My stats from my 1st two rounds back....... There's plenty wrong.

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm going to keep some stats here based on my game which will allow me to track improvement through the year. These are my starting 2 rounds after 9 months off and an elbow surgery, so take it easy on me.

Scoring Average: 105
Putts per Hole : 1.8
Driving accuracy: 50%
Par 3 average: 4.3
Par 4 average: 6.2
Par 5 average: 6.6

Driving Accuracy: 50%
GIR: 3.6%
Recovery/Scrambling: 5.9%
Sand Save: 0%

Eagles - 0
Birdies - 0
Pars - 3
Bogeys -11
Doubles - 12
overs - 10

These pretty much show me that my entire game is a mess right now except for putting. I really lose a lot of shots 100 yards and in and my irons could be a lot better. These are the things that I will be working on first in order to see how my game comes back into shape.

Cool idea for a thread. Are you tracking these stats manually or using game golf or a phone app? Thanks for posting this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driving isn't that bad. I'd recommend tracking penalty shots and 3 putts. Three key stats that will lower scores quickly are eliminating penalty strokes, 3 putts and hitting more fairways. 60%+ fairways is pretty good for amateurs.

Cool idea for a thread. Are you tracking these stats manually or using game golf or a phone app? Thanks for posting this!

I'm using the Swing by Swing App for numbers.

Driving isn't that bad. I'd recommend tracking penalty shots and 3 putts. Three key stats that will lower scores quickly are eliminating penalty strokes, 3 putts and hitting more fairways. 60%+ fairways is pretty good for amateurs.
Easy enough to add... I had 1 penalty stroke in the first round, and 2 in the 2nd round. I didn't have a single 3 putt in either round. My wedge game under 100 yards actually was the killer in my last couple rounds. Sitting beside the green in 2 on many holes and ended up doing a combo thin/fat/skulled series of wedge shots and took a double bogey. Short wedges are the key right now. I can hit the bump and run pretty well when that's an option, but anytime I have to go over something, there's a 50% chance it isn't going to make it. I think I'm decelerating, but I'll only know for sure once I spend some time on the range.

I'm using the Swing by Swing App for numbers.

Easy enough to add... I had 1 penalty stroke in the first round, and 2 in the 2nd round. I didn't have a single 3 putt in either round.
Those aren't bad at all then. Just a matter of getting dialed in a bit with your irons and getting the short game back in a groove. You can be in the 90's quickly by just hitting 30% GIR and getting scrambling to close to 10%.

What exactly are looking to accomplish by tracking your stats? What steps will you take to fix your swing? What is your goal on each hole?

I know it's your first time out after a huge layoff but these are questions I hope your asking yourself. I'd like to see you play for bogie on each hole instead of the posted number. This may bring your scores down.

What exactly are looking to accomplish by tracking your stats? What steps will you take to fix your swing? What is your goal on each hole?

I know it's your first time out after a huge layoff but these are questions I hope your asking yourself. I'd like to see you play for bogie on each hole instead of the posted number. This may bring your scores down.

Once I get enough rounds logged, I will use them to identify where I'm losing the most strokes on the course. Right now, it's easily identified, it's wedges from 100 and in that cost me the most strokes.

The GIR stat is pretty glaring. Seems like some work on irons and wedges are in order. Hard to score when you scramble on every hole.

Ole Gray posted an interesting way to track stats awhile back. He would make a mark every time he hit what he considered a 'good shot'. I think if you would focus on little wins like that each time out, you'd see that total score go down.

Ole Gray posted an interesting way to track stats awhile back. He would make a mark every time he hit what he considered a 'good shot'. I think if you would focus on little wins like that each time out, you'd see that total score go down.

At night when you are having quite time only replay those "good" shots in your mind. If you only had two good shots then they're the ones you bring up in your post round thoughts . Never ever dwell on the bad ones.

Back