My instructor doesn't want me reading golf magazines???

JM82

Reaction score
Handicap
Mid/high
I've only been playing golf for 7 years, I'm 48 years old, and just started taking lessons this past April. Yeah, I know, I should've started them 7 years ago but it's all water under the bridge now! Anyway, the other day at my lesson my instructor was reminding me about keeping my chin up and not looking down at the ball at address. I mentioned to him about an article (by Barry Goldstein) I had just read in the August 2012 issue of "Golf Tips" a few weeks ago, about imagining that you have a grapefruit under your chin at address. My instructor said something to the effect about how I shouldn't be reading golf magazines because if I read articles about something that we're not working on that it could confuse me, and that if I continue to read those magazines then I don't need him as an instructor. He seemed very adamant about it.

This really perplexed me because I'm trying to be the best golfer that I can be, and I enjoy reading "Golf Tips", "Golf Digest" and "Golf Magazine." In fact I subscribe to all 3 of those magazines. I just figured that with the combination of reading instructional articles and taking golf lessons that it can make me a better golfer in the long run. I do kind of understand what my instructor's concerns are, but at the same time I don't want to have to stop reading those magazines altogether.

I was unable to discuss this matter in depth with my instructor because my lesson was almost over and he had another lesson to give right after mine.

So do all instructors feel this way? Should I move on to another instructor since I disagree with him on this matter? I like my instructor and he has helped me improve and I do feel that we have a good raport. But as I said, I'm perplexed over what he thinks about the magazine/instructions thing!

I love it when my clients read golf magazines/ watch Golf Channel/ look up tips on YouTube... it guarantees they'll get confused/misdirected and need more lessons from me!

Surely I jest. Sort of.

I actually encourage my clients to take in as much golf information as they can. But I have a rule: if you don't know if it applies to you, please ask me.

Crude analogy- magazines these days have ads for all kinds of prescription medications that the layman may think "that could help my condition, I should try that." If those medications were readily available over the counter, I'm guessing we'd have some pretty serious dependency/drug interaction/overdose/allergic reaction issues. (If anything, guys might be walking around perpetually aroused and seeking medical attention for something lasting more than 4 hours, if you catch my drift). But they aren't OTC; we have to go see our doctor for their professional opinion on whether it would work for us in our current condition. Think of all those swing tips as medication. They may help, they may hurt. Only the professional that is working with your swing really knows.

When a client comes in with an article and asks my opinion, I love it. It shows they have a passion to improve and the wisdom to know that there is more than one way to make a change. I don't feel slighted at all; it's a great learning process. On the other side of the coin, if a client comes in a week or so after the last lesson and has gone backwards because they "tried a tip", I know I failed them in giving them enough information to make a decision that would benefit rather than harm them.

So how about try this before you jump ship- tell your instructor you love the game so much that you can't put the magazines down. And that you want to bring the articles/tips to him during your next lesson and ask him which apply to you. If he is opposed, he's a tyrant and likely insecure that his methods are the correct methods for you (sounds harsh- sorry). If he agrees, he clearly has your best interest in mind and in the process, you'll learn a ton more about your swing.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara, CA

I read golf magazines but I just pass by the golf tips. I'll get mine from a real live human, as in my teacher.

GolfTec, what you said makes 100% sense! But I need to clarify that I don't stray from what my instructor teaches me, even though the golf instructional articles may teach something a little different. I do read them but I don't apply them now since I'm taking lessons, except for the grapefruit analogy, and that wasn't anything radically different than what my instructor was teaching me. So that's why I had mentioned the article to him. Before I began golf lessons, yes, I applied, or attempted to apply, what I learned out of magazines, books or off the Golf Channel (various Golf Channel Academy episodes, The Golf Fix, and School Of Golf)

I talked to a friend of mine last night about what my golf instructor said, and he has heard the same thing, that golf instructors aren't too keen on their students reading instructions from the various golf magazines, over concern of their students doing something different than what their instructor is trying to teach them.

I'll stick with my current instructor, since I now understand, and appreciate, what he meant the other day. As far as the magazines, I'll continue to read them, but will ask my instructor's opinion if I read something different than what he's attempting to teach me.

I also enjoy watching the various Golf Channel instructional programs as well, as mentioned above. Things can get a little confusing with all the information that's given between the magazines and the GC shows. But everything's so similar, at least the way I see it, in what the various instructors are trying to teach in the magazines and on the GC shows, that I can understand how the amateur's instructors could be concerned that their students may try shortcuts or totally stray from what they're attempting to teach them.

I do have a passion for golf, and I'm only trying to get better, like everyone else here in the forums, that I can't help but watch the various Golf Channel instructional shows and read golf magazines. I was only thinking that they could help improve my game. But I now know that they may hinder my progress if I'm not careful.

Last edited:
I can definitely see how they might hurt you. Ill be honest though, I read golf magazines frequently and have applied a few things to try and improve. Nothing drastic though, but 2 things that stick out is, I read an article about straight back straight through putting and it really helped me, and another article about hitting out of bunkers really helped me. Too much though and I bet it could destroy your game.

Maybe it's just me but I have a book that has a lot of the articles from golf digest and from one tip to another, they contradict themselves. I like to use them for reference but my Club Pro is the one I work with instead of relying on quick fix tips in magazines

Quit reading tips, listening to friends or watching it on TV. I have seen to many juniors taking lessons that are ruined by well meaning family members and/or friends. When one of my kids starts with lessons I make it clear I won't be giving any more advice nor should any of the family and friends.

hackin

Sometimes, my instructor will give me a drill that is in direct conflict with what I read. After I go throught my instructor's drill between lessons, he will very often show and tell me why I needed that particular drill, even though it might have seemed contradictory at first!

He teaches based on MY swing. Not a generic swing that those tips try to help. Sometimes, he will advocate a drill that I have read, like the baseball drill from here several years ago.

My instructor also teaches based on MY swing, which is great, because I don't have to worry about how Tiger, Phil or Bubba swings and thinking I'm doing it all wrong. His teaching philosophy is "repeatable rather than perfect."

I, too, have noticed how different authors' instructional articles contradict eachother. No wonder why I was screwing myself up before I finally took up lessons!

Last edited:
I try to read tips & instructions carefully, and first figure out what it will do to MY swing / shot / routine / whatever before trying to implement it to my game. A lot of "more power & more this and that" tips can be destroying...I focus on the tips on game planning, strategy, reading greens / holes and that sort of stuff. Sometimes I try some special tips on different chip's, odd shots and so on.

Don't "over-tip" yourself. I've been there. It does more harm than good. The simpler the better, the less clutter the simpler.

I believe the most important thing in golf is to commit to one swing philosophy or method. Every instructor has a basic swing philosophy and it's important to find an instructor that teaches what you believe and want to learn.

I, personally, love to read about different swing methods and golf philosophies, but I only practice the things that match my chosen philosophy.

Some of the different methods/philosophies: 1) Big Muscles Control the Swing 2) Hands and Arms Control the Swing 3) Stack & Tilt 4) One Plane Swing 5) Two Plane Swing 6) Rotary Swing

Every Instructor has his/her own philosophy. We, students, need to ask our instructors what their swing philosophy is before dedicating time practicing a method we may not believe in.

I think the same stuff comes up in golf magazines, I swear they just cycle the same tips every two years...never hurts to try a new instructor..

Back