kiwichris

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
When I look at my Hogan combo lofts, PW is 46 degree.
Even putting a 50, 54 & 58 it feels like I need that extra wedge at 62.
Do others feel that 54 is too strong for a sand wedge & 58 is too much work to make it a lob?

I think a lot depends on what you do with your wedges. My PW is 46. I play a 49-50* GW, a 54* SW, and a 60* LW. I don’t use the LW a lot but I use the 54* quite a bit. This works for me but may not for anyone else.

Before I picked up matching 58 I was doing the same, using a 60.
Mine is sand, 54 feels like have to open too much & 58 is a touch not enough

Although the only wedges I can remember ever using were 48-52-56-60, I never really cared what the lofts were. I just learned to use them for the situations I could use them for.

Except for my 48 pw, I very seldom use a full swing with the others. Even fewer with my 60 lw.

If close enough, but I couldn't use a wedge for what ever reason, I had 5 other irons I could figure out a way to use.

The grinds probably make a difference. I don't feel like I have any issues opening my 56* MIM wedge to flop it.

I use a 50 - 54 or 55, 58 or 59.

I have used a 62 previously, still have it, but it's not really useful most of the year. Unless I have crowned, baked greens, no use for a 62 or 64 ... for me.

So many variables, so little time...

All wedges are not created equal - grind, bounce and other details can make two wedges that are the same loft play very differently. Then different players hit different kinds of shots and approach wedge play in different ways. Some love a 60* (or more) lob wedge. Others don't. Some prefer to open a wedge to get more loft, some don't. Some take full swings with all their wedges, some don't. All of those factors will influence the setup.

fwiw my PW is 46* with a fairly narrow V-sole. Current gap is a 50* CBX2 (will likely be replaced by the set AW), and I have a 58* Glide TS which is a tight grind. I'm waiting on a Glide 3 in 56* that may sideline the 58*. But I actually like hitting partial shots and really just want the gap wedge to play like my irons, then have a sand wedge that I can open if I need some height. Part of that is because my formative years I didn't even have a sand wedge so I played everything with a 48* wedge. Turns out you can do a lot with that if you practice. But totally ymmv.

No. If the 58 was like a 12F maybe, but in any reasonable bounce/grind combinations a 54 and 58 work best for me.

No. If the 58 was like a 12F maybe, but in any reasonable bounce/grind combinations a 54 and 58 work best for me.
Grinds = confusion

Edit to include that I need one of these wedge fittings with Vokey's of the world to explain in detail to me

I play the stock PW (43*), 50*, 54* and 60* combo that has worked very well for my game. Wedge combos are so personal, you just have to find the right set for you.

I feel the same about the 54. I'm currently at 45, 50, 54, and 60 and not loving it. I want to go 45 48 52 56 and 60. My big issue is the 45 is a GI PW and the gap is too big to my 50 blade wedge. Same issue as you mentioned with the 54, I just like a 56 better with my sand wedge.

I have this exact setup. GW, then 54, 58, and 62.

I like the 58 as the sand wedge not really the 54.

I have zero issues with the playability of a 50/54/58 set. 58 gets a ton of play and up in the air for flops very easily.

I play my set PW and AW (41° and 46°), then a 54 and 58. The 54° is my last full swing club, and I'm also very comfortable with flighting my AW down. The 58° PM Grind is for bunkers and greenside, and it gets plenty of use every round. I wouldn't want any more loft than that - I can open it up and get plenty of elevation out of it when I need it. I have a 64° wedge in my "junk clubs" bag in the garage, and it's quite possibly the most useless club (for me) I've ever tried.

My PW is 48º, SW is 54º, LW is 59º. I also have a Wilson 60º that I sometimes throw in the bag for "around the green" stuff. It's not that I need it, but I just really like it.

All about those personal distance gaps. I play a 46 PW into a 48/54/62 setup. Gives me the gaps I want since wedges for me are all about versatility. PW and 48 are the only ones I’ll full swing.

I could play with only a 54* wedge.

I think the grinds and bounce play a huge role compared to strictly lofts. Less than a handful of times throughout the year would I say I needed a 62* to execute a shot

I use a 54* w/ 12 bounce and its my go to club for probably 75% of shots. My 58* w/ 8 bounce is perfect for tighter lies or firmer sand. The 58 lets me open the face easily for the times I do need more loft. Overall both of these 2 clubs have grinds and soles that allow me to open the face

wedge play is about confidence so if you dont like your setup then changing to what you want should help

I’ve been playing 54/58 for years and feel there isn’t a shot that can’t be hit with that combo.

Gapping and how you hit the highest lofted wedge will determine your wedge set up. I like full wedge shots so I go up to a 60* and carry 5 wedges.

All about those personal distance gaps. I play a 46 PW into a 48/54/62 setup. Gives me the gaps I want since wedges for me are all about versatility. PW and 48 are the only ones I’ll full swing.
How does that small gap work with distances or is it more of a full swing thing then going back to the gaps for the wedges?

Have been playing 50 - 54 - 58 for years and that is the only combo I am comfortable with. I hit a lot of full swing shots with the 58 that I couldn't hit nearly as consistently with a 60 when I have tried them. I have been playing the Equalizers for 3 years and have no issues opening up and lobing the 58. The TX Grind on the new II's really intrigues me and will likely get that on my 58 degree wedge when the time comes to replace my 54 and 58.

When I carried a 54 and a 58, I rarely used my 54 out of the sand. Probably more mental than anything. 58 was easily enough for me to use a lob. I now carry a 50 then a 56. The 56 works great out of the sand and I have no problem playing lob shots with it. Ultimately though everyone is different, you gotta use whatever works for you.

When I carried a 54 and a 58, I rarely used my 54 out of the sand. Probably more mental than anything. 58 was easily enough for me to use a lob. I now carry a 50 then a 56. The 56 works great out of the sand and I have no problem playing lob shots with it. Ultimately though everyone is different, you gotta use whatever works for you.
Or learn to use what you have properly :banghead:

I play PTX Pros with the 46 PW and play Equalizers with 50 degree approach, 54 degree sand and 60 degree lob (if you wish to name them) and I find this combination of lofts very good for me. I use them all anywhere on the course and define the selection more from a lie, distance and course management viewpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back