New Ping & Sun Mountain Cart Bags?

Rebel4life

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mid
I'm itching to replace my cart bag because ... well, just because. I love my Ping Pioneer but Ping's website only lists 1 color option available. I've considered a Sun Moutain C-130, but they seem to be out of many of their colors. I've wondered if this was due to Covid caused shortages, or are either/both about to launch new versions. Any thoughts?

You should check out OGIO bags.

You're correct. I've never had an Ogio. Maybe it's time to give them a shot.
had my RTC bag for just over a year and no issues with it at all. Plenty of storage, 14 way top. Right at 6.5lbs but if you are on a cart most of the time then not an issue.
As far as Sun Mountain, they make great bags, but a lot of suppliers are out/short because of so many taking up golf.

@Snickerdog is correct in part. There is more global demand, but the global supply chain in general is completely messed up, more messed up than I can recall. There are a lot of moving parts, figuratively and literally, but here's an admittedly oversimplified version.

When Covid hit with a vengeance in the first quarter of last year, all of the manufacturing economies shut down to varying degrees by flipping a switch, This had never been done before. No one was certain how long the downturn would last, or even how the economy would return to life when the switch was flipped back. Add to that the many companies concerned with the ability to conserve enough cash to get them through a downturn of uncertain length, and one of the easiest ways to conserve cash is to draw down inventories. So they did. When the economy began to return to life in June, some parts sputtered back, some parts roared back, but almost every part faced long supply chains, thousands of miles and months long, with little to nothing in them. We are still seeing the effects of this drawdown now. Add to that things like thousands of shipping containers falling off a cargo ship, people aren't driving or flying so refineries don't run as much and aren't generating the building blocks for a host of materials we rely upon, a huge chemical plant springing a leak and shutting down, and there is no buffer in the system to absorb all of these shocks.

Remember the toilet paper shortage? Sure, some of it was a panic buying/hoarding, but it's even simpler than that. There were basically two primarily markets for TP - businesses and households. People are still gonna go, but when businesses are shut down and people have to work from home, they're going to go a lot more at home than they used to. And the channel set up to service that businesses market, from branding to distribution, couldn't make the switch fast enough to shift the supply to where it was needed.

I think one of the most underappreciated statements ever made by a management guru is that every system is perfectly configured to do exactly what it is doing. The global economy was perfectly configured to manage business and ongoing change prior to the pandemic. But Covid threw so many major changes into the system that it broke, and it will take a while to rebuild it perfectly to adapt to the realities of a post-Covid economy. I read recently that global economic activity won't return to 2019 levels until sometime next year.

I rambled here, but I am actually amazed that things in the economy are working as well as they are in the major sense. I can't wait for the day that we once again have a smoothly functioning economy in all levels and sectors.

PGA Superstore and Golf Galaxy have some C-130 bags in stock for shipping.

I have the C-130s and I’m very happy with it so far. Got it in December.

Unfortunately all the Convoy SE bags are out of stock, only the Woode is available. My guess is there is an update coming of the Convoy as I was seriously looking at them as a close friend really likes his. Haven’t seen a new Woode in person and would have to see before I commit. Unfortunately we’re in lockdown and guess is probably at least for next 5 weeks so, no stores open for viewing 😢.

Demand is not really the case in this scenario. Ping has full supplies of much of their current lineup and lost a lot of previous (try to custom order a 410 right now from anybody).

The golf bag specifically (for this brand) was lost at sea. Thousands of them actually all for their 2021 year.

I have the C130 bag that I use with my Clicgear +3.5 pushcart and it’s an awesome combo. No complaints about either piece of gear. I played 112 rounds last year and both held up fine. You usually get what you pay for if most cases.

Demand is not really the case in this scenario. Ping has full supplies of much of their current lineup and lost a lot of previous (try to custom order a 410 right now from anybody).

The golf bag specifically (for this brand) was lost at sea. Thousands of them actually all for their 2021 year.
I am assuming this was part of the boxes that “slid” into the ocean. I remember you saying it had implications for the golf industry. That is harsh for Ping.

Was this all those containers on that ship a month ago? there was an article posted here on thp.

I’d echo this. My RTC has been fantastic for me. Love the storage and versatility. It’s not a carry bag by any means but it fits the bill for everything else.

Sun Mountain’s C130s is also one of my favorite bags ever.

They have some very nice backpacks too according to the website.
They do, we received one at the Grandaddy and it is well built and lots of room.

They do, we received one at the Grandaddy and it is well built and lots of room.

I won an Ogio backpack at our department outing two years ago and it is incredibly well built and designed.

Replaced a C130 with the SYNC, it's designed specifically for a push cart. Smaller than the C130, but still has plenty of pockets. Bud get Golf seems to have stock on Sun Mountain Bags.

I thought I had seen 5 new Pioneer bags for 2021 at TGW. Really liked the black with grey heather. However, they are backordered until May or something like that.

I'm itching to replace my cart bag because ... well, just because. I love my Ping Pioneer but Ping's website only lists 1 color option available. I've considered a Sun Moutain C-130, but they seem to be out of many of their colors. I've wondered if this was due to Covid caused shortages, or are either/both about to launch new versions. Any thoughts?

Have you looked at other sellers for the Ping Pioneer? I found that some sellers listed colors not on the Ping website and vice versa when I bought mine in December.

Back