My Home Course Sold - Gateway National

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
I knew it was coming since the property has been staked out for a couple of months but World Wide Technology bought my home course. It’s official today.

The rumor is that they want to convert it into another racing venue to expand the Gateway Racetrack next door. I’m really bummed since it’s unlikely that World Wide Technology will continue to operate it as a golf course for more than a couple of years.

Please hope for the best.

Sucks I know. Courses around me have been dropping like flies. Prime pieces of real estate that everyone wants to build on. Hoping for the best (y)

I knew it was coming since the property has been staked out for a couple of months but World Wide Technology bought my home course. It’s official today.

The rumor is that they want to convert it into another racing venue to expand the Gateway Racetrack next door. I’m really bummed since it’s unlikely that World Wide Technology will continue to operate it as a golf course for more than a couple of years.

Please hope for the best.
damn, that really sucks. it's a great course for the money and fairly convenient to get to.

That is a bummer. I am sure they cashed out, but that course will be gone in a few. Wish they would keep it going.

With the growth here in the Myrtle Beach area we have lost a number of golf courses to developments. Fortunately we have a plethora of courses here, over 50 in a 30 mile area, from the very good (True Blue and Caledonia to Azalea Sands and Arcadia Shores and everything in between)

That sucks to hear, but money talks and they probably realized it was to good of a deal to pass up. Hopefully it stays open but if the track bought it, it is unlikely to last more than a year or two.

That’s too bad. I don’t know the area, but hopefully you can find something to replace it.

Im curious though, what could they possibly do/want with the course property? Granted this photo could be old, but the course seems so out of the way from the other areas surrounding the racetrack...unless they REALLY wanted your range space

23CF54B5-EFC2-4DC6-B385-257B618542C4.jpeg

Sounds I need to get my ass down there to play it before they stop mowing it

Sorry to hear that, hopefully the employees have sufficient time to find work. I truly enjoyed that course.

o
That sucks to hear, but money talks and they probably realized it was to good of a deal to pass up. Hopefully it stays open but if the track bought it, it is unlikely to last more than a year or two.
That’s too bad. I don’t know the area, but hopefully you can find something to replace it.

Im curious though, what could they possibly do/want with the course property? Granted this photo could be old, but the course seems so out of the way from the other areas surrounding the racetrack...unless they REALLY wanted your range space

View attachment 8920086
The rumor is that they want to put in a road style track to host open wheel racing. Apparently there may be a master plan to Make this whole area a major racing destination.

The good news is that it sits in protected wetlands so there are stringent permitting processes to do anything. So if this does come to fruition it will take a couple of years just to go through the permitting process. In the mean time, World Wide Technologies tends to put money into anything they buy so the course could see a nice influx of money to keep it in pristine shape until then.

Hate to hear this. Hopefully they will continue to maintain it for quite some time as a golf course.

I just got some unbelievable news today about Gateway. The new owner has no intention of bull dozing the course. In fact there is a really cool plan being worked out. Right now there is no where around for the race drivers to stay so he is looking at adding villas/cabins in a few places on the course outskirts as an overnight destination for the race car drivers. There will definitely be money put into the course - the person I spoke to (one of the former course owners) says he would expect them do a complete bunker renovation - drainage, bunker liner and go with white sand - and leveling of the 5 or 6 tee boxes that have crowned really bad over the last 20 years.

It’s great to hear the course won’t be closed and even better news that the new owner wants to put some $$$$ into it.

Bummer, hope they don’t turn it into another parking lot.

Dang! I hope the update works out! Sounds like they could be making some improvements!

I just got some unbelievable news today about Gateway. The new owner has no intention of bull dozing the course. In fact there is a really cool plan being worked out. Right now there is no where around for the race drivers to stay so he is looking at adding villas/cabins in a few places on the course outskirts as an overnight destination for the race car drivers. There will definitely be money put into the course - the person I spoke to (one of the former course owners) says he would expect them do a complete bunker renovation - drainage, bunker liner and go with white sand - and leveling of the 5 or 6 tee boxes that have crowned really bad over the last 20 years.

It’s great to hear the course won’t be closed and even better news that the new owner wants to put some $$$$ into it.
great news!

Bummer, hope they don’t turn it into another parking lot.
Oh man didn’t even see that! Great news & bring on the golf & upgrades!

GREAT NEWS!!!

Fantastic course that could use a little loving care. The company that bought them has the ability to spend what they need to spend. Sounds like they have to desire to make it great.

This is awesome news, glad to hear it! (y)

That's awesome!

My home course was up for sale a few years ago and development was on the table. Luckily, it didn't sell. Instead, they decided to shorten a few holes and add more homes. I'm not happy about that, and I think it will significantly change the character of the course, but I'd much rather had it stay a golf course.

This is good to hear. I hate to think of our area losing a top tier golf course.

Back