Smiter

Dunce Cap For A Bit
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok first of all, I suffer form agonizing muscle cramps at times. Way too often I’ll wake up at 3:00 and there’ll be a softball sized lump on my back thigh and I’ll wake up screaming. Just rude.

Obviously a lack of some mineral. I drink well over a gallon of water a day (average about 1.4) and potassium and sodium levels are fine. I’ve never given much thought to other electrolytes but has anyone in a similar situation benefitted from a magnesium supplement ? I can find that supplement if needed. Is there another more nefarious act at work? Doubt it. Somethings out of whack.

Full disclosure I have developed dystonia from either CCT or nuclear medicine. I’d bet nuclear medicine. But I’ve always had this issue so I don’t think one has to do with another? Issue being cramping not dystonia. That’s a new and fun one.

I know not everyone subscribes to this idea, but have you looked at the restless leg syndrome solutions? I’ve struggled with it since I was a kid and it’s always tied to at least one of: stress, lack of sleep or water consumption.

I can usually have a good idea of when it’s coming so have a gambit of remedies handy: heat pad, percussion massager, EMS/TENS device, or a 26oz Canadian Whiskey.

You said potassium and sodium levels are good. What about iron? I understand that nuclear medicine and iron have a correlation.

Pickle juice or mustard packets have worked for me.

I had a similar issue some years ago. Pain worse than childbirth.:)
The craps disappeared when I did regular stretching and started taking tropical flavoured effervescent electrolyte tablets whenever I exercised or played golf.

I use the theragun mini and have not had leg cramps since using it...about 8 months

I drink water w minerals, too.

Last edited:
I wish I had a good solution but if you find one please post. My wife gets them in her calves and same thing, she'll literally wake up at 3 AM in tears.

I get them in my calves sometimes. Lately I've been drinking more water before bed time. That, and vitamins. Also, a good walk before bed seems to help.
I still get them, but they are not as painful.

I know if I get an inkling they are going to be a problem that night, I spend the night in my recliner. Having my torso above my legs helps. I never get them, stretched out in my recliner.

1619698499552.jpeg

I get them in my Thighs so bad, it feels like I'm being stabbed.
I take these when I think it might happen (Long round of Golf in the heat).
They also have a lotion for instant relief (Like BenGay)

1619698550471.png

I also make sure I use Liquid IV during my round - can get it on Amazon

Will also take this at night:

Last edited:
I always thought muscle cramps were mainly related to lack of potassium... you say your potassium is good. Good thing because too much potassium causes problems too right?

I'm not much help. I've got a calf that I can feel wants to cramp up so I try not to let that bastard stretch to where it does in fact cramp. That'll show it.:LOL:

Maybe try some alkaline water? Just throwing darts here. I don't know if it works or not, I've never tried it.

I get them in my Thighs so bad, it feels like I'm being stabbed.
I take these when I think it might happen (Long round of Golf in the heat).
They also have a lotion for instant relief (Like BenGay)

I also make sure I use Liquid IV during my round - can get it on Amazon

Will also take this at night:

I've got a bag of that Liquid IV on my desk at work. It's the lemon ginger flavor. I tried it once so far. It didn't taste too bad I guess. But it turned the water I poured it in a shade of green that made me think of pond water. It looked almost like one of those green naked drinks that are sold in convenience stores.

I recently moved to a new home and the packing up and moving boxes around had my legs pretty tired. A few nights, I’d wake up with several muscles in my legs cramping up at the same time. I believe mine come from being out of shape. Last year, I was walking 2-4 miles every day prior to the golf courses opening up during the Covid shutdown. Never got any cramps once I started playing. I haven’t been able to walk much this year and my senior legs aren’t in as good condition. Now that I’m moving more, playing golf and doing more walking, the cramps have diminished.

I've got a bag of that Liquid IV on my desk at work. It's the lemon ginger flavor. I tried it once so far. It didn't taste too bad I guess. But it turned the water I poured it in a shade of green that made me think of pond water. It looked almost like one of those green naked drinks that are sold in convenience stores.
Yeah, that flavor has Matcha Tea in it for Caffeine - Try the Lemon Lime - You won't be disappointed.

I always thought muscle cramps were mainly related to lack of potassium... you say your potassium is good. Good thing because too much potassium causes problems too right?

I'm not much help. I've got a calf that I can feel wants to cramp up so I try not to let that bastard stretch to where it does in fact cramp. That'll show it.:LOL:

Maybe try some alkaline water? Just throwing darts here. I don't know if it works or not, I've never tried it.
I have a golf partner who is a Doctor of Geriatrics and the first word that comes out his mouth when we talk about Muscle Craps is "Magnesium"

I have issues with cramps and do a couple of things to help with them. I use NuuN tablets daily. I also take magnesium supplements daily and an extra one on days I play golf. For me it started after a serious health issue that caused me to lose a bunch of weight and seemed to strip me of nutrients.

I also eat bananas every day.

I use a Magnesium soak and Theraworx relief spray foam.
1619701402492.png1619701622054.png

I had a similar issue some years ago. Pain worse than childbirth.:)
The craps disappeared when I did regular stretching and started taking tropical flavoured effervescent electrolyte tablets whenever I exercised or played golf.

Well I’m glad you got rid of the diarrhea, 🤣.

I use the theragun mini and have not had leg cramps since using it...about 8 months

I drink water w minerals, too.

To add, I hit my calves hard with the Theragun Mini and it hurt like heck - didn't realize they were that tight just resting. It took about 5 days to get the tightness out of the calves. Since then, as I stated, no issues. I use the Mini regularly.

I have had them for over 20 years now. I wouldn't even call them cramps. They are far worse. They are incredibly painful muscle contractions. A Charlie Horse X 10! Sometimes I get one starting in one leg and before I can even get up to try and stop it, the other leg gets one and I fall to my knees crying in pain. My wife feels helpless, but is used to it now. About ten years ago, I found out my 82 year old Mom gets them too. (Now 92 and still going strong!) We have commiserated endlessly about what we can do. She mentioned my sister gets them as well. So, maybe it's hereditary.

I have tried almost everything mentioned above. The only thing that works once a cramp starts is damp heat, but it certainly doesn't solve the issue instantly. It helps calm it down over a 5-10 minute period. I typically wet a towel with hot, hot water out of the tap and wrap or apply pressure to the contracting area. In the meantime, my wife will wet another and throw it in the microwave.

I now have a Theragun Elite on order and am hopeful it will help in the battle.

My Mom recently mentioned she purchased a medical grade ThermoRelief moist heating pad which seems to be helping her. It heats up very quickly. It has four heat settings, the highest, plenty hot. She puts it over her legs on one of the lower settings when she goes to sleep and so far, she has had no middle-of-the-night episodes. She's so confident it is helping her that she sent me one. They're about $50 on Amazon. I have used it for a few weeks, but not the way she does. Though I get the contractions in my calves, fingers, toes, etc., the quads are the primary place I get them and they are the absolute most painful along the back or insides of my thighs (which is, of course, the largest muscle group). So, I just throw the pad over (and between) my thighs on high heat for 15 minutes on those evenings I feel I'm susceptable, maybe after a long day of walking the course. So far, I have had no bad ones, but it's only been a week or so that I have had it. When (and if) I do get a bad one, I will immediately apply the pad and see if it calms it down quickly. Fingers crossed. These suckers are debilitating when they come on. Sometimes they are so bad, there is a knot in the muscle for a day or two afterward which stays sore for the period.

Those of you who have never had them, have no idea how painful some of these attacks can be. Hopefully, you will be lucky enough to never find out.

Yeah too much potassium causes problems too. Just minor things like heart attacks and stuff, 🤣

I’ve tried the high PH water before (9.5 IIRC). It tasted like ozone would taste to me, at least in my head, lol. But I’ll certainly try it again over pickle juice. Ick.

Low iron as others mentioned can cause it. It’s worth having tested. It can result from certain cancer treatments.

I have issues with cramps and do a couple of things to help with them. I use NuuN tablets daily. I also take magnesium supplements daily and an extra one on days I play golf. For me it started after a serious health issue that caused me to lose a bunch of weight and seemed to strip me of nutrients.

I also eat bananas every day.

I’ve dealt with them my entire life but I could always go back and point to what caused them. “Oh, football game and I didn’t pre-hydrate.”Now that I’m properly hydrating due to chronic kidney stones, I still have them.

I’ve lost 80# total now as well due to a serious illness which is now better and working hard at it. I took the fact that I hated food for a while and made it a positive. I eat to live now, not the other way around.

I’ve worked out hard the past couple months, but due to changes in body chemistry from weight loss and meds, I just don’t sweat hard like I used to. So it’s not like I’m dripping out all the sodium in me.

Seems like magnesium may be the best answer? Or a Theragun? I’ll give a magnesium supplement a whirl first. I think I have some that I bought to prevent kidney stones, got one while I was taking it, and flipped it the bird.

Low iron as others mentioned can cause it. It’s worth having tested. It can result from certain cancer treatments.

I had my bloodwork done every three months while being treated if not more. Nothing was ever seriously out of whack but it’s been 3-4 months since I stopped nuclear medicine, so probably 5-6 since bloodwork?. I wish my body would realize that, I still have most of the side effects although they do seem to be lessening.... some.

I would get your sodium levels checked. Actually drinking too much water can be just as bad as not enough. Look up Hyponatremia.

I have started drinking liquid IV when I play, and if it is hot, I will throw some nuun tablets in another bottle. Theraworx also works, and I am someone that a spoonful of yellow mustard and they just stop.

Back