New Clubs for 2020 - going more or less forgiving?

If I do find a set, I expect they’ll be about the same as now... forgiving.

I’m finally over ego! From now on I will always opt for more forgiving/consistent over player look/ego! Good thing that Apex Pro check both boxes!

@j_sizzle9 ....I like to hear this about the Apex Pros as I just bought a set with my preferred Recoil shafts without hitting them and have about 3 months ?before we’ll see any grass. First time I have played Callaway irons but figure moving from Cobra FTB and Srixon Z545/7/9 combo, the adjustment should be easy. The Apex Pros’ reviews were so good from THP’ers and the deal I got was too good to pass up.

It is all about where you are in your game, I am getting older so it is starting to make sense from a strategy standpoint. Also may drop to an R flex which the next driver. I am in great shape but I am real about what my knees feel like after walking 18. Golf is an constant evaluation of your ability versus what tech can offer.
Even down to shoes and socks.

I am not sure what I am going to do yet. I am still gaming my 2018 MC Cobra FTB and have no complaints on them. I decided though to do the Club Champion half priced fitting later this month just out of curiosity. I figured it would be a fun experience and I may learn somethings. Those things I learn could possibly lead to a change but even so I am hanging on to the FTB forever. Let’s see what happens on the 22nd.

I'm currently playing cobra FTB's and have no plans to switch but I would let a fitting determine what I play

Unless you can practice and play as frequently as a tour pro or collegiate golfer, it doesn't make sense to choose less forgiving. Even some pga tour golfers are selecting more forgiving long irons. At a minimum, combo sets and more often forgiving irons need to be in the bag.

You can play any club you want, but I suggest everyone play the most forgiving clubs they can look at.

@j_sizzle9 ....I like to hear this about the Apex Pros as I just bought a set with my preferred Recoil shafts without hitting them and have about 3 months ?before we’ll see any grass. First time I have played Callaway irons but figure moving from Cobra FTB and Srixon Z545/7/9 combo, the adjustment should be easy. The Apex Pros’ reviews were so good from THP’ers and the deal I got was too good to pass up.

I owned a set as well and they were fantastic. I sold them for some temporary financial reasons, but they were quite good. The long irons have a unique feel and launch quite easily.

I bought new Ping I210’s last season and I’m pondering a change to something more forgiving. The 5&6 iron are where I’m a lot less confident...maybe I just need to hit the range more.

I recently moved from a set of Titleist AP1 716's (I had before I stopped playing few years ago) to the Mizuno Hot Metal Pro offering. The HM Pro has less offset, so makes me feel as though they're for a "better" player bu they're still pretty forgiving. I really don't see myself going to a full SGI set so pretty happy to stay where I am.

I’m thinking of changing out the P790 gen1 with PXG. What line of PXG 0311 gen 2 are most similar in profile to the p790?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gen2 XF would be closest. The T is a blade, P model is a bit bigger than the blade and the XF is not much bigger than the P with more offset. I was playing the Gen1, bought a set of the Gen2 0311P and just bought another set of the 0311 XF with steelfiber shafts for $149 a club which is insane. Heroes program is a great program.

I think I've found my sweet spot of longer blade length, generous sole, and traditional lofts.

Between the jpx919 tour and srixon z785, the only other irons that have my eye are ping i210, cobra forged tour, and titleist t100.

The ping and cobra both have decent chances of getting picked up this year.

So I have combined set of cb/mb right now. The only thing that may make me move is the new cobra tour irons but I might just keep the combo set going this summer.

So how is this for a forgiving, eclectic bag and possibly ugly bag in 2020?
Hoping the scorecards are beautiful more often than not!

Driver-Launcher Turbo 10*5
Mini driver-Taylormade OO 11.5* playing at 13.5*
Fairway-F8 5 wood with a 7 wood shaft playing at 17.5*
Hybrid-F8 One length 22*
4-PW HB launchers
Wedges-50* RTX 2.0 CB
-56* Nike VR Toe sweep
-55* Mazel Chipper (Square Stike copy) Black
Putter-Tommy Armour Impact #3
This is how I'll start the year. The only possible future changes are a CBX2 wedge in 50* to replace the RTX, dropping the 56* Nike to add a 60* if I find the Mazel can do the same job, and possibly experimenting with an arm-lock putter.
I HAVE ISSUES!

I really don’t plan on buying anymore clubs this year. I currently have the apex 19 combos and have another set of P760’s coming. As forgiveness is concerns I would think these 2 sets should be pretty comparable. Plus I already bought a speedzone driver to test against my ping g410 lst. I’m tapped out on spending but if I was I would be looking to stay in the similar category with each

I think I’m done making my bag as most forgiving as possible. I’ve decided that easy out weight the feel.
I will be gaming G410 Iron 6-P. Mavrik 4H & 5H. CBX 50*(might need bend to 49*). Ping Eye2 SW and LW. All go with Mavrik Driver, 3 Max and 5 Wood.
I think this might be the most forgiving set of bag I’ve had.
All I want to hit high and straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As states in my other thread I picked up a set of Nike blades that I have no business hitting for a great price. I’m going to play them Friday and see what happens. The goal here is to work on consistent ball striking. If I can hit them on the course as well as I was hitting them in the bay, I should be fairly happy.

Funny to look back on this thread and see that I was planning to buy more forgiving clubs.
Ended up going a little the other way. Bought Mizzy 919 tours. So far, just after range sessions, I think they are gonna be pretty good for me. Will see...

I think I'm sticking with what I've got but I am building a set of irons with graphite shafts to experiment with!

I think I'm sticking with what I've got but I am building a set of irons with graphite shafts to experiment with!
Something I’ve never done and need to remedy that one of these days.

Something I’ve never done and need to remedy that one of these days.
It is a first for me as well. I'm not getting any younger so I want to see what these graphite shafts are all about.

I'm going more forgiving. I want more forgiveness on mishits.

I made the switch to the most forgiving graphite shafted irons I can find - for my joints. From my fitting, I hit the Mavrik Max with stock graphite shafts longer and more consistently than anything else, including my last two gamers that both worked well for me. Anxious to get put with them once they arrive, because I’ve never had a trial/fitting where one model was that much better for me than everything else.

By category, I went less forgiving - moved from SGI clubs (Ping K15) to GI clubs (Callaway Mavrik) - but in reality, the Mavriks have a lot of newer and better technology which make them more forgiving.

I agree with @MattyD-MPLS' philosophy - play the most forgiving clubs you can stand.

Well I don't know how the new drivers will play, but every year seems to get more forgiving as a whole. For irons I just switched to a new Apex combo, but I'm creeping towards less forgiving. Might end up gaming just the pros. Prefer the look and feel by a wide margin and they're still pretty forgiving imo.

I should amend this.

I'm going to play the Forged TEC with Glide 3.0 wedges for a bit and have some fun. The apex pros and rtx4's can rest up.

I think every set of irons I've bought new were more forgiving. Technology has improved so much that you don't have to give up performance any more for forgiveness.
I remember years ago when I bought my Ping Eye2's, they were referred to as "shovels." I thought they were great looking. Nowadays, clubs built for mid to high handicappers look just as good as "players" clubs.

Back