New Cobra KING Forged TEC Irons

So I have had this in the bag for a few months and I think I really like it. The Cu King Tec 4i was pretty easy to hit with the 120g Modus steel shaft I had in there before but once I switched to this Graphite Design it became so good. In the switch to the King CB's I got the 4i but was not getting the distance I wanted out of it. This little beauty has given me that distance back. A wild science experiment that worked out for me.
View attachment 9231469
That looks really good.
What’s been the biggest change with the GD compared to the Modus?

That looks really good.
What’s been the biggest change with the GD compared to the Modus?
It is lighter than not only the 120s I had but also the 105s I have in my CBs. It took some time to get used to that. Also this was pulled from a 2u so it is a tad longer than it should be. Once I started to get a fluid swing it performed great. Tall 4i shots are fun but I can also punch it when I need to

It is lighter than not only the 120s I had but also the 105s I have in my CBs. It took some time to get used to that. Also this was pulled from a 2u so it is a tad longer than it should be. Once I started to get a fluid swing it performed great. Tall 4i shots are fun but I can also punch it when I need to
Any issue punching with the longer length or simply choke down?

Also, these do some work for me over the weekend. They may have known the competition was due back any day now. Note I’m not a 5 handicap.
014F7F73-D672-4B8F-A27E-51A12B3B02F8.jpeg

Any issue punching with the longer length or simply choke down?
No issues punching. I don't utilize choking down on a club near as much as I should

Got these back out for a muddy March round. 4 years on, and these are still such a fun set to put back in the bag. Long, forgiving, and consistent.

Got these back out for a muddy March round. 4 years on, and these are still such a fun set to put back in the bag. Long, forgiving, and consistent.

muddy round and now call? ouch! this is our year!

muddy round and now call? ouch! this is our year!
Sorry man, last minute schedule down this way. We do need to get together though this year!

Very possibly my favorite irons that I’ve owned

I keep wondering if there will be a new version soon..

I keep wondering if there will be a new version soon..
One would think so. Normally they would be coming soon. Only time will tell however. I won’t be selling mine any time soon

One would think so. Normally they would be coming soon. Only time will tell however. I won’t be selling mine any time soon
Mine were from the Morgan Cup. Too many good memories both there and elsewhere to where they will ever move on. Plus, they still perform like champs! I think they will have to come out on my Thursday round.

So did a deep dive here with some strokes gained analysis comparing these to the other iron sets I have gamed.

First half of 2022 with a different set: -1.67 SG
Second half of 2022 with Forged Tec: -0.18 SG

A good chunk of 2023 with others: -3.24 SG
Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 with FT: -1.20 SG

Just confirms how good of a set these irons are. (Note it was the same shafts in all sets, for those into that kinda thing).

So did a deep dive here with some strokes gained analysis comparing these to the other iron sets I have gamed.

Just confirms how good of a set these irons are. (Note it was the same shafts in all sets, for those into that kinda thing).
Was going to ask if shafts were the same. Apples to Apples here.

Nice improvement.

Was going to ask if shafts were the same. Apples to Apples here.

Nice improvement.
It was pretty striking when I broke it down

They are so good.

That’s some good stuff. Curious to see where you are seeing the most improvements within the iron set vs some precious one.

That’s some good stuff. Curious to see where you are seeing the most improvements within the iron set vs some precious one.
How so? Any suggestions on another angle you’d like to see the data on? Happy to dog it up.

How so? Any suggestions on another angle you’d like to see the data on? Happy to dog it up.

What I meant was I’d be curious to see where these irons are giving you such improvement…ie long irons, short irons.

What I meant was I’d be curious to see where these irons are giving you such improvement…ie long irons, short irons.
I will take a look. I think I can check out proximity with the clubs.

So I took a look at the deeper data and it appears the mid irons were where I saw the biggest gains. That 7-8-9 iron range. (Note I only game up to a 5 iron and even last year dropped the 5 iron and at times the 6 iron). The proximity was better by a little bit but the GIR was more markedly better. Maybe I am misreading the data, but I took that to mean there is just more forgiveness packed in there. My misses are protected better.

Interestingly the PW and GW were probably not as good as the other sets. I'll be interested to see what Cobra does with the next iteration if we see one. If there is a bit of tech story talking changes to how the wedges perform it will be hard to not give them a run.

Maybe my technique has changed, but the GW wasn’t a trampoline today while chipping. That had been my biggest ding on these irons

These simply still straight perform. Plus I missed up pretty low that still held the green. Cobra does great with low strikes.

Back