My GolfTec Experience

Dave Alvarado

Reaction score
Handicap
This afternoon I had a swing analysis at GolfTec and wanted to post about the experience.

My local GolfTec is based in the Golfsmith just a few miles down the highway from me. My appointment was with Justin, a mid-20's guy who has been coaching for about a year.

I showed up with my full bag, but just needed the 6 iron. Justin had me stretch and take a few practice swings, then hit a few balls on the launch monitor, all of which went off to the right (my typical hit). He then wired me up for motion capture, which involved basically putting on a belt thingy and a tiny backpack thingy that gave me a "tail", basically a really long cable that let me move around anywhere in the room. He had me address the ball then stand straight up with my arms at my sides so he could calibrate the machine.

All wired up, I then hit a half dozen balls or so, then Justin called me over to look at the video. There is a camera in the room facing straight at me and one facing down the line, so we could see both angles. The stuff I was wired up to did motion capture, so he could see things like what angle I was turning my hips and shoulders at every point in my swing. The video system also let him draw lines and pull up captured swings of various professionals.

My takeaway was good, but my swing fell apart by the top of the backswing. I turn my hips too far backward, sway too far backward, let my left elbow bend and cock my wrists too much, and end up on a much too vertical plane. Trying to get from that point to the point of impact is where all my swing problems are coming from. I'm on too much of a vertical down-swing, my contact is inconsistent because my swing plane varies, and I'm consistently hitting fat because my weight is on my back foot and I've swayed backward quite a bit.

After figuring out all the various things that are wrong, Justin got me started on some things to improve. The three items I have to work on right now are:

1. Keep my weight 60% front foot, 40% rear foot during my backswing
2. Keep my head centered
3. Keep my left arm straight--it should feel like I'm pushing the grip away from me at the top of my backswing

Just putting those three things into practice, I was suddenly hitting straighter and farther with less effort. I've always felt like I have to put a lot of muscle into hitting the ball to get distance, because my swing was horribly inefficient. As I add efficiency, I'm getting the same distance with less effort.

Since Justin's coaching style works so well for me, I went ahead and signed up for the full on lesson package, the "Game Plan 12-52" which gives me 52 half-hour lesson credits (a lesson a week) and 12 months of video practice, meaning I can book time in the video rooms to practice on my own when they're not being used for lessons. That way I can hit on a launch monitor and see myself on film at the same time to see whether I'm actually doing what I'm supposed to be doing. It's not cheap--the total is about $3000. They do a finance plan, so I paid about $740 up front and will be paying about $210/mo for a year. For the next few months I'll be fixing my swing one piece at a time and practicing, then we'll probably transition lessons to on-course when I'm ready and the weather is better.

If you've been wondering about GolfTec, I recommend at least going for a swing analysis and seeing how you like it. Obviously your experience will depend a lot on whether the coach works well for you. I feel like I got lucky with Justin, but on the other hand the tools are all there to really get feedback on what you're doing--you get to see exactly what the coach sees. Instead of the coach watching you and trying to communicate verbally what you need to do to improve, he or she can communicate visually, showing you exactly what you're doing compared to what pros do. That type of feedback works really well for me, and I'm excited about improving my swing and my game a bunch over the next year.

Very nice. It should provide great improvement. Main thing is practicing the things you learn during the lesson. It will take time and reps but it's worth it!

GolfTec is great. I am so pleased with my ongoing lessons. Having that online lesson log with the videos and the notes are the best part. I use mine all the time.

GolfTec is a big reason why my handicap was cut in half for the majority of last year. I've struggled recently, so I've been trying to justify spending the money on it again. I keep going back to my videos to listen to my coach again. I saw big improvements in my game.

Did my first practice session last night. It's cool getting to play with the video stuff yourself. But, I figured out pretty quickly that it's a rabbit hole--I spent way too much time trying to "fix" things that weren't part of my last lesson, and in the end I just got myself confuzzled. When I took a step back and just applied the stuff I learned Sunday to my normal swing, I saw improvement again. I think I need to do another more focused practice session to try to make the changes my coach made stick a little better.

Great stuff. Looking forward to following along.

Goodluck Dave! I look forward to reading more about your progress and hopefully catching a round with you soon.

My GolfTec Experience

Good Read. Sounds like it's a great plan with lots of access to practice on your on and with Justin.

Sure it's a bit pricey. Bit I think it's a good value for what you're getting.

Keep us posted on your progress.

I was thinking of doing some GolfTec lessons. I definitely am big on the tech behind it and the video of my swing. I know I am just little things away from playing much better and dropping a lot of strokes off my rounds, but I need to be able to see it. Good luck with your journey Dave!

I was talking to my instructor yesterday and come March I'm probably going to sign up for the 40 lesson package since my 15 lesson package is near complete. Before lessons I was a 13 handicap. Now I'm unofficially a 7.5 and that is just 3 months worth of work. I cannot talk it up enough.

Sure it's a bit pricey. Bit I think it's a good value for what you're getting.
That's the straight-up truth. You get a lot, but you spend a lot to get it.

For me it feels like the right fit for two big reasons:

1. I'm willing to commit a year of effort to trying to get halfway decent. Spending the $$$ makes me focus and take the lessons and the work seriously. If I spend a month going to lessons but not practicing and improving, I just wasted a couple hundred bucks.

2. I'm a computer guy for a living, so naturally I'm kind of left-brained and dig data-driven high-tech stuff. Give me electronic toys and measurements and I'm in hog heaven. GolfTEC is geared around that kind of approach.

I'll definitely keep posting through the year about how things are going. I've got a game with some of the DFW guys on Saturday, it's going to be a hackfest on my part (which is why I'm playing with THP members), but it's also a baseline so I can see how I'm improving. My plan is to keep mixing in games along with the lessons, so I can get a handicap then hopefully see that handicap go down. Plus I don't want to spend a few months just learning to hit off mats then get on the course and hit terribly. Been there, done that. :)

I did a 6 month lesson package with GolfTec last year. I certainly learned some things, but I had an EXTREMELY hard time hitting in small the enclosed bays. Good luck with the lessons!

We just had a GolfTec open up here in Kelowna last year. I was completely undecided as to if I should switch to them for lessons. I'm also the analytical type and thought I could benefit from this. The issue for me is that I have a great instructor and he has a flightscope and uses the Nevada Bob's bay for winter lessons.
I was going back and forth on what to do until an annual Vegas golf trip last November. On the 2013 trip my buddies and I were all mid 90's golfers. They had been using Golftec in Calgary for about a year. One buddy shot low 90's and the other around 95. I was around 97. These guys had spent thousands at GolfTec. I hadn't started any lessons yet.
Move ahead to last November. My buddies spent thousands again at GolfTec throughout the year. I started lessons in February with my current coach. I maybe had spent $400 total with him at that point. In Vegas, my buddies shot the same. The low nineties guy averaged 92. The mid nineties guy averaged 94. I shot 84 and 88. My GolfTec buddies were blown away. I had improved by at least 10 strokes over the year and spent 1/3 of what they had.
I guess my point is that I think it all depends on your teacher or pro. The right one will fit you perfectly and help you the most. Perhaps it's GolfTec and perhaps not. My pro has got me looking to break 80 this summer. He has me working on one thing at a time. First it was clubpath, then clubface. Now it's body rotation. It's easy and I don't think about positions throughout the swing. I saw my buddies struggle with this in Vegas and it truly took the enjoyment away from their game.
Sorry about the rant.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice write-up, good luck on your journey, I wish I had the patience to do it.

Sounds very interesting and the video capabilities sound really beneficial. I have only heard great things about GolfTec.

Good luck with the lessons! the tech guy in me wants to go play with all the stuff but the closest GolfTec is way over a hour away via heavy traffic. Not sure which guy will win!

Had another practice session tonight. I got there early to try out the Callaway Apex irons since jhoeffer99 had a set for sale (mine now!). My coach came walking up as I was hitting some shots in the Golfsmith bays and we chatted a bit about clubs. It turned out he was done with lessons and just killing time, so he said go ahead and head into the practice room early. I ended up basically getting a free lesson as we were chatting while I was hitting balls. Tonight I got into a room with a launch monitor in addition to the cameras so I could actually see how I was doing. I was consistently hitting right and the lesson part came in as he was explaining what caused that flight path and I was figuring out ways to fix it. I also got a few "sneak peeks" at what will be coming in the future as we talked more in depth about swing dynamics. For right now, I'm completely focused on internalizing "good" swing moves a few at a time. I've been practicing keeping more weight on my front foot, keeping my left arm straight, and keeping my head steady. Tonight I added trying to get a feel for a flatter swing plane as opposed to my attempts to swing vertically down into the ball. I'm also working on taking a lot of load out of my wrists in my back swing (I know, right?). It turns out that I'm loading my wrists way too much without rotating my shoulders back so much, which is just giving me way too much to try to do getting the clubface square at impact. Less load meant a little less distance, but straighter shots. Adding a little more upper body twist on the backswing got all that distance back with interest--proof again for me that dynamics beats strength every time.

I didn't do any work with the cameras tonight, just hit balls and watched the launch monitor. I was hitting a 6 iron all of 90 yards, but after a half hour they were a dead straight and consistent 90 yards. The key for me right now is to be patient--I've been at this a little under 2 weeks now. It's more important for me to be hitting 90 yards with a much improved swing than it is to hit 150 yards and spray balls all over the place.

Oh, and I got one more lesson in the mental game--my shots got *really* consistent when my coach and I were just talking about playing music (I play bass, he plays guitar and drums), bands we like, how we practice instruments, etc. all while I was hitting balls. I wasn't really thinking about what I was doing, I was just in a groove putting all the pieces together and building some good muscle memory. After a while I said something about how I was hitting a lot straighter and he told me he had been playing a little mental game with me, keeping me just distracted enough that I wasn't overthinking anything. He recommended an iPod or something when practicing by myself, anything to keep from getting too stuck in my own head and thinking my way out of a good shot. I'll be trying to figure out ways to put that concept into practice.

Oh and one last note, I made a total mistake buying graphite shaft irons in an attempt to save my hands during mis-hits. Practicing with a steel shafted iron is the way to go, the feedback from mishits is incredibly useful when trying to learn. The good news is I bought my Taylormade irons used, so I should be able to get back about what I paid for them.

My experience with GolfTec has been great. I first got a package of 5 lessons and after it ended, I added a package of 10. I plan on extending my lesson package regardless of how much better I'm playing. I go every 2-3 months for a regular checkup on my progress or when I'm having issues that I need corrected. It's good to know that there is a coach you can go to when needed. The video analysis is key in spotting your problem areas.

Had one more practice before playing tomorrow, just to hit all my clubs. Practicing without the flight monitor kind of sucks...

On the upside, I hit a R15 with a stiff staff followed my by SLDR S. I don't need to spend $500 anytime soon. But on the upside, 3 of 5 drives went just shy of 200 yards and were within 10 yards of the center line. I was impressed with myself on those. Let's see if I can do that again tomorrow. :)

I've considered GolfTec but the one near me has gotten horrible reviews, and even when I tried to look past that, and called to try and get something set up (twice), BOTH people in the phone were absolute tooldbags.

I've considered GolfTec but the one near me has gotten horrible reviews, and even when I tried to look past that, and called to try and get something set up (twice), BOTH people in the phone were absolute tooldbags.

Not the first time I've heard this. Again, it all depends on the pro.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was going to do GolfTec but the Pro there said he was only interested in rebuilding my swing and then tried to push a 3 lesson plan.
Didn't make much sense to me.

I was going to do GolfTec but the Pro there said he was only interested in rebuilding my swing and then tried to push a 3 lesson plan.
Didn't make much sense to me.

Well that's rather off putting.

I really get the impression that they don't want to work with you unless you are swiping the Platinum Card.
At least the location I went to.

They do seem rather focused on long term lesson plans, very much like gyms are focused on getting you to sign a contract. That being said, as far as the actual content and teaching I've heard that they do a great job.

Back