Need new prescription golf sunglasses

Maric

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My eye prescription has changed so I need new prescription golf sunglasses. My daily glasses have progressive lens, but I heard that for golf only sunglasses I should only get the distance prescription put in, not the reading prescription. Thoughts?
Also suggestions on brands. I currently have REKS, but open to other options.

I've had Oakley prescription sunglasses with Golf lenses for about 5 or 6 years now. Fortunately my prescription hasn't changed so they're still good to go. I would not want progressives in my golf glasses.

My daily glasses have progressive lens....
Do you play with those glasses on? I found it tough to play even with just bifocals. My recommendation would be, depending on how bad your close-up vision is, to just go with distance sunglasses. I have also found prescription sunglasses from any of the usual companies to be very expensive, especially if your vision tends to change frequently. Before my cataract surgery, I opted for inexpensive sunglasses from Zenni Optical.

My golfing prescription is an inexpensive $51 pair from Zennis. Single prescription with their house brand autodarkening.
I have also have single prescription reading and computer glasses. I've read that you don't want polarized lenses to more accurately read greens.

I'm not an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once. I think the distance-only lens makes sense for golf. As for brand, I'm an Oakley guy myself.

I’ve had very good luck with RayBan Wayfarer II frames with prescription lenses.

I’m like Mr. Magoo, so mine are progressives, and they’re great.

Good luck with your search

Gonna check in on this, last couple of eye tests have suggested prescription & the only reason I haven't gone with script sunglasses is the cost of Oakley script is insane & I'm not a fan of other sunglass makers.

My daily glasses are progressive and I cannot wear them to play golf. My sunglasses on the other hand our single vision but they hav a very curved frame and I cannot wear them either for playing golf. I am going to get new sunglasses (single vision) in the spring if everything works out.

So I have an old pair of glasses with transition lens from probably 5-7 years ago that I have to wear when I play. I really need the tint though as I have dry eye syndrome amongst some other issues and my eyes will sting so bad I have had to play with a towel over my head to cut down the exposure.

My recommendation, don’t go cheap when it comes to your eyes though as far as the lens and UV protection.

My eye prescription has changed so I need new prescription golf sunglasses. My daily glasses have progressive lens, but I heard that for golf only sunglasses I should only get the distance prescription put in, not the reading prescription. Thoughts?
Also suggestions on brands. I currently have REKS, but open to other options.

When I first had to go to progressive lenses, I noticed that it had an effect on my golf game. When setting up to hit a shot, I would look at the ball through the bottom part of the lens, which was the "reading" part. Things just didn't look right. I had an old set of frames that I loved. I took them in to the optometrist, along with my scrip, and asked if they could make a set of distance only lenses for them. No problem! That's what I wore for golf from then on until I got my cataracts done!

My glasses have bifocals and I cannot play with them on. Have been meaning to get single vision glasses for the last few years but haven't gotten around to it. Wear contacts, which I absolutely hate doing, only when I play golf. They immediately come out when I get home from the course.

@Maric if you do decide to go with Oakleys, keep an eye on their website. A couple of times a year they'll do 50-70% off sales. It radically offsets the cost when you order the with prescription lenses.

Definitely go distance only if you can. I have reading glasses and the maximum distance they’re usable at makes them useless for anything other than reading. I have a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket sunglasses with Prizm Golf lenses in my prescription. They are polarized and yes, they interfere a little with green reading. I’m not a good green reader to begin with so not much loss there. I look over the top on occasion when it’s a read that doesn’t match what I thought walking up to the green. It loses the subtle slopes for me. I use my prescription sunglasses for driving and the polarized lenses really pay off when the roads are wet.

I have progressive Oakleys. I told my eye guy they were for golf, so he put the reading part lower on the lens than my regular glasses. Its lower and isn't in my FOV when aligning for the shot.
He actually got me to stand like I was set up for golf, so he could put the progressive part low enough

I refuse to play in prescription glasses or sunglasses so not much help. Reks is probably your least expensive option, I'm more of an Oakley guy though.

I got Oakley prescription sunglasses last summer in Prizm Dark Golf. I went with distance only. It has been a game changer. I wear them the entire round. I went with the distance only correction. I keep my transition bifocals in the cart for when I need to read my phone.

I had progressive lenses in my glasses for several seasons. When I said that they interfered with my game, my optometrist said that he would place the bifocal area lower
in the lens for me. I had to tilt my head slightly upwards when reading reading to make sure I was looking through the bifocal area but that was quickly learned and never
became a problem at all. By putting the bifocal lower I was looking over top of the bifocal area when hitting a golf shot. It worked but I still liked wearing contacts better.
When I got older and developed cataracts the Dr. gave me the option of being able to see far away without glasses or seeing close up and reading without glasses. I chose
being able to see far away without glasses and it's been great being able to play golf and driving my car without glasses but it sucks to need glasses any time I do something
close up and needing glasses to see what I'm doing.

Oakley Golf Prizm lens with just the single prescription not my bi focal lens. Works great for me.

I'm near sighed, so that means I can read without correction. So I've been playing golf with distance-only prescription sunglasses for many years. I'm fairly sensitive to light, so I prefer wrap around sunglasses that provide lots of coverage. I also have a very large head (I wear a size 7 7/8 hat), which limits my choices.

I got my sunglasses from SportRx. My first pair was the Tifosi Elder with the Day & Night Contrast lenses. My current pair is the Nike Show X3, with the Start-To-Finish lenses

You should go distance only for golf. Also, if you need a strong prescription(like I do) you will have to buy frames with limited curvature, otherwise the distortion on the outer edges become quite noticeable and can create a headache.
Personally, I wear glasses and sunglasses all day and would never go cheap on them.
My top choice for sunglasses are Maui Jim's for their lens quality. They have many different style frames as well, although not as sporty as Oakleys.
I have Oakley golf specific sunglasses with their lens, but much prefer the Maui Jims.

i have transition lenses in both my regular and sunglasses. i would be without them

Definitely go distance only if you can. I have reading glasses and the maximum distance they’re usable at makes them useless for anything other than reading. I have a pair of Oakley Flak Jacket sunglasses with Prizm Golf lenses in my prescription. They are polarized and yes, they interfere a little with green reading. I’m not a good green reader to begin with so not much loss there. I look over the top on occasion when it’s a read that doesn’t match what I thought walking up to the green. It loses the subtle slopes for me. I use my prescription sunglasses for driving and the polarized lenses really pay off when the roads are wet.

Absolutely. I picked dstance only lenses for my cataract surgery. First of all, the medical insurance covers a greater part of those rather then the more exotic kind. The doctor asked if I wanted her to mix it up, so I could both read and have distance vision at the same time. I stuck with distance. I hunt, fish, and play golf. Distance vision is kind of important in those pursuits.

Same went when I wore glasses. The progressives just didn't cut it for me.

I like the Oakley Flak XL 2.0, but I'd rather have something that was a little bigger vertically. They look small on my big face.

I’ve had both Oakley and Zenni distance-only prescription sunglasses. I’d never get bifocals or progressives for golf. It would totally mess with my depth perception. I’ve forgotten to remove my daily specs (progressives) at the range and struggled like heck to find the ball with my clubhead with any consistency, until I discovered what was happening and removed my specs!

If I could get any prescription shades, cost not an issue, they would be Maui Jims. The best bar none but their prescription shades are $$$$.

Back