit...

I never realized how few people today question things about golf equipment that, to me, don't make a hell of a lot of sense.
I can't say for sure, I think maybe it is just a perception issue.

Does it make me boomerish if I think the 3+ designation is kind of stupid? Lol 'Cause it's the only one we really use it on, which is weird. And if it's an actual useful designation, and should be acknowledged, it kinda of makes me want to screw with the people playing certain irons.

"What did you hit there?"

"6"

"You mean 6+, right?"

TaylorMade has also done 5HL and 3HL in the past - which is kind of 5- and 3-. Shaft length is the same as the 3W and 5W, but 17 and I think 20-21 degrees. I think these are only seen on the non-adjustable lines since you can't just use the cog to add loft. So the head weight is "right" for that shaft length, but you can tweak launch if needed. They aren't 4W and 7W, because those usually come with a change in head size, shaft length, and head weight. That's the same for the 3+.

I have been known to say things that were not proper or along party lines, but we all do try and be civil here, it really changes things when you get out and meet some of the people here and get a round in.

Wow been a morning on here already. I don't care what number is on the club i use what gets the ball to where i want it.

TaylorMade has also done 5HL and 3HL in the past - which is kind of 5- and 3-. Shaft length is the same as the 3W and 5W, but 17 and I think 20-21 degrees. I think these are only seen on the non-adjustable lines since you can't just use the cog to add loft. So the head weight is "right" for that shaft length, but you can tweak launch if needed. They aren't 4W and 7W, because those usually come with a change in head size, shaft length, and head weight. That's the same for the 3+.

Ooh, good point. Hadn't thought about that. My wife actually has a HL set.

I should have written LL on a couple. :cry:

As some have noted in this thread already, the design of the 3+ is not the same thing as a 2 wood. A "real" 2 wood would have a larger volume than the 3 (potentially with some differences in shape as we see in 3 and 5 woods), probably a lighter headweight, and play longer. But the 3+ is the same length as the 3, with the same head size and shape.

But you seem more interested in starting fights with people than actually getting the answers to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back