Never Too Early - 2021 Setup Changes?

I'll likely have the X Forged CB well used by new year, say maybe some ZX7 or Cobra MIMs will be in a bag fighting with them or the TM combo for regular use if I can handle the size. A TSi is also likely if I can dial it in enough to keep up with Sub Zero. I'd really like to find an updated putter I'm comfortable with, but that'll be hard to sort out in the cold.

Edit less than 4 hrs later: TSi3 driver and TSi2 3W are incoming now

Last edited:
There are some changes to my irons brewing. I have not committed to anything yet but I have some ideas.. Right now the strong front runner are the Zx7... But there are a few very close on their heels including the X forged, and potentially Mizuno 921 tours.

Only thing I am looking to change is the irons and the ball.
While I really like my Epic Forged irons, I want to test Srixon irons again.
After this weekend playing with a different ball and seeing some distance gains I am intrigued to find the best ball for my game.

My bag is already going through a major overhaul as we speak for the upcoming 2021 season.
What's out- ping driver, ping 3 wood, titleist hybrids
What's in- callaway b21 driver, 3 wood, hybrids

What could be in-
callaway 5 wood instaed of the 3 hybrid
irons- I may possibly change out srixon z565 and look at the srixon zx5 but I dont know how forgiving they'll be... but will most likely happen is I'll go for the callaway b21 6-pw.

Come this spring my bag will potentially look like B21 from driver - pitching wedge. :callaway:

Only thing I am looking to change is the irons and the ball.
While I really like my Epic Forged irons, I want to test Srixon irons again.
After this weekend playing with a different ball and seeing some distance gains I am intrigued to find the best ball for my game.

Good idea on ball fitting. I need to put some effort into that. (y)

I’ll be investigating a new driver as the one I’m playing with is several years old. I don’t really expect to find something that will give me a lot more distance but, I won’t know if I don’t try.

i hesitate to say this because history would suggest otherwise, but honestly nothing.

the mavrik max driver with my thce16 shaft has absolutely come alive in its current setting. time after time my good swings are giving me totally optimized numbers verified by launch monitors; i'm not leaving anything on the table.

i have made a change in the fairway/hybrid setup that will take effect today. in a recent fitting, i got better numbers out of a mav standard 4w, mav standard 3h, and mav pro 4h, so that's all going in the bag. assuming the results mirror what we saw during the testing, that setup should be perfect. 4w for shorter par 4s, 3h for par 5 in two, 4h as an iron replacement.

the mav pro irons continue to be rock stars for me. my ego wants something smaller and more tour-y in the bag (like apex pro), but nothing is beating these mav pros. so they're staying.

i adore my wedges. i'll probably change them at the end of the year just for fresh grooves, but put the exact same setup in the bag but in raw finish because i guess what i was fit for at ecpc never made it to retail (56x and 60x).

and my putter is like cheating for me. perfect roll. a breeze to align. and supreme confidence.

if i can keep the bag as it is, i'll have the budget to keep taking lessons, which is going to be so much better for me than an equipment change.

One this is almost 100% certain. If I change, I will be putting graphite shafts in my irons and possible wedges..

Putter. I don't know if I'll do a fitting (please, Santa?) or just tinker until something suits my fancy.

I'll also look at some of the new(er) shafts and a couple of old stand-bys to see if I can take driver and 3W performance up a notch or two.

Hoping that most will make a shift

Driver- currently a used Callaway XR. This one is up in the air. Not a bad club but I bought it used for $40 because it has a dent in it when I broke my old driver.

3W- this one has a high chance of not changing. Currently is a Taylormade Rocketballz 3W. Like it a lot but also really like the Sim 3W.

Hybrids/Irons- these ones are the first to get swapped. These are currently a Top Flight starter set I’ve had for over 5 years. I’m thinking Sub70 699 pros are going to take over (and the 939x hybrids).

Wedges- bought Top Flight wedges when I got the starter set. Definitely want to swap these out too. Thinking either the CBX2 wedges or the Sub70 wedges.

Putter- this one will be the only for sure constant. Bought the new Odyssey Triple Track #10 last year and love it. Won’t be changing this out. Possibly swapping grips but same putter.

nothing here, either...i mean, i have the sub70s coming in tuesday but outside of that, nothing is standing out to me just yet...maybe black friday will change that.

Two things on the horizon:

1. New irons. Open for anything but new JPX line, Taylormade 770/90, Cobra Forged Tec, and T200 are the ones I've looked at the most. Fitting to determine I go.
2. New fairway. Here strongest contenders are SIM Ti 5w turned down to 17.5 or new Titleist series 4 wood.

General question that I've thought about as the season is winding down here in the NE. Do you get fit now when the swing is in ok shape or wait until spring? With the longer lead-times doing it now would ensure that you have the sticks at hand when the new season picks-up and some practice time during winter. On the other hand you may end up missing some new releases.

Staying with the current bag, with upgraded shafts.

nothing here, either...i mean, i have the sub70s coming in tuesday but outside of that, nothing is standing out to me just yet...maybe black friday will change that.

Which Sub70 are you going with? Definitely want to hear your thoughts once you are swinging them.

The only plans I have currently is to try out a different hybrid and/or utility iron for the 4 and 5 iron spots. Hogans, of course.

The putter will probably be the putter of the week as it has seemingly always been. Hope one breaks through by the end of the year though.

Will probably start next season with a new putter in the bag, even though I have averaged 1.4 putts per hole in 78 rounds this summer, I just have never gained confidence in my Double Wide. Need to go back to a mallet of some type.🤔

I have a fitting scheduled in a week and a half for the new Titleist drivers. I have a Mavrik but if the Titleist is better I will definitely make the shift. The only two spots I really have a need are below my 5 wood and above my 5i. I have a U500 4 that is okay but I hit my 5 wood (SIM Max) really well and am thinking about a 7 wood. The other spot would be my 58* wedge. I have a PM 58* and I like it a lot around the green and out of traps but I don't like it from 40-80 yards which I like to use if as well.

Irons: Ping G710s with Recoil F3 shafts (7-UW) will replace the Titleist AP1s/Ping i5s which I alternated during 2020. I was fitted for these irons in September, but by the time I actually get them, the season in RI will be effectively over.

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 eye-2 grind 56* (same fitting as my irons). I have already added a Cleveland CBX2 60* with a Recoil F3 shaft.

Since I live is the southwest, I have more of a feeling that fall golf is the start of the new year. My bag will get a major overhaul for the upcoming season.

My GI Ping G410s will get a timeout while I dive into the forged club pool. Updates to wedges and what may be the hardest to replace...my SL EXO #7 well see some time on the shelf.

Going in the bag starting November:
BH PTXPro: 4i-PW
BH Equalizer Wedges: 50, 54, 58
New putter.

I've already upgraded nearly everything I had on the list. Only thing remaining is upgrade my 7w and possibly acquire a 50° wedge. Might experiment with driver shafts if I can acquire experimental shafts economically enough.

Beyond that: I doubt I'll be spending more money on hardware until my swing settles down.

As someone who is prone to come OTT, I’m seriously pondering the B21 driver and/or 4 hybrid.

The only change I immediately see is driver shaft: I’m going to do an actual driver fitting soon, and go with whatever shaft is recommended.

2021 -

(1) Driver - Ping G425. Will get fit and see

(2) Fairway - Just converted to TEE EXS 220 16.5GD AD F 55 Shaft, 5 wood is the ponder - either Maxrik or TEE. My instructor says he likes the numbers on the TEE 16.5 even compared to a TM Ti M5.

(1) Hybrid - probably TEE EXS 220 19 and the 5 wood will rotate, and the PXG 22 may stay, or EXS 220 4H

(6) Irons 5-PW MP-20 HMB are coming in a couple of weeks

(3) Wedges - like the MP-T20 may look at ES21 60 degrees

(1) Putter - I appear to aim them all well. Depends on which putter flows through the stroke better and distance control - Edel E-1, SeeMore mFGP2, Bett BB-39 or Bett Inovai 6.0 S (coming soon)

Now I've got to find some playing partners for 2021.

Last edited:
Back