Normal shot shape and preferred putt breaks

Parrot

2025 Worldwide Golf Championship - Team ?????
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was watching Shell’s WWoG and heard something interesting. Steve Melnyk said that players whose natural shot shape is right to left prefer putts that break right to left, and vice-versa. I don’t know if it proves true over a large sample but my shot shape is right to left and I prefer a right to left putt. I see the break and line more clearly. Coincidence? I don’t know but am curious how this plays out for you. @vgolfman , thoughts?

My preference is straight

I have opposing preferences - cut on the shot shape; and right to left on putts. Preferably inside right. I love inside right 😀

I am actually the opposite which maybe is weird...i'd never thought about it. I am a lefty that plays a draw (left to right) --But my preference for a breaking putt is right-to-left

Interested to see if that is weird. Good question

My normal shot shape, or well I guess that would be what I play most often with is Left to Right and that's actually what I'm better at making putt wise

A light draw and my putt that I want if possible if I miss is below the hole. An uphill putt is just more simple for me.
Right to left break or vice-versa?

This is interesting...I prefer putts that break left to right which aligns to my shot shape with every club. If I have a putt that breaks right to left I will make contact out towards the toe to prevent pulling the putt left. 🤷‍♂️

If I have a putt that breaks right to left I will make contact out towards the toe to prevent pulling the putt left.
Interesting. I set up and want to make contact toward the toe on downhill putts.

Interesting. I set up and want to make contact toward the toe on downhill putts.
I may need to try that to keep the ball from blowing by the cup.

Right to left break or vice-versa?

depends for me on the green and where my ball is on my approach shot. I always try to aim for a below the hole approach and putt. Right or left could be either. I'm pretty decent at either but, if i had to chose left - right and never looking for a down hill putt regardless of break.

Last edited:
Yes. I play the ball left to right. That is my preferred break for putts as I see the line better. I'm used to aiming left.

I play a fade, I like a straight putt.

i play what i call a fade/cut with my driver...for putts, i don't have a preference.

Right to left is my preferred putt. There are very few straight putts on my course.

I agree, my shot shape is a fade and I'd prefer a right to left breaking putt

I was watching Shell’s WWoG and heard something interesting. Steve Melnyk said that players whose natural shot shape is right to left prefer putts that break right to left, and vice-versa. I don’t know if it proves true over a large sample but my shot shape is right to left and I prefer a right to left putt. I see the break and line more clearly. Coincidence? I don’t know but am curious how this plays out for you. @vgolfman , thoughts?
I’m the opposite, I play a fade (or more specific slice lol) and I’m more comfortable on right to left breaks on putts.

My preference is straight
Same. I know it isn't going to be straight most of the time but a little fall to the left or the right is just fine.

Natural shot shape is right to left and I also prefer right to left putts. Never really even thought about it until you asked the question.

However as mentioned above my preference in both is straight.

I’ve heard that before as well. I know of no actual tests, surveys or sturdies that could help to prove it, and there are certainly some players it’s true for (50/50 chance right?) but think this is one of those old golf wives’ tales that makes a little sense, is harmless so some people like it and repeat it. Ask around, make we can help to prove it here. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I prefer straight for both, but have a left to right shot shape and do indeed prefer a left to right breaking putt.

Back