I played a night round years ago, it was fun with glow balls and such. But, it's really just for fun. Definitely worth doing once in your golf career :)

Ours was glow balls, too. Definitely tougher than under the lights I would think.

Ours was glow balls, too. Definitely tougher than under the lights I would think.

I would think that under the lights would be tougher because the lights dont light up 100% of the course and you arent able to watch your ballflight (assuming you arent using glow balls).
Theres another course around here that every year around Halloween has a special tournament where you play at night with glowballs and the flagsticks are painting with glow in the dark paint. Also, an added twist is that they have people on the course who are dressed in various scary costumers who jump out from behind trees and try to scare you. Thankfully, they dont do it in the middle of your backswing.

This is my favorite picture from a recent night golf event:

AbsoluteBlackGranite-P121745307.jpg

Another of my friend teeing off on hole #3:

AbsoluteBlackGranite-P121745307.jpg

Yepp, it was an epic night....wait a minute...

I would think that under the lights would be tougher because the lights dont light up 100% of the course and you arent able to watch your ballflight (assuming you arent using glow balls).
Theres another course around here that every year around Halloween has a special tournament where you play at night with glowballs and the flagsticks are painting with glow in the dark paint. Also, an added twist is that they have people on the course who are dressed in various scary costumers who jump out from behind trees and try to scare you. Thankfully, they dont do it in the middle of your backswing.

I'm talking more about the actual hitting of the ball, not finding it!

Our golf league held two tournaments a year back years ago, we used glow balls, we used the glow sticks on the tee boxes and on the flag stick, I had my own cart and one year we had a tourny where we played 9 holes in the daylight and then 9 at night, I had a 12volt attachment on my golf cart and nothing was specified in the rules about what kind of light you could use so I had a spotlight with tripod legs that I could set up and it would light up the whole fairway!!!! :D I also had a coleman propane latern that we used around the green, you could hold the latern up and be able to read your putts, the ball was about a club and a half shorter then regular balls, I once knocked the stick out of my ball and the only way we found the ball was to step on it, luckily I hit it straight for once, it was a hoot to see one go into the water, it would glow half the pond, if you lost your ball you would have to go to alternate shot, needless to say after that tournament our league changed the rules, we shot -4 in the daytime and -6 at night, we played the womens tees at night to help offset the distance factor, I would love to find another night tournament to play in, like someone said earlier, lots of great times, and many great stories came from the events.

Our golf league held two tournaments a year back years ago, we used glow balls, we used the glow sticks on the tee boxes and on the flag stick, I had my own cart and one year we had a tourny where we played 9 holes in the daylight and then 9 at night, I had a 12volt attachment on my golf cart and nothing was specified in the rules about what kind of light you could use so I had a spotlight with tripod legs that I could set up and it would light up the whole fairway!!!! :D I also had a coleman propane latern that we used around the green, you could hold the latern up and be able to read your putts, the ball was about a club and a half shorter then regular balls, I once knocked the stick out of my ball and the only way we found the ball was to step on it, luckily I hit it straight for once, it was a hoot to see one go into the water, it would glow half the pond, if you lost your ball you would have to go to alternate shot, needless to say after that tournament our league changed the rules, we shot -4 in the daytime and -6 at night, we played the womens tees at night to help offset the distance factor, I would love to find another night tournament to play in, like someone said earlier, lots of great times, and many great stories came from the events.

That's how the one was yesterday, half in the evening and half after dark. We went driving around, and there weren't people doing what you did, but they had flashlights so they could see better. Not against the rules, but definitely to be expected in a scramble. I figure playing the way it is intended would be more fun then circumventing the rules. But then again, that's what is the matter with scrambles in general.

I was in Iceland in June and they have midnight tee times. I didn't play at night due to other commitments, but did get out and play in the morning. 24 hrs of sunlight means you can play all day.

Sounds like it would be fun but I don't think damaging my clubs would be worth it

This would be a blast with cheap balls, and a cheap set of irons! I wouldnt want to accidentally scratch my stuff either.

I played the last few holes of my round last week in a dimly lit course. The course had lights but only in certain areas and only 1 or 2 of the 4 bulbs in each light were working. It sucked to say the least. Was not fun at all. Probably wouldve helped a lot to have glow in the dark balls though.

Last night one of the local courses had a, "glow in the dark golf" outing that I played in. It was a lot of fun. They gave us these golf balls that had a hole drilled through them that you inserted a short little glow stick into and they hung glowsticks off of the flagstick so that you could see where the pin was and when you got on the green and removed the flagstick they had us put a larger, round glowstick into the hole so that you could see where it was.
Also, they shortened the holes all up to about 150 yards and marked the temporary tee boxes with tiki torches.
Really the only issues came in seeing where you were driving the cart (the carts didnt have headlights) and in juding the lie and reading the break of the green. Even with a high-powered flashlight it was almost impossible to read the break and I had one instance where I left a chip shot was short because the lie was a lot juicier than I thought and I didnt hit the ball hard enough.
All in all it was a blast though and Id definetly do it again if I had the chance.

After going to the local range and hitting a bucket with the new wrenches, I was leaving and saw all these people with pushcarts, some with flashlights on them (or something similar). They all had those glow sticks around their neck or attached to their person in some fashion. I watched for a bit to see where they were going and thought I saw some glowing golf balls down the fairway a bit, but probably was just seeing things. There were quite a few people heading out and looked like it would be fun and a lot of them were what looked like family's (parents and kids).

No lights at all, with the exception of the driving range, has anyone done this lately? Apparently after looking at their wesite, they have these events often.

After going to the local range and hitting a bucket with the new wrenches, I was leaving and saw all these people with pushcarts, some with flashlights on them (or something similar). They all had those glow sticks around their neck or attached to their person in some fashion. I watched for a bit to see where they were going and thought I saw some glowing golf balls down the fairway a bit, but probably was just seeing things. There were quite a few people heading out and looked like it would be fun and a lot of them were what looked like family's (parents and kids).

No lights at all, with the exception of the driving range, has anyone done this lately? Apparently after looking at their wesite, they have these events often.

Just had one this past fri night wanted to play but could'nt get a foursome together $35.00 for 9 holes w/glow balls inc. suppose to glow for 10 min. after being hit .I think it would be fun for something different maybe not so much if you can't keep it in the fareways....

Played one of these a while back with Ranger junior.....it was great fun ...couldn't use a driver or wood on the glow stick balls as they would crack.....played with a head torch on.....I struggled a little with depth perception in the dark but as I was playing pure yardage shots with my irons it was a reasonable round.....
We had a shotgun start triggered by a large rocket fired from the clubhouse ....the view was awesome little glowing green streaks launching off the tees all over the golf course.....I would do it again

Played one of these last night. It was pretty dang cool, although they bought the worst balls imaginable. We hit an old driver and played from the ladies tees. The hardest part was club selection because the balls are rock hard and don't travel like a normal ball. We still managed to shoot -2, but didn't come close to winning.

Played the same course this morning and couldn't figure out what these smaller flags were in addition to the normal ones on the green. Around hole 4 I figured out they were for the night games...huge target in the day. I also noticed there were tee boxes, or markers a lot closer to the greens. Guess they tee off from those to make it a bit quicker.
IMAG0677.jpg

My course is having their night golf with a Hawai'ian luau theme. They will have a roast pig even!

I have played a night tournament... IT was a lot of fun. Glowing streaks flying through the sky all over the place. It was also funny seeing the glowing balls in the water.... LOL....

My course is having their night golf with a Hawai'ian luau theme. They will have a roast pig even!

Now that would be a good time.

there are a couple lit par 3 courses that I'm jonseing to play!

Every year I do a charity event for a local blind school. It is night golf, with glo-n-the-dark balls, etc.

We all dress up wearing neon, glow in the dark clothing and accessories. Sorta looks like we are going to a lame rave in north dakota or something. Then we each have balls with LED lights inside. Also, the course lines the edges of the fairways with small lights. It looks like an airplane landing strip. Water hazards were marked with small blue lights and the greens were marked with small green lights. It is a blast... a little TOO much fun.

There was some glow golf going on at the resort I was at, looked like fun!

Never played night golf on purpose - only a few holes here and there while desperately trying to finish out a round. Last night played two holes basically in the dark. The whole perception of the ball changes for me when I can barely see it both for hitting and putting (I had to tend the pin for my son on a 10ft putt it was so dark). All of a sudden it becomes tough to make a swing. Even with glowing balls, etc. I think it would be quite difficult or maybe it just takes getting used to. Its not like the ball is moving or you have to swing differently so must be all in the eye and mind.... Given that it is now getting dark before 5pm here, it would be nice to be able to play night golf one way or another but probably not too much of a chance that I will but for a few final holes now and again.

I played a round at Kierland in Scottsdale a couple of years ago in November and the folks in front of us were incredibly slow. So for the last two holes, it was pretty dark but with a glow in the sky. What was cool was once the ball was over the horizon, they were real easy to see until they dropped back down. Had to really trust your distances (thank god for my GPS watch).

On 18, I hit 7 iron from 165 at the green and just hoped. Tracking it in the sky it looked pretty good - right on the green. Found it 6' short of the pin, right on line. I will say that given the darkness, all that one can really focus on is striking the ball good and clean.

Back