Just got this beauty...

UbgV2z3.jpg

So far, this is my favorite thread on any golf forum.

That hood was the COOLEST hood ever! Very cool!

Looking to purchase this car....the prices went ballistic in the last 5 years.

1970_pontiac_trans_am.jpg

Looking to purchase this car....the prices went ballistic in the last 5 years.

View attachment 32968

I had a 76 TA with 455 4 speed and it is still my favorite car ever owned. I looked at getting another one and prices are ridiculous. I have to keep playing with this.

Nat event2.jpg

Picked up a 2013 Camaro ZL1 a couple months ago. Absolutely love this car.
d73c60e4c909e3f806cb0af478409f73.jpg
2a6648b5854e9cce8e1f4ac999c676d1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Some of you have asked where my forum name comes from. Its my name I have had for a long time on my pro touring car & truck forums. I figured when I signed up for THP I would keep it the same for consistency.

My current project is my wifes 69 Camaro. She bought it from her uncle in 2011 but wanted a more reliable drivetrain and more modern comforts. My original plan was to do a simple LS swap and a few upgrades and send her on her way. When I started to take the car apart I found some things that I really didn't approve of and I didn't want to try and cover them up or leave them and create more work for myself later on. So I made the decision to completely redo the car. Im about 3 years behind on it. If someone has ever COMPLETLY rebuilt a car and to this extent to custom components and modern components.....its easy to get burned out and take a break.

Here it is right before I started the teardown

fRDLHKy.jpg

Here is the donor drivetrain from a 2000 SS Camaro with 67k miles right out of the car. Like mentioned before, I was just going to do a few things to it, install, and let her roll with it. As you will see, that didn't happen lol

A5mOWuO.jpg

And here it is in its current state. Body was completely refinished and firewall smoothed. I picked the color combo for two reasons. One, its a killer classic color combo that will never go out of style or get old. And two, its the opposite color combo from my 69 Camaro which is orange with white stripes. Subframe was pulled, stripped, and powder coated. EVERY nut, bolt, and screw is new except the upper A-Arm bolts. Rear end was gone through, stripped, and painted.

ZsCWmdc.jpg

7svNQBy.jpg

FUHeDaw.jpg

IaEuZIw.jpg

U01tLHK.jpg

Here is the current build sheet so far. Obviously these are the highlights of the build as there is much more to it than just this:

00' LS1 short block cleaned and painted
LS6 intake from 05 Z06 Corvette
Factory casting 243 heads from 05 Z06 Corvette milled .015", cleaned, and valve job w/ new valve seals
ARP Head Bolts
ARP Crank Bolt
BTR hardend pushrods
Comp custom grind cam - 227/236 - 614/621 @ 111lsa 108icl
Comp cams rocker trunion upgrade
LS7 Lifters
PAC 1211X valve springs
LH8 oil pan/pickup tube
GM high volume oil pump
LS2 timing chain
BRP oil pump girdle
Corvette C5 accessories polished
Polished Greening Machine Two Piece Billet Coil Covers
MSD 8.5mm wires (gray color)
NGK plugs
BRP LSx motor mounts
Polished timing cover
All fuel lines on engine 304 Stainless polished
CatchCans.com billet polished oil catch can w/ custom stainless lines
Nitrous Outlet F-Body 78mm plate system with custom solenoid brackets and lines.
Dual Nitrous Outlet 10lb polished bottles with billet bottle heaters and electronic openers.

TRANSMISSION
Superior shift kit
corvette 2nd apply servo
sonnax billet 4th apply servo
billet forward accumulator
1-2 accumulator
3-4 accumulator
oversized .490" boost pressure valve kit
updated valve body spacer plate
Alto red wide 2/4 band w/ reinforced anchor
New reverse drum
Billet input drum collar
Billet forward piston
Borg Warner HD (green) 3/4 clutches
Kolene coated 3/4 steels
Circle D 278mm 3200 stall speed converter
B&M Trans cooler w/ custom lines

COOLING SYSTEM
Entropy LSx Aluminum Radiator w/ fans
160' thermostat
Polished LS2 waterpump

FUEL SYSTEM
Five-O Racing Bosch EV14 44lb Injectors
Aeromotive Stealth EFI Powder Coated fuel tank with internal pump
Aeromotive Platinum Nickel Plated Billet Fuel Rails
Aeromotive X1 Billet Fuel Regulator
Aeromotive Stealth EFI 1st gen tank
Aeromotive Fittings
Aeromotive Fuel PSI Gauge
Aeromotive Black Filter 10 Micron
Fuel lines from firewall to differential custom bent 304 Stainless polished

EXHAUST
BRP 1 3/4 stainless coated LSx headers
Magnaflow 3" tig welded mandrel modified for LS drivetrain

INTERIOR
Remove entire old interior and paint/refresh
Cut out and weld in new trans tunnel panel
TMI seat cushions and covers (black w/white houndstooth)
Modified 1st Gen Console with 4th Gen Shifter
Factory GM tilt steering column w/ billet levers from GMTILT.com
Black carpet
Black door panels and other misc panels
New glass all the way around
American Autowire
Dakota Digital HDX Gauges
Vintage Air HVAC GEN IV system

EXTERIOR
re-paint:
White w/ hugger orange stripes
Chrome front and rear bumpers
Fesler Built polished billet aluminum RS taillights
Fesler Built polished billet aluminum hood and trunk hinges
Fesler Built polished billet aluminum halo driving lights
Fesler Built polished billet aluminum door handles
Dapper Lighting Halo Projector Switchback headlights.
DSE RS electric hideaway headlights and grill

SUSPENSION/STEERING
CPP Stage III Pro Touring Kit:
Tubular Upper/Lower Control Arms
QA1 Coil Springs
QA1 Adjustable Front and Rear Shocks
Drop Leaf Springs
Cal Trac Bars
Uni Steer Rack & Pinion

BRAKES
Zinc Coated Drilled/Slotted Rotors
Calipers
CPP Polished Master Cylinder
Hydratech 1st Gen Hydroboost braking system - Polished
Custom bent 304 stainless 3/16 polished brake lines.

DIFFERENTIAL/DRIVELINE
Clean and paint 8.5" 10 bolt, inspect Richmond ring/pinion, verify 3:73 ratio
T/A rear diff cover and bearing cap studs
Custom driveshaft

Ill try and update as I go along here......

Brian, where did you hide the coil packs?

Sweet piece ya got goin on, very sweet. Wife's gonna drive a stunner.

Brian, where did you hide the coil packs?

Sweet piece ya got goin on, very sweet. Wife's gonna drive a stunner.

Thanks. Long road ahead but a lot has been done. Like I mentioned, I am 3 years behind because I have taken some long breaks with it. I would get to a stopping point and just didn't have the motivation to turn the lights on and continue as weird as that might sound. And its not like this is my first car. I HOPE to have it started and running by this winter sometime. Not done, but where I can turn the key and start it.

The valve covers are two piece coil covers. Look close at the pics, you can see a top to them. They are held on by set screws two on each sides. So essentially the coil packs are inside the valve covers.

Thought I had posted here, but I guess not. I bought this last December as is. The engine has been fully rebuilt with all forged internals. She has a supercharger, headers, and pushes ~460hp/440tq. I've toyed with selling her, but haven't made up my mind. I haven't put a bunch into it, but I have done a few small things (nothing performance-wise).

Attachments

• driveway.jpg
    driveway.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks. Long road ahead but a lot has been done. Like I mentioned, I am 3 years behind because I have taken some long breaks with it. I would get to a stopping point and just didn't have the motivation to turn the lights on and continue as weird as that might sound. And its not like this is my first car. I HOPE to have it started and running by this winter sometime. Not done, but where I can turn the key and start it.

The valve covers are two piece coil covers. Look close at the pics, you can see a top to them. They are held on by set screws two on each sides. So essentially the coil packs are inside the valve covers.
Looked at the valve covers again, I see the 2 piece deal. Very cool. The top half of the valve covers over the coils have vent holes which sure helps to keep the heat down on the covered coils.

Keep on trucking at your own pace, it'll be done when it's done. Keep us posted.

Thought I had posted here, but I guess not. I bought this last December as is. The engine has been fully rebuilt with all forged internals. She has a supercharger, headers, and pushes ~460hp/440tq. I've toyed with selling her, but haven't made up my mind. I haven't put a bunch into it, but I have done a few small things (nothing performance-wise).
I used to have the same car with a similar build. Sold it to upgrade to an 03 Cobra. Sold that when I got married and wanted it back ever since.

Some of you have asked where my forum name comes from. Its my name I have had for a long time on my pro touring car & truck forums. I figured when I signed up for THP I would keep it the same for consistency.

My current project is my wifes 69 Camaro. She bought it from her uncle in 2011 but wanted a more reliable drivetrain and more modern comforts. My original plan was to do a simple LS swap and a few upgrades and send her on her way. When I started to take the car apart I found some things that I really didn't approve of and I didn't want to try and cover them up or leave them and create more work for myself later on. So I made the decision to completely redo the car. Im about 3 years behind on it. If someone has ever COMPLETLY rebuilt a car and to this extent to custom components and modern components.....its easy to get burned out and take a break.

fRDLHKy.jpg

Here is the donor drivetrain from a 2000 SS Camaro with 67k miles right out of the car. Like mentioned before, I was just going to do a few things to it, install, and let her roll with it. As you will see, that didn't happen lol

A5mOWuO.jpg

And here it is in its current state. Body was completely refinished and firewall smoothed. I picked the color combo for two reasons. One, its a killer classic color combo that will never go out of style or get old. And two, its the opposite color combo from my 69 Camaro which is orange with white stripes. Subframe was pulled, stripped, and powder coated. EVERY nut, bolt, and screw is new except the upper A-Arm bolts. Rear end was gone through, stripped, and painted.

ZsCWmdc.jpg

7svNQBy.jpg

FUHeDaw.jpg

IaEuZIw.jpg

U01tLHK.jpg

Here is the current build sheet so far. Obviously these are the highlights of the build as there is much more to it than just this:

Factory casting 243 heads from 05 Z06 Corvette milled .015", cleaned, and valve job w/ new valve seals
ARP Head Bolts
ARP Crank Bolt
BTR hardend pushrods
LS7 Lifters
PAC 1211X valve springs
LH8 oil pan/pickup tube
GM high volume oil pump
LS2 timing chain
BRP oil pump girdle
NGK plugs
BRP LSx motor mounts
Polished timing cover
Nitrous Outlet F-Body 78mm plate system with custom solenoid brackets and lines.
Dual Nitrous Outlet 10lb polished bottles with billet bottle heaters and electronic openers.

TRANSMISSION
Superior shift kit
corvette 2nd apply servo
1-2 accumulator
3-4 accumulator
New reverse drum
Billet input drum collar
Billet forward piston
Kolene coated 3/4 steels

COOLING SYSTEM
160' thermostat
Polished LS2 waterpump

FUEL SYSTEM
Aeromotive Fittings

EXHAUST

INTERIOR
Black carpet
American Autowire

EXTERIOR
re-paint:

SUSPENSION/STEERING
QA1 Coil Springs
Drop Leaf Springs
Cal Trac Bars
Uni Steer Rack & Pinion

BRAKES
Calipers

DIFFERENTIAL/DRIVELINE
Custom driveshaft

LOVE IT!! The LS motors make mad streetable HP. A project of this magnitude is a labor of love and life gets in the way sometimes. Keep us updated, there are a few motor heads on THP.

cutlass2.jpg

Here is my sled. It is about to get paroled out of paint jail. I am itching to go LS but my old school 406 SBC just keeps going. I have an overdrive transmission with 4.11 gear so its decent on the highway and unruly off the line. I installed the complete interior from a 2011 BMW convertible. The front seats have the shoulder belts made into them so they are much safer than the original's with lap belt only. I have a hydroboost installed along with aftermarket suspension and brakes. I see you are from Hannibal MO. My wife is from Winfield which is about an hour south of you on hwy 79. I am from St. Charles.

I forgot to mention your garage. OH MA GUD!!

I forgot to mention your garage. OH MA GUD!!

haha, if you cant tell im OCD not only with my garage but with everything I do. And that's what led to this complete resto mod build because once I see something I cant just "let it go". Then when im building it, I cant just have a regular hose clamp for example, I have to have a fancy one lol and it has to be polished. Sometimes I think to myself just get the car done, stop thinking everything has to be perfect. Then I think of how it will be if I just "get it done" and im like....yeah no cant do it. I should have 10k miles on this car already. Just gotta keep chipping away.

Love the Olds. Although I like seeing/appreciate pro-touring cars/trucks, im more of a fan of a "resto mod" like what you did and what im doing. Modern touches to classic looks. I see those big Wilwoods peaking through the wheels! How do you like your Hydroboost and who did you go with? Im not going to lie, I mainly went hydroboost for the cleanliness under the hood so I didn't have to look at a huge brake booster lol I told you, im OCD. What suspension did you set up with? You said overdrive....700R4?

Yeah, been to Winfield. If I remember right, I remember seeing some kind of hot rod shop there on the main road of 79hw? I just remember driving through town and look over to the west and seeing a Camaro and a bunch of classic cars in this building like its a shop?

Looked at the valve covers again, I see the 2 piece deal. Very cool. The top half of the valve covers over the coils have vent holes which sure helps to keep the heat down on the covered coils.

The only holes in the covers are for the coil wiring and plug wires. There really isn't a "vent" hole per say although im not to concerned about it. I get the concept of air flow to them, but its not going to be drive daily and I think they will be ok.

haha, if you cant tell im OCD not only with my garage but with everything I do. And that's what led to this complete resto mod build because once I see something I cant just "let it go". Then when im building it, I cant just have a regular hose clamp for example, I have to have a fancy one lol and it has to be polished. Sometimes I think to myself just get the car done, stop thinking everything has to be perfect. Then I think of how it will be if I just "get it done" and im like....yeah no cant do it. I should have 10k miles on this car already. Just gotta keep chipping away.

Love the Olds. Although I like seeing/appreciate pro-touring cars/trucks, im more of a fan of a "resto mod" like what you did and what im doing. Modern touches to classic looks. I see those big Wilwoods peaking through the wheels! How do you like your Hydroboost and who did you go with? Im not going to lie, I mainly went hydroboost for the cleanliness under the hood so I didn't have to look at a huge brake booster lol I told you, im OCD. What suspension did you set up with? You said overdrive....700R4?

Yeah, been to Winfield. If I remember right, I remember seeing some kind of hot rod shop there on the main road of 79hw? I just remember driving through town and look over to the west and seeing a Camaro and a bunch of classic cars in this building like its a shop?

I love me some resto mods. I’ve always told myself when I have the money I’ll do a resto mod C1 vette

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fRDLHKy.jpg

A5mOWuO.jpg

ZsCWmdc.jpg

7svNQBy.jpg

FUHeDaw.jpg

IaEuZIw.jpg

U01tLHK.jpg

ARP Head Bolts
ARP Crank Bolt
BTR hardend pushrods
LS7 Lifters
PAC 1211X valve springs
LH8 oil pan/pickup tube
GM high volume oil pump
LS2 timing chain
BRP oil pump girdle
NGK plugs
BRP LSx motor mounts
Polished timing cover

TRANSMISSION
Superior shift kit
corvette 2nd apply servo
1-2 accumulator
3-4 accumulator
New reverse drum
Billet input drum collar
Billet forward piston
Kolene coated 3/4 steels

COOLING SYSTEM
160' thermostat
Polished LS2 waterpump

FUEL SYSTEM
Aeromotive Fittings

EXHAUST

INTERIOR
Black carpet
American Autowire

EXTERIOR
re-paint:

SUSPENSION/STEERING
QA1 Coil Springs
Drop Leaf Springs
Cal Trac Bars
Uni Steer Rack & Pinion

BRAKES
Calipers

DIFFERENTIAL/DRIVELINE
Custom driveshaft

Really nice looking. Bringing back memories of my 68Z.

I love me some resto mods. I’ve always told myself when I have the money I’ll do a resto mod C1 vette

Vettes are awesome, but as much as I want to I just don't think I would own one. Strictly my opinion only. Mainly because the room tolerances working on them are so tight it would drive me crazy. Iv worked on many of my friends C3,4,5,6's and I cuss them to the moon and back lol They are worse than trying to install a set of long tube headers on an LT 4th gen Camaro/Trans am...it makes you not want to work on cars lol

Vettes are awesome, but as much as I want to I just don't think I would own one. Strictly my opinion only. Mainly because the room tolerances working on them are so tight it would drive me crazy. Iv worked on many of my friends C3,4,5,6's and I cuss them to the moon and back lol They are worse than trying to install a set of long tube headers on an LT 4th gen Camaro/Trans am...it makes you not want to work on cars lol

Haha... I like muscle cars and fast cars... but don’t know what I’m doing with them...

I am a perfectionist as well and I feel your pain. I can tell you there is NOTHING perfect about putting a late model interior in an old car. I went with the CPP showstopper hydroboost kit. My engine has a nasty cam so vacuum brakes were sketchy. I need to switch back to a standard power steering pump pulley because my underdrive setup is too slow at idle. Otherwise the hydroboost is great. The front suspension is Global West upper and lowers with a 1" taller ball joint in the upper arms. The rear is Currie arms with the spherical johny joints. The rear has UMI braces everywhere and Chris Alston aluminum shocks all around. 700r4 with reverse pattern manual valve body.

I moved away from Missouri in 1989 when I was 19 yo. I remember the shop you are talking about but never went in to talk to them. They had a GT500 mustang that sat in the parking lot for 20+ years, what a waste.

I am a perfectionist as well and I feel your pain. I can tell you there is NOTHING perfect about putting a late model interior in an old car. I went with the CPP showstopper hydroboost kit. My engine has a nasty cam so vacuum brakes were sketchy. I need to switch back to a standard power steering pump pulley because my underdrive setup is too slow at idle. Otherwise the hydroboost is great. The front suspension is Global West upper and lowers with a 1" taller ball joint in the upper arms. The rear is Currie arms with the spherical johny joints. The rear has UMI braces everywhere and Chris Alston aluminum shocks all around. 700r4 with reverse pattern manual valve body.

I moved away from Missouri in 1989 when I was 19 yo. I remember the shop you are talking about but never went in to talk to them. They had a GT500 mustang that sat in the parking lot for 20+ years, what a waste.

Yeah, it takes imagination and ingenuity to do things like that. Im actually installing a 4th gen Camaro A4 shifter into a 1st Gen Camaro console. Its looking like im going to have to shorten the shift lever on the trans a little to work with the factory 4th gen shift cable assy. I was originally going to use the factory horseshoe shifter but thought that I have a 4th gen drivetrain why not the 4th gen shifter to match. I think it will look clean after doing some things to the console to tie it all together.

I went with Hydratech for hydroboost but went with the CPP master cylinder. The guy at Hydratech has been super helpful and informative. Im thinking im going to have a cover machined for the fluid reservoir on that master cylinder so I can eliminate the giant CPP logo. Not a fan of that kind of advertising.

Your car isn't a solid axle in the rear?

What was your reason to go with a manual valve body?

Wow, that's crazy on the GT500. After googling the shops name its Wolfman Customizing and Restoration. Ill have to ask around at the next cruise in or car show to see if anyone knows much about them.

Last edited:
Your car isn't a solid axle in the rear?

What was your reason to go with a manual valve body?

The rear end is a twelve bolt with Strange axles and posi unit. The 700r4 is notoriously weak unless its built with really good parts. My trans builder thinks it is the way to go to make it last behind the 550hp motor. I had a manual TH350 before so it does not bother me to shift it.

I love 60's muscle cars and have owned a 68 Mustang fastback with a 302 and 4 speed manual transmission made to look like Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang and my buddy had a 68 Camaro with a 327 and 4-speed vertical gate shifter. She was fast. His father had a shop so we'd work on our cars there. Lots of good memories in those cars and lots of teen stupidity. Neither of us have them anymore but it's my dream to have a 60's Mustang Fastback again or Camaro before I snuff it.

My 2006 CL 55 AMG (493HP with 516 ft/lbs of torque), is for me 'the ultimate Muscle Car'

My2006CL55AMG1.jpg

Last edited:
Back