mtbloco swing critique....I hope.

mtbloco

Grandaddy X!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Testing out posting videos and taking them of my golf swing. I've never uploaded to YouTube and tried embedding them. so this might have some technical difficulties. If so, please ignore.

Hopefully these are good enough that if someone want to critique my swing I'd be willing to listen. I'm swinging an 8i, in slow motion, and obviously not hitting a ball. But I have an alignment station set up. Feel free to roast it too. I any laughter will do us all good.

Down the line

Face on.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I wish I could offer some insights but, alas, I am too new to the game to be a reliable source of feedback.

I wish I could offer some insights but, alas, I am too new to the game to be a reliable source of feedback.
well this is insight...now I know others can see the videos!

Testing out posting videos and taking them of my golf swing. I've never uploaded to YouTube and tried embedding them. so this might have some technical difficulties. If so, please ignore.

Hopefully these are good enough that if someone want to critique my swing I'd be willing to listen. I'm swinging an 8i, in slow motion, and obviously not hitting a ball. But I have an alignment station set up.

Down the line

Face on.

Thank you.

You are essentially making an arm swing, which is inefficient and lacks any power or authority. I suggest putting a club behind your shoulders so you may get a sense for a what a true body turn-pivot feels like.

backswing pivot.jpg

Both videos are viewable... what are you looking to get help on?

Both videos are viewable... what are you looking to get help on?

I'm too green to know that level of specifics. I know I suffer from the all arms swing as pointed above. I started out this summer with a horrendous hook. I made the switch to try and use the Malaska school of thought based on the L to L swing. this has helped quite a bit. but I'm now suffering from slices as my miss tends to keep the club face open.

Alignment is another issue. I'm a Hacker.....so all help is welcome. Once Covid19 is over i'm taking lessons. but THP advice always helps.

I'm too green to know that level of specifics. I know I suffer from the all arms swing as pointed above. I started out this summer with a horrendous hook. I made the switch to try and use the Malaska school of thought based on the L to L swing. this has helped quite a bit. but I'm now suffering from slices as my miss tends to keep the club face open.

Alignment is another issue. I'm a Hacker.....so all help is welcome. Once Covid19 is over i'm taking lessons. but THP advice always helps.

Take a look at Jack Nicklaus address position technique here, especially the straight line formed by his left arm and the club (s). You will find that to achieve the "straight line" your right shoulder will need to be lower than your left shoulder. This is a good thing because it will automatically promote a true shoulder turn (rather than the ineffective arms powered swing you've been making). Set yourself up in front of a mirror at home and try to duplicate Nicklaus address position. Adopting this address technique this will naturally help your swing quite a bit.
Nicklaus address position.jpg

Last edited:
You are essentially making an arm swing, which is inefficient and lacks any power or authority. I suggest putting a club behind your shoulders so you may get a sense for a what a true body turn-pivot feels like.

View attachment 8934690
Hold the club stiff and rotate at the hips to understand the body movement ... No expert here...just saying what I see...

Also if you embed the forum videos by using the video camera (without the plus sign) it is preferred method of the forums...

Hopefully these are good enough that if someone want to critique my swing I'd be willing to listen. I'm swinging an 8i, in slow motion, and obviously not hitting a ball. But I have an alignment station set up. Feel free to roast it too. I any laughter will do us all good.

Down the line

Face on.

Thank you.
Hello my good man! First, I want to say that my views are purely on a 'what I think I know' sort of basis. Not a pro, not educated in giving lessons, etc. That in mind, there are a couple of things that I think are critical to improving here.

My feedback would be to review videos that talk about two things;

1- swinging on plane: I like your recovery a lot at the top, but your takeaway seems to be quite a bit inside. Look at the different locations between you and Adam Scott (neutral swing). When you're inside like that, you move at the top is inevitably going to be OTT, even if it's back to being on plane. I think that breaks down some power you can maintain.

1585707031962.png

2- Pulling the handle, and holding the angle: If you look at your move from the top, there's a bit of casting that goes on with your wrists to get back to square. If you can find a way to hold onto that angle longer, you're going to be able to generate more natural power in the swing without speeding up (although technically it's going faster).

Look at the finish between you and Adam, where his power maintains and you've already flipped through;

1585707287154.png

Hello my good man! First, I want to say that my views are purely on a 'what I think I know' sort of basis. Not a pro, not educated in giving lessons, etc. That in mind, there are a couple of things that I think are critical to improving here.

My feedback would be to review videos that talk about two things;

1- swinging on plane: I like your recovery a lot at the top, but your takeaway seems to be quite a bit inside. Look at the different locations between you and Adam Scott (neutral swing). When you're inside like that, you move at the top is inevitably going to be OTT, even if it's back to being on plane. I think that breaks down some power you can maintain.

View attachment 8934724

2- Pulling the handle, and holding the angle: If you look at your move from the top, there's a bit of casting that goes on with your wrists to get back to square. If you can find a way to hold onto that angle longer, you're going to be able to generate more natural power in the swing without speeding up (although technically it's going faster).

Look at the finish between you and Adam, where his power maintains and you've already flipped through;

View attachment 8934726

thanks. Lots of great things to digest and work on. I'm sure this will generate a lot more questions in the future. but this gives me a few new things to work on.

Hey dude! Thanks for the posts and videos. Swing looks pretty good man.

I’m no pro but I’ll just point out one thing I worked on quite a bit with my own swing instructor. I think it’s a bit unconventional but you look great at the top. I’d say the only big thing I’d work on is using your lower body more. Right now looks like you’re using a lot of hands and timing to catch the ball in the center. I’ll add to @Canadan post here and compare to Adam. Take a look at the difference in hip position at impact. His are a lot more rotated at impact. Imagine getting belt pointed towards the target at impact and getting that trail elbow to the right hip.
DDF3A6D7-4294-459F-91AB-F46EEBECC915.jpeg
02300A87-F97B-4BE0-A887-18D3EFB38504.jpeg
Just a start. Hope that helps some my man!

I would like to say that I never give advice during a round.....but the most important advice I’ve ever received is to put your hands in a position to hit the ball first. This means that the divot is in front of the ball. Simple but if you impact the ball first it is more likely to go to intended target.

Some things I noticed:

• your right hand looks very strong. I know you said you're fighting a slice, but I'm afraid that if you fix other parts of the swing, you're gonna start hooking it. A slice is far easier to play than a hook.
  • your club is way inside when parallel/straight back on the takeaway. I had this same issue and if you can get it a bit outside the line on the takeaway, it'll clear up some other things, too.
  • your hips are hardly moving. As has been said, the all arms swing won't get you far. I had this issue last autumn, too, and a few people pointed it out. I have been making a concerted effort to get the hips moving in the swing more. It helps when I get it all together.

View attachment 8934724

I'm going to comment and use this thread to track my progress. After seeing this flaw highlighted by Canadan, I did some internet searching for drills on swinging on plane. I reasoned that it was better to start at the beginning before moving on the the casting and release of the club issues.

A little bit later, it became frustratingly obvious that I actually need to start with his second statement. Correcting my take away being so inside.

So out came the stick in the ground. Online with my feet and waste high. For the life of me I could NOT avoid touching that stick with my golf club. It was aggravating. A few weeks ago, after some THPer group texting, I when down the Malaska rabbit hole and found L to L. That fixed my hook but seems to have brought on the slice with my irons. In my frustration, I decided to stand there and do my L to L drill. Guess what.....I stopped hitting the darn stick in the ground!

I'll avoid posting the screen shot, but I get my shaft naturally MUCH closer to my shoulder. Not to the level of Adam Scott, but so much better. Now to learn that take away from a static position instead of only getting there in the fluid rocking swing. But it's something to work on.

I ordered a hitting net today, so I can start running drills with a golf ball at home. AZ has still let golf courses stay open, so I can get to a range/course to constantly give myself ball fight feed back.

I had/have a similar problem on my take away and have a drill I can show you next time we play. I thought I was doing things right before and the “feel” my instructor gave to me with the drill feels “wrong” but he said to do it more until it feels “right”.

He has me doing it indoors without a club until the “feel” feels right.

I had/have a similar problem on my take away and have a drill I can show you next time we play. I thought I was doing things right before and the “feel” my instructor gave to me with the drill feels “wrong” but he said to do it more until it feels “right”.

He has me doing it indoors without a club until the “feel” feels right.

Sounds great Sean. Thanks

Seriously. I'm honestly shocked that DG_1234 didn't mention it.

I'd be tough for me to sort out a directional issue in my swing without bringing that back towards neutral first. Might help with the takeaway and flip, too.

thanks. Lots of great things to digest and work on. I'm sure this will generate a lot more questions in the future. but this gives me a few new things to work on.
@Canadan is right on both counts and I have really been working on both these things the last 3 months and I am finally starting to see results. A couple of things that have helped me on both insights:

Insight 1 Taking the club back to far inside. This one is actually making part 2 a bigger problem because when you get the club back so tight to your body it doesn't have room to come back down to the ball and your hands do a lot of work subconsciously trying to square the clubface. What I like to do is pick an intermediate target on the ground for the line I am aiming my shot on. When I address the ball I use this line to line up with, but I also quickly visualize the line going through the ball and back behind it. When I start my backswing I keep the clubhead on that line going back for the first couple of feet. This gets the back swing into the proper place. From there you can more powerfully swing at the ball with your body instead of using your hands to get everything timed up right.

Insight 2 Early Release. This is one I have struggled with forever and I still do at times, but I read a club fitting article that gave me a thought. Many people try to control their hands to hold the club back as long as possible, but the club fitter was saying he likes to give people lighter weight clubs because early release is a product of deceleration at the ball. Basically the hands slow down and the clubface is still going at the same speed so it's weight pulls itself right on past the hands during the crucial bottom of the swing. The key to battling early release is for your hands to be going faster than the clubface at least till the get past the ball, they cannot slow down before the ball as that is a death move. What I do is go back to my alignment line above and think about a point on that line past about a foot in front of the ball towards the target. On my through swing I want to pull the clubhead with my left hand through that point about a foot past the ball. If I do that I know I will get a nice crisp strike on the ball more often than not.

I am not an expert or anything, but these were 2 killers for me for years and these are 2 swing thoughts I have used to really improve my ballstriking over the last 4 months. I have shot my low round 2 rounds in a row at my home course.

Seriously. I'm honestly shocked that DG_1234 didn't mention it.

I'd be tough for me to sort out a directional issue in my swing without bringing that back towards neutral first. Might help with the takeaway and flip, too.

The OP's videos reveal a guy essentially making an all-arms-swing. I think (for now) the OP should get an understanding of how the entire body pivots to make an efficient , productive golf swing.
I agree with you that a fundamentally sound grip is imperative is as well, but for now I figured that the two images I attached to this thread would him to get started learning how to to turn (pivot) his entire body around a stable center. In front of a mirror he can emulate these positions.
backswing pivot.jpg

Nicklaus address position.jpg

Had a decent day driving the ball today. Had drive of 235, 261, 239, 279, 289, 240 and 259. A few others sliced to oblivion. But I think I’m making progress.

@oumagic helped me get a VFit video. This is no 1 tee. I pulled it a bit left. But I’ll take straight ball flight.

View attachment IMG_8099.MOV

I'm swinging an 8i, in slow motion, and obviously not hitting a ball.
Here's a great drill for getting the feel of having body and arms synced up; using the core to swing the club. Do it dry a few times, but then actually hit some balls with it; little pitch shots. Keep your arms and hands quiet but loose. It helps define what your take-away and impact should feel like.

View attachment BEN HOGAN Five Lessons Training ExerciseC.mov

Last edited:
Back