My poor clubs. :(

OUZO Power

@K_Kyriopoulos
Reaction score
So I went for a round today with my good friend. Who was also my best man at my wedding and my 1st borns Godparent. Yea he's a great guy.

He plays about 5-10 rounds a year and finally our schedule worked for us to go for 18 together.

He sends me a text the night before asking if he could play with my spare set.

I thought ok. It's my backup set. What could go wrong?

I'm not going to lie. I'm a little OCD about their appearance. Even my backup set was mint.

So I lent him my RAZR FIT driver and 3W. FT-iZ hybrids but not my X Forged cause I knew he would have a hard time hitting them. Also lent him my XG White Hot #9.

Well let's just say after the 7th hole I caught on. He was ridding in the other cart and usually trailing me since I knew the course and it was his first time there.

What did I see? All my woods and putter banging against each other with no headcovers on. Pete where are the covers? In my bag he says. why I asked? I don't know.

I was terrified to take a close look but I had to. All of them were ruined. All the crowns were beaten up and scratched. I was about to cry.

I held it in and asked him to use the covers. By the 15th hole I see the driver and 1 hybrid with no cover. Pete where are the covers? He lost them. :(

Then as we are on the cart path waiting on the other group ahead to tee off I see him using the driver as a walking cane with the sole of the club banging on the asphalt. :( Again I said nothing. It was over. My beloved clubs prior to my current gamers were no more just like that in one round. After so many rounds with the blink of an eye they were distroyed in my eyes.

At the end I told him to keep the driver and 3w. As an excuse I said you hit it well. I couldn't take it back.

I'm just venting. Not going to ruin a valuable friendship. He is a great guy and we all love him in out household.

But never again am I lending anyone clubs. Glad I didn't give him my back up irons to play.

Last edited:
Dude I'm not going to lie that SUCKS. I'm super OCD about my clubs. They're cleaned after every shot with a wet towel, and cleaned after every round/range session. Back up set or not I'm like that with every club I own. I'd die. I wouldn't lose a friend over it, but I'd lose sleep over it for sure. It freaks me out playing forged clubs knowing they're going to take a beating just from normal use and riding in a bag. Sorry about your lucky buddy I can definitely sympathize with you knowing how I am.

As much as I treasure my clubs, I hold my friendships at a higher value.
It sounds like you do also.

Sorry about your clubs, but I also feel it would have been good to instruct him to use the headcovers per your wishes.

I'm impressed you held it in. I would have been very vocal about it, but I suppose that's just who I am.

Glad it was your backup set -- Next time tell him to bring his own!!!

I sold my first ever SeeMore (PTM1 black) to a coworker last year after he borrowed it for a round and dropped EVERYTHING on the green. That day, there was some sort of force in the universe that kept him from putting the headcover back on the putter. I kept telling him to, and in fact, it had fallen off 2 or 3 times and my buddy and I, riding in the cart following, had to pick it up off the cart path and return it.

I ran into him the other day, after not playing with him at all this year, and he goes "I finally lost that headcover for good." I giggled...until I saw the putter. It's DESTROYED. And I cried a little.

He's a good friend, so it shouldn't hurt his feelings if you tell him how you feel. Not that you want them replaced, but you might be able to convince him that his new clubs will last longer if he takes care of them.

As much as I treasure my clubs, I hold my friendships at a higher value.
It sounds like you do also.

Sorry about your clubs, but I also feel it would have been good to instruct him to use the headcovers per your wishes.
Yea good friends are hard to find. Not worth loosing a friend of 20 years over.

Upset. Yes. I'll just call it a lesson learned.

I'm sitting here kind of laughing. I'm the opposite. I know the thought of head covers and scratches would've never crossed my mind. To me, a backup set is supposed to be used by people like that. Hell, my backup set is with my brother and they're forged mizunos. Clubs are supposed to get used. They get scratches and dings. Don't get me wrong I like to keep my gamers in good shape but I'll hit off cart paths and rocks if I have to. That's part of the game. Glad you didn't lose your $hit with your buddy. Good friends will always be more important than a set of sticks.

That's great that you can take care of both your friends and equipment. I struggle with both and I am a pretty thoughtful person. The good part is now you get to work on a new backup set...

Man that is terrible and, not gonna lie, I feel for ya. You'd think someone would take care of something they are borrowing from others, but I guess ish happens. It's good you held it in and treated it better than I would have, but the friendship is more valuable than a backup set of clubs. Now if it was my gamers....:alien:

Hope your buddy enjoys his new-to-him sticks.

Man that really sucks. I don't really care to much about minor nicks and scratches but I completely understand where you are coming from. I bought my 3 year old his own set of clubs because I got tired of him taking my clubs and "abusing" them.

I can probably relate more with tools. I have what one might call the cadillac of power tools - Festool. However, there is no way I will let anyone other than myself use them. If you need to borrow a circular saw, you will get my old, crappy Craftsman. I don't care how good of a friend you are.

Wow OUZO...that's tough. Even though it's been years since i've put sky mark on any club, I always hesitate to hit someone else's clubs when they offer it. And if I to, I end up teeing it very low, just to avoid that out of nowhere bad swing.

It's funny how people view things differently, you obviously are very careful and take great care of the clubs, to him they are just sticks that don't need any special care or handling.

I can understand being frustrated about it. Glad it didn't get in the way of a great friendship.

That stinks about the clubs. Very admirable with your resolve to hold it in and just drop subtle hints. I am quite OCD as well about my clubs and not sure if I could have held it in as well as you did. I also would not let this keep in the way of a long-term friendship and also would not have wanted to take the battered clubs home with me.

Brutal dude. The way you handled it at the end is great. I do agree with some that you maybe could have been a little more vocal about it during the round, especially since he's a great friend, but in the end the friendship is the important thing.

This is why I don't lend much out. Generally speaking people have zero respect for anything that isn't theirs.

This is my biggest fear with lending cubs.

You try a hard to keep them scuff free, to see someone undo that is crushing.

I know great players that don't care a bit, and bad players that keep pristine. Bottom line they are your clubs, so he should treat them as you would.

So sorry to read this. You are not alone.

I'm also OCD about my gamers. I have a couple of old sets (I have kept almost all my old sets.) that I let friends borrow. Those sets are still very nice because I KEPT them that way. I don't let anyone try my gamers. Cleaned after every shot with wet towel. Cleaned with warm soapy water with the Magic Eraser after every round.

I lent a friend a driver once because he was interested in buying it and wanted to try it out. We had agreed on a price already and I figured it was the courteous thing to do.

Half way through the round he slipped and dropped it on the cart path. Multiple scratches and a dent, I was stunned when magically he didn't want it anymore. I was pretty upset but figured it's not worth losing a friendship over so I didn't say anything.

I feel your pain.

I have an old set of Golfsmith irons and nike woods sitting in a Spaulding bag full of pinnacle balls just for the reason you went through.

I always cringe at lending just about anything to people as most are simply careless. I have avoided borrowing tools/equipment/etc. from others most of my life but if I do....I return it in the same shape it was in, if not better (cleaner). No way I would have kept my cool the way the OP did in that situation!

My thought is you break it, you buy it.

That sucks. I lent my backup set to my brother in law who doesn't golf. Came back with a snapped driver shaft, missing 9i and missing putter cover. Granted, these weren't great clubs by any stretch, but at least it was a set someone could use until he got done with them.

Really painful to hear this. I was cringing the entire time reading the post. My condolences for your club loss.

Guys,
these are Golf clubs. Both my woods and irons are cleaned throughout the round. Headcover's on the Woods always, but not the irons. On my Forged Mizuno's the little dents or nicks are like battle scars. I do have iron covers, but even Mizuno doesn't recommend their use. Glad you got over it, they're Golf clubs. I would be pissed about the woods.

Back