need to quieten my lower half

the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Last year I spent so much time trying to start the downswing with my hips I have over done it, my big miss is either a block right or hook left. The guy i have lessons with has me hitting balls feet together. I have been working on this for 3 months but still seem to fire my hips way to fast/early causing me to drop my arms and block/hook. When im on course i usually last 12 holes before it creeps in and destroys my round or makes me get frustrated.

Do you have any tips/drills to help with this?
cheers Darren

The lower body supplies a lot of power.. Never quiet it..make it louder. Make is so loud that you wake the neighbors.

Last edited:
Problem is I fire it early and fast my arms drop and I block or pull trying to rescue it.

Make sure Freddie sees this. He would be one of the best resources on the forum.

Sequence is a pain. For the hips firing too early I just do my start the arms first drill. When I watch the drill back on video I'm usually back in sequence, in my head I'm swinging all arms first =) The drill is basically to swing with my upper chest through the ball and have the hips follow forward through the swing. I do this for a session then just stop drilling and hit my normal swing. Usually gets my back in sync.

When I'm too upper body I fire my hips and have my arms chase it...

Typical miss with fast hips is a thin low shot. That is is you hips are coming off the line. The misses you described tell me that you first move is a slide with the hips not a turn. The fact that you are missing both ways means your flipping the club on hooks and way out in front on fades.

Keep you back to the target and swing to the right of second base and tell me if that doesn't fix your issues. By keeping back to the target longer and allowing the arms to drop before your turn to face the target will quiet the hips.

I do hit a few fat and thin shots which my pro says are my hips, if my hips are to fast I tend to end up in a reverse c position at the end of my swing when I keep them quiet I finish weight in my left side. I will try what you said and report back.

Try something for me. Swing and down release the hips at all. Swing all upper body and tell me what happens to the ball, club and your body.

Ok I will but that will be hard as I struggle to control my disco hips lol.

I tried to do this but really struggled not releasing my hips, today's range session was one of my best I only miss hit half a dozen balls out of 100 my ball striking was really good I wasn't finishing in a reverse c position I was concentrating on letting the hips clear naturally on the ones where I raced my bottom half I blocked 4 and topped 2.

Id love to see you swing on video

I try to let the weight of the club pull my body around. Take the club to the top and let go with your right hand, swing the club around your body with your left arm and let the momentum of the club pull your upper and then lower body around to get the feel of swinging from the inside. This works wonders for me when I get out of sync.

I also reduce my lower body by standing knock kneed at address - advise from a teaching pro.

Back