New Tax Plan Calculator - will you pay more or less?

Anyone pre-paying their 2017 real estate taxes this year, instead of waiting until 2018? With the proposed new brackets and standard deduction...it looks like it's best to get it on the books for this year for us.

I pay my taxes every December for the year, always thought others did the same.

I pay my taxes every December for the year, always thought others did the same.
Our real estate taxes are split into half's and paid in June and September usually.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Our real estate taxes are split into half's and paid in June and September usually.

Gotcha. I don’t escrow, but put aside money each month and come December I’ll pay the full amount (property, school and mud) to get the tax break that year.

Gotcha. I don’t escrow, but put aside money each month and come December I’ll pay the full amount (property, school and mud) to get the tax break that year.
Yeah we do the same. But we pay half on each installments due date. Just how illinois works I suppose

I have a decent amount of itemized deductions most years. So that makes it look like I’ll save around $1,800.

If I didn’t itemize, I’d be closer to the 4K most people have come up with.

I have a decent amount of itemized deductions most years. So that makes it look like I’ll save around $1,800.

If I didn’t itemize, I’d be closer to the 4K most people have come up with.

I usually itemize too. So does that mean it will be better to use the standard deduction?

I usually itemize too. So does that mean it will be better to use the standard deduction?

I think so. At least, according to the calculator at the OP's link. I went up to $20,000 in itemized deductions just to see and it still showed it would be better to take the standard deductions.

If this is true, there are going to be a lot of upset CPA's. Filing it myself would save me almost another $500.

I think so. At least, according to the calculator at the OP's link. I went up to $20,000 in itemized deductions just to see and it still showed it would be better to take the standard deductions.

If this is true, there are going to be a lot of upset CPA's. Filing it myself would save me almost another $500.
Wow! That would make my life a little easier.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Wow! That would make my life a little easier.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

the standard will likely be $24k for mfj.

Itemizing we're usually at about $13k in deductions.... but if it goes up to the $24k, then we'll be going with the standard deduction for sure.

The good news for most everyone that makes under $250k is the standard deduction is now $12k for singles and $24k for couples. They also got rid of the AMT.

While this is great, they are taking away the personal exemptions of $4,050 for 2017. So with the standard deduction and personal exemption singles were getting $6,350 + 4,050 = $10,400. Which comes to a difference of $1,600.

For couples with a child, they are actually losing out. Current MFJ std deduction is $12,700 + 4,050 + 4,050 = $20,800. Add the exemption for the child and that becomes $24,850. Add more children and you lose out on that $4,050 per child.

This also could hurt charities as with there will be less people itemizing their deductions, and therefore less incentive to donate to charities. Now I'd like to think people don't donate to charities just for the tax deduction, but I do personally know some previous clients who did.

From what I've read so far and from presentations from Deloitte (one of the big 4 accounting firms) on what's currently being voted on, there are senators that the republicans need for the vote that will not pass the bill unless there are changes made to allow higher state income tax deduction, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a big change from what is currently in the 2 bills and what the final bill will be. Also there is talk that the highest income tax rate will now be 37%, lowered from 39.6%. So the new calculations for high income tax payers will change.

Yeah, I was thinking about that 'donation' thing as well. I think there are two types of donations.....spur of the moment...and calculated. The calculated ones tend to be bigger and well planned. Those ones will suffer for sure. But it'll be interesting to see what the actual finished plan is.

I asked my wife about what she knows (She's a Deloitte employee) but she kindly reminded me....as she does everyone else that asks her.... she does not do taxes. hahaha. She's an auditor. She hates taxes. Doesn't even do ours. :p

While this is great, they are taking away the personal exemptions of $4,050 for 2017. So with the standard deduction and personal exemption singles were getting $6,350 + 4,050 = $10,400. Which comes to a difference of $1,600.

For couples with a child, they are actually losing out. Current MFJ std deduction is $12,700 + 4,050 + 4,050 = $20,800. Add the exemption for the child and that becomes $24,850. Add more children and you lose out on that $4,050 per child.

This also could hurt charities as with there will be less people itemizing their deductions, and therefore less incentive to donate to charities. Now I'd like to think people don't donate to charities just for the tax deduction, but I do personally know some previous clients who did.

From what I've read so far and from presentations from Deloitte (one of the big 4 accounting firms) on what's currently being voted on, there are senators that the republicans need for the vote that will not pass the bill unless there are changes made to allow higher state income tax deduction, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a big change from what is currently in the 2 bills and what the final bill will be. Also there is talk that the highest income tax rate will now be 37%, lowered from 39.6%. So the new calculations for high income tax payers will change.

We would greatly benefit from this plan. So I don't hate it.

Yeah, I was thinking about that 'donation' thing as well. I think there are two types of donations.....spur of the moment...and calculated. The calculated ones tend to be bigger and well planned. Those ones will suffer for sure. But it'll be interesting to see what the actual finished plan is.

I asked my wife about what she knows (She's a Deloitte employee) but she kindly reminded me....as she does everyone else that asks her.... she does not do taxes. hahaha. She's an auditor. She hates taxes. Doesn't even do ours. :p

Haha, I just got out of taxes this past year. Looking forward to my first year of not having to do taxes and actually being able to get out and golf during the nice weather in the spring.

It will for sure make filing a lot easier for a lot of filers and the new rates are looking to save most people in the $2-4k range each year, but I think hurting charities could be an unintended consequence. Who knows, maybe there won't be any effect on charities (which is what I'm really hoping).

Overall though, I think the tax plan is great, especially for businesses as there is more incentives now for businesses to stay in the United States. Hopefully this will lead to higher wages and higher employment levels, which is what I believe the main goal of this tax plan is.

Yeah they really need a better system for the whole diaper thing. Expensive and they don't get used for too long. But now hopefully you'll have a few extra $$ for it.

Haha, I just got out of taxes this past year. Looking forward to my first year of not having to do taxes and actually being able to get out and golf during the nice weather in the spring.

It will for sure make filing a lot easier for a lot of filers and the new rates are looking to save most people in the $2-4k range each year, but I think hurting charities could be an unintended consequence. Who knows, maybe there won't be any effect on charities (which is what I'm really hoping).

Overall though, I think the tax plan is great, especially for businesses as there is more incentives now for businesses to stay in the United States. Hopefully this will lead to higher wages and higher employment levels, which is what I believe the main goal of this tax plan is.
Fingers crossed!

but don't gloss over the increased child tax credit. it's increasing from $1k per child to $2k per child, and adding a non-child dependent credit of $500. and that credit isn't being phased out until $400k of agi, which is significantly higher than current phaseouts.

but don't gloss over the increased child tax credit. it's increasing from $1k per child to $2k per child, and adding a non-child dependent credit of $500. and that credit isn't being phased out until $400k of agi, which is significantly higher than current phaseouts.

I didn't gloss over that. I was speaking directly about the change to the standard deduction.

I didn't gloss over that. I was speaking directly about the change to the standard deduction.

you're saying people with a child are losing out. sure they're losing dependency exemptions, but doubling the credit is a big win, as is the massive increase to the allowable base before phaseouts. and if they're getting phased out of the child tax credit with the new law, it's a wash because they're likely losing their dependency exemptions under the current law. net net i don't think they're losing anything, and most mfj filers with kids will see good sized savings.

there are some interesting things in the law. the from agi pass-through deduction looks like a real headache. most of the other stuff seems to be pretty straightforward. i hate that the amt and niit didn't go away.

Then the real question is where have they been the last 10 years?
As the future debt has risen, all of the questions were answered with "wait and see".

And I am not speaking political parties, as this crosses both aisles, and until we clear the entire political landscape (which I believe is being attempted), none of it matters.

The National Debt and what that means for the solvency of the US Dollar is the biggest threat to national security that we are currently faced with, and no one wants to talk about it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living in the mess that is the state of California I do not expect that my taxes will go down, if anything I would not be surprised if they go up. Oh well, at least I get to play golf in December and January.

Oh well, at least I get to play golf in December and January.

You can do that in Texas, and the cost of living is cheaper!

Illinois is not exactly a tax utopia either. Our state personal income tax was increased this year by 32%. We haven't crunched the numbers yet, but for us, any savings at the federal level will likely be a wash at the state level.

Back