New from north east tennessee

justuravggolfer

Reaction score
Hey what’s up guys! My names Maxwell I’m from north East Tennessee coming back to golf after a 8 year hiatus. Now I have a question? If I get fit is it universal or for company specifics only? When I stopped playing I went to my local shop and picked up a used set of ping I 20s that were fit for someone else but coincedently the fit was also for me to however I don’t know how because the previous owner was like 6’1 I’m only 5’7. But that’s besides the point. I want to treat myself to custom fit clubs to me and was just wondering if the fitting process is universal?

Welcome to thp!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!!

Usually the fit is for a specific shaft/head combo.

Welcome to THP Maxwell! The fit will be OEM specific. An example is being fit in to the lowest spin option for Callaway doesn't mean the lowest spin option for Cobra would work for you. Each company produces specific equipment. And while almost every company has equipment that will fit everyone, that "like" equipment at another company isn't the same.

Good luck on your fitting!

Greetings! I have family in NE Tennessee. Beautiful part of the country.

If I understand your question, generally speaking the fitting is universal, i.e., the same fitting principles apply regardless of brand. Fitters may use different technologies, for example, one fitter may use the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer and another may not, but mostly they all use the same process, for example, TrackMan (or some kind of launch monitor), multiple brands and shafts, ascertaining flex, loft, and lie angle, etc.

When I first started playing I bought a used, off the rack set. A year later I decided to go for a fitting. Turns out I needed irons/wedges that were plus 2-inches, and 2º upright. Some will disagree, but in my case I find getting fit for golf clubs to be very important.

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

Thanks for joining up

Welcome to THP!

:welcome:

Welcome to THP! I'm across the line in VA over in Abingdon.

Welcome to THP!

A fit isn't universal across OEMs because club specs aren't universal. For example, if you're fit into a set of Callaway clubs at 1° upright lie, that won't necessarily translate to Cobra or Srixon, as they may use different stock lie angles. Lofts may vary by a few degrees across club lines, so a 9i from Mizuno 923 HM might not be the same loft as a 9i from Titleist T100. Take a look at the three charts below showing specs for Cobra Aerojet, Srixon ZX Mk II and Callaway Paradym irons (in that order below) - choose one club and look at the differences in loft, lie angle, swing weight, playing length, etc.

All the OEMS have reasons for making the choices they do, and none of them are "wrong" - but the message is that getting fit for one doesn't necessarily translate across brands due to the variations in specs.

Cobra.png

Srixon.png

Callaway.png

Welcome to THP!!!

Welcome!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome! I hope you enjoy the forum.

Back