Nike Split Back Unboxing

lol, i play with i5's, ALL other irons look good to me. but as i've said before,function first,then form.

lol, i play with i5's, ALL other irons look good to me. but as i've said before,function first,then form.

I am trying to kick myself in the booty and get this in my head!

These Nike irons remind me of the early Peerless PHD irons but without the reinforced hosel. The PHD were a very popular iron.

I agree NorthVanMike. In my view, however, it's 99.9% about the swing. For example, I played in a two person ambrose last week. My partner in the ambrose played off 6. We were teamed with a couple of guys (Guy & Mark) that played off single figures. Basically I was playing with three 'sweet swingers'. After the round, I was chatting with them. Here's the thing. The fellow named Guy, played as a kid but these days due to family commitments only plays about 3 times a year. He was playing with a bits & pieces set of clubs that were cast offs he had borrowed from a friend because his old set had been stolen. It didn't matter. Could he handle himself. He could've played with a coke bottle on a stick. He plans to get back into golf in a couple of years time when his son is older but hardly plays at the moment. You'd think he played comp three times a week.

So, I was playing with 3 single markers. None had the latest model clubs. To illustrate, my playing partner had Cleveland irons of a few models ago. His 3 wood was Wilson Staff of about 3 models ago. But they didn't need the latest release.

The important point about these guys is that their swing did the job. They could make the ball sing. I just felt privileged to be able to watch them play their array of shots. Fades around doglegs, knock downs, crunching compression shots, when needed, to stop the ball on the green ... everything.

I'm not trying to begrudge anyone the right to change clubs as often or as seldom as they want. I'm just trying to highlight (in my humble opinion) the overarching importance of a good technique.

Last edited:
Brad,
Although I agree that the swing is more important than the equipment, it does matter. Perhaps the people you were playing with could have taken their game from a 6 to a 2 with proper fitting and new equipment???

Sure the player is more important than the club, but its not all marketing. Hotstix the number one club outfitter has proven that the drivers of today go longer and spin less. They have proven that the wedges of today spin more and are more forgiving.

So the benefits are of course more pronounced for the average golfer than they are for the single digit guy.

Back