My Morgan Cup fitting at C.C.

Jmk202

Reaction score
Handicap
~10
Called my fitter at C.C. and asked if he could help me getting set up for my Cobra Bag. I told him it was going to be a limited fitting since is only one OEM and I already had a decent Idea of what I wanted to hit. He was able to squeeze me in for 90 minutes tomorrow afternoon at 4 central time. I'm very excited and my primary goals/test items are:
  1. SZ Driver vs. Extreme (loft & shaft) -- I tend to have high launch and spin (also tour length discussion)
  2. Forge Tec vs. SZ irons (lie & Shaft)
  3. OL vs. VL in irons (4-PW) -- I'm pretty sure I want to try OL so i'll talk to him about these and see if we can do the 5 iron and 9 iron test.
  4. VL wedges & VL 3H gapping -- to pair with my OL irons. Really hoping to get a good gapping at top and bottom of OL irons
Going into this i'm planning a bag of:
D
3W
3H
4-PW Iron
Wedge (~50,56,60)

If anyone has questions or items for consideration leave them here and I'll try to get to them before my fitting and report back! Full disclaimer i'm not @Canadan or @JB so don't expect anything as official or as thorough as their C.C. day, but i'm happy to share my experience and anything I learn. #GoTeamHackers

Awesome;

Really excited to see how things come together for you!!

I am curious to hear about your feelings on forgiveness differences between the Forged Tec and SpeedZone irons. I am also curious to see the ball speed differences between the two clubs.

This is very cool. Anxious to see results!

Just make sure you ask that all your trackman numbers get sent to your email. (They will likely do it anyways but just be sure)

Good luck with your fitting. For One Length, you might check out thread that @oumagic posted regarding how Jose Miraflor suggests to test whether One Length is right for you using 5,7 and 9 irons. (y)

Good luck with your fitting. For One Length, you might check out thread that @oumagic posted regarding how Jose Miraflor suggests to test whether One Length is right for you using 5,7 and 9 irons. (y)

yup, already read it and plan to try that if they have the 5 and 9 heads there for me to try. Appreciate the link in case i'd missed it!(y)

Called my fitter at C.C. and asked if he could help me getting set up for my Cobra Bag. I told him it was going to be a limited fitting since is only one OEM and I already had a decent Idea of what I wanted to hit. He was able to squeeze me in for 90 minutes tomorrow afternoon at 4 central time. I'm very excited and my primary goals/test items are:
  1. SZ Driver vs. Extreme (loft & shaft) -- I tend to have high launch and spin (also tour length discussion)
  3. OL vs. VL in irons (4-PW) -- I'm pretty sure I want to try OL so i'll talk to him about these and see if we can do the 5 iron and 9 iron test.
  4. VL wedges & VL 3H gapping -- to pair with my OL irons. Really hoping to get a good gapping at top and bottom of OL irons
D
3W
3H
4-PW Iron
Wedge (~50,56,60)

If anyone has questions or items for consideration leave them here and I'll try to get to them before my fitting and report back! Full disclaimer i'm not @Canadan or @JB so don't expect anything as official or as thorough as their C.C. day, but i'm happy to share my experience and anything I learn. #GoTeamHackers
Club Champion does not have OL irons to test. They do all their iron fittings based on a 6i.

Club Champion does not have OL irons to test. They do all their iron fittings based on a 6i.
yeah, I figured that might be the case (haven't been there in a few years). Worst case i'll talk to them about best way to estimate the gapping.

yeah, I figured that might be the case (haven't been there in a few years). Worst case i'll talk to them about best way to estimate the gapping.
It seemed from the conversation I had with my fitter at CC that they really don’t have any interest in OL at all. Maybe your experience will be different though.

D
3W
3H
4-PW Iron
Wedge (~50,56,60)

Looks good I'm looking forward to seeing what you decide on.

I know if I was doing my bag over I'd get 1 less wedge and a 5w or 4h. The woods are great and I wish i had the 5w for a different flight profile than irons.

But you know your game and what will work best for you.

Enjoy the fitting and deciding what to get!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It seemed from the conversation I had with my fitter at CC that they really don’t have any interest in OL at all. Maybe your experience will be different though.
Well i'll let you know. Regardless Really wanna get some shaft recommendations since my swing is a good bit different now.

I will be curious what they say about OL. During the live video with them last week, they said that they do have the ability to fit for OL, and discussed it in a knowledgeable manner. But, that was with the cream of the crop and your fitter might be very different. The fact that they fit based off 6 definitely raises questions about it.

I would just encourage you not let a fitter's opinion sway you away from OL, it's really up to you to decide if you think you will benefit from it like many have. It truly is more mental than physical.

One more note: I know that Cobra has 4 irons for the OL offerings, but something that low lofted may be tricky depending on your swing speed. You might consider doing something like 3h/4h/5i, 5w/4h/5i, whatever you like most.

Looking forward to hearing about your fitting. Good luck.

I will be curious what they say about OL. During the live video with them last week, they said that they do have the ability to fit for OL, and discussed it in a knowledgeable manner. But, that was with the cream of the crop and your fitter might be very different. The fact that they fit based off 6 definitely raises questions about it.

I would just encourage you not let a fitter's opinion sway you away from OL, it's really up to you to decide if you think you will benefit from it like many have. It truly is more mental than physical.

One more note: I know that Cobra has 4 irons for the OL offerings, but something that low lofted may be tricky depending on your swing speed. You might consider doing something like 3h/4h/5i, 5w/4h/5i, whatever you like most.
is the likely issue slow swing speed = Low ball flight? I've got pretty decent swing speed so I maybe able to avoid it, but good to know and be aware of.

I think you can pick the shaft easily with the 6i. The only thing that would be nice is if you could do the gapping at a fitter, but that seems the reason that they don’t want to fit OL. But I think Cobra has done a fantastic job with these sets and gapping, so don’t worry too much about that.Just get your carry and dispersion the best you can at fitting and then order what you want :)

Last edited:
Good luck! I can’t wait to hear how it goes.

is the likely issue slow swing speed = Low ball flight? I've got pretty decent swing speed so I maybe able to avoid it, but good to know and be aware of.
That's basically it. The science behind getting launch conditions right gets a little tougher with slow swings, towards the ends of the bag. Now, I have very little swing speed, I've had a PGASS employee swap me from stiff to regular during a demo without me asking (for example), and I get along fine with my 5 and 6 irons. So as a higher SS player, I'm guessing a 4i would be fine for you.

they have the ability to fit OL, just not any Cobra heads in one length. I believe it was the Edel OL they can fit for.

Good look, Jake! Look forward to hearing what you end up with!

@Jmk202 , Good luck with the fitting. I trust that you get everything sorted out as far as shafts and clubs.

This will be exciting to hear about! The only thing I would have you watch for from your OP is to make sure you are not duplicating the same distance with a hybrid and 4i. If you go SZ irons, the 4 iron will be very long.

Back