no universal shaft specs

lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
This may have been mentioned at some point, but how is there no universal spec requirement for calling a shaft, R, S, or XS, or all the other options. I've seen it recently with my clubs, and had a couple fitters mention that one shafts R, may be another companies S, and vice versa.

There really should be a standard across the board for shaft makers, am I wrong on this?

It would be nice if there were, but then you'd have to have a universal loft standard for club heads too.

It would be nice if there were, but then you'd have to have a universal loft standard for club heads too.

That's not a bad idea either. You could have std loft, and then high and low. It would almost be more practical than a standard shaft do to other variables such as kick point, weight, etc.

Dreams....in the end it comes down to feel and results regardless of either. The way it should be I guess.

Who would enforce it? That's my first question. Shaft flex is relative to the other shafts in the product line. I understand that. Miyazaki uses a flex code, so you can tell how each shaft compares to another. That might be as good as we get.

They are like hockey sticks the only thing consistent is within a company. I don't think much of it and it doesn't bother me. I just have to try the clubs myself and make my decision. I also notice balance more than flex I find a great balanced club is what makes it smooth.

Agree. just do your homework when buying new shafts.

A few companies have programs that have a universal system for shaft flex. Wishons is by far the best has most of the big shaft manufactures in there and you are able to graph the differences in each shafts flex at different points on the shaft.

Back