Most underrated album by a major artist

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As far as major artists in music history, everyone knows their signifiant hits and legendary releases but do some major artists have something else that you find underrated or overshadowed that others may not know or pay enough attention to?

I have 2, maybe 3 off the top of my head.

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys
Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
Michael Jackson - Off the Wall

Eric Clapton - Journeyman
Billy Joel - Nylon Curtain

Infant Sorrow - African Child

Meatloaf-Bat out of Hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

311 - Transistor
Arctic Monkeys - Favorite Worst Nightmare
Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg

These 3 albums will rock your socks off front to back. Bet very few have listened to them.

Tough one, it would be easier for me to list some of the most overrated, but how about these:

Queen - Queen II, Never a big Queen fan, and actually dislike most of their big hits, but Queen II is a great album.
U2 - War, They went through the roof with Joshua Tree, but the earlier War was just as good.

The Who - Who's Next, This one is a bit of a stretch, everyone puts Tommy and Quadrophenia so high, but I think Who's Next is head and shoulders better than both.

Eric Clapton - Journeyman
Billy Joel - Nylon Curtain
I am not a huge Clapton fan but I love the Journeyman album.

Billy Bragg & Wilco - Mermaid Avenue. I still love this album and listen to it often. Not too mainstream but it is great. They sing a bunch of Woody Guthrie songs. Used to listen to Woody Guthrie when I was a kid and my dad had a few of his albums.

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska. Love how he recorded it and contains some powerful heartfelt songs.

U2 - Boy (someone already mentioned War) They were really good long before The Joshua Tree.

Just a couple of my favorites that aren’t acclaimed as much as others from these artists.

311 - Transistor

transistor def has some great tunes, but there’s a lot of fluff on it. i think their most underrated albums are soundsystem and grassroots.

Not sure if it's still underrated but...

No Code by Pearl Jam

I've loved it from day 1, but so many people hated it at the time.

Aerosmith - Nine Lives

Sammy Hagar - Red Voodoo

Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get

Eagles - Desperado
Journey - Departure
Boston - Don't Look Back (not much popularity for this album beyond the title track)

The Police - Regatta de Blanc

As far as major artists in music history, everyone knows their signifiant hits and legendary releases but do some major artists have something else that you find underrated or overshadowed that others may not know or pay enough attention to?

I have 2, maybe 3 off the top of my head.

Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys
Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds
Michael Jackson - Off the Wall

Wait What..... Off the Wall was a huge album for Michael Jackson and is one of the Rolling Stones top 500 albums (68th).

Wait What..... Off the Wall was a huge album for Michael Jackson and is one of the Rolling Stones top 500 albums (68th).
But how many people remember it compared to Thriller or Bad?

I think it’s his best but it falls behind the others in sales and general recognition.

Paul Simon - Graceland
Traffic - Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Wings - Band On The Run

Paul Simon - Graceland
Wings - Band On The Run
I see your Graceland and raise you Rhythm of the Saints.

Paul Simon - Graceland
Wings - Band On The Run
Maybe I just remember things differently, but I would consider that whole list more likely to be the highest rated/most popular albums by those artists. :confused2:

Back