Noobie Vancouverite Golfer checking in and needing alot of advice.

JimmyJiveJones

Reaction score
So i started playing golf in late August of this year. B4 that i would maybe goto the range once a year for a couple years. Thats basically all my golf experience. Ive played a couple executive courses and absolutely fell in love with the game. I "borrowed" my brothers old Wilson ProStaff PT golf set (graphite shafts) and i thought i played pretty well with them. On average i shot around +26. But i had a pretty bad slice problem with my driver and i couldnt fix it (read some reviews and people said the driver is the weakest club in my set), so i decided to buy a Taylormade R9 460 driver. dialed it in 1 degree to help with the slice. i also choke the club 1 inch cause its a 45". Im only 5'8" and its helped alil bit but my slice problem has yet to be fixed. Should i adjust it another degree? Ive watched alot of videos online and basically they say that my club face is open which is causing the slice.

I also have a hard time hitting out of bad rough spots so I bought a set of used Taylormade Superlaunch irons cause i read they were forgiving and get the ball up quick and i "thought" maybe with a steel shaft over graphite, i could hit through that rough better. I played with them for 2 rounds and it made my iron game worse. Even though i was pretty confident using my irons aside from the 3 iron. With the wilsons i take alil bit of grass behind the ball and it gets up pretty good. But with the superlaunch's i skull the ball alot, like the club head doesnt dig into the grass good enough and i barely get it up. i did measure the superlaunches iron head (the base) and it measure 1 1/2 inches. while the wilsons were half that at 3/4 inches. could that be my problem? the guys i played with told me that every golfer is different and the better club or more expensive club is not always better

Anyways thanks for any future advice u guys may give me.

i look forward to being part of this forum

Welcome to THP!

Regarding your driver, adjusting the driver to another loft, should close the face a little more but a slice is more than just an open face. It’s an out to in path. You can keep a perfectly square face but have an extreme out to in path and still fade/slice. But closing the face could help a bit more!

With your irons, don’t assume steel is better at anything than graphite. That’s not a thing. Steel can fit people better than graphite, but it’s not “better”. I’m sure the sole could be an issue but remember that you’re not supposed to hit up on the ball with irons. You’re supposed to hit down. So adjust ball position a bit and see if that helps at all

Welcome! Golf is hard. Golf is intoxicating. I’d suggest lessons if possible. The equipment is a bunch of fun too, but at your stage a few lessons and a bunch of practice can make a huge difference.

Welcome!!

:welcome:

Welcome to THP!

Regarding the driver, if it has an upright setting, try that. If you adjusted it 1 degree below that stated loft, try it at 1 degree over the stated loft. Going less than the stated loft will open the face while going over the stated loft will close it. Also, try to swing more inside.

Welcome to THP, glad to have you!

Welcome to THP.

Welcome to THP!!!

Welcome to the forum.

The R9 was a favorite driver of mine, but I struggled with the same with it. I naturally play a fade, but the R9 I would lose way to the right. Have you tried any other drivers? One with a lower spin rate would possibly help.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to THP!

Golf is an amazing game and can be very addicting.
If you like the game find a teacher and take a few lessons.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to thp

Welcome to THP! I hope you enjoy the forum.

Welcome to THP.

might suggest getting a professional to take a look and help. Definitely worth it, imho, to be sure you address the correct problem(s).

Glad you joined. Best of luck and hope to hear more about how things go.

Welcome to THP!

Regarding your driver, adjusting the driver to another loft, should close the face a little more but a slice is more than just an open face. It’s an out to in path. You can keep a perfectly square face but have an extreme out to in path and still fade/slice. But closing the face could help a bit more
With your irons, don’t assume steel is better at anything than graphite. That’s not a thing. Steel can fit people better than graphite, but it’s not “better”. I’m sure the sole could be an issue but remember that you’re not supposed to hit up on the ball with irons. You’re supposed to hit down. So adjust ball position a bit and see if that helps at all
Interesting. i think ive always hit the ball with my iron on the way up. But im actually not 100% sure.

Welcome to the forum.

The R9 was a favorite driver of mine, but I struggled with the same with it. I naturally play a fade, but the R9 I would lose way to the right. Have you tried any other drivers? One with a lower spin rate would possibly help.

Ive only tried 3 drivers. the Wilson Prostaff 10.5 Loft, TM R9 460 9.5 Loft and the TM R580XD 9.5 Loft. I have zero knowledge on spin rates.

Yes ive heard about the out to in path, i read having ur back leg a couple inches not square with ur front leg helps with slicing(if that makes sense). made sure my front arm is square with the ball. having a really good grip, keeping your head down.

Since its almost winter in Vancouver im just trying to hit up courses with the limited days we have of sun here until i have no choice but hit up a driving range. And its me being super stubborn but i do like being self taught. But if i cant get this slice problem fixed on my own i would defintately consider getting lessons for it.

thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice.

Back