Normal shot shape and preferred putt breaks

I think I used to fit that description, but it was more based in a perceived preference than what actually works best for me. I'm a stock draw guy with a lot of clubs, but it turns out I actually make more L-->R putts. And I'm certain that's because I don't see well on my left. So the break is more in front of me if it moves right.

Typically play a draw. No preference on putt break direction. I'm bad at both.

I prefer a putt that moves right to left but I am working to make my shot shape left to right.

I actually prefer a draw shot shape but like my putts to go left to right. I feel like I don't try to play the break with my stroke. I know righties are supposed to like right to left breaking putts, but I feel like I subconsciously putt a draw stroke on the putt. I hate it.

I have been turning into a draw player when striking the ball but I am a long term fader. I have always preferred a right to left putt.

I’ve heard that before as well. I know of no actual tests, surveys or sturdies that could help to prove it, and there are certainly some players it’s true for (50/50 chance right?) but think this is one of those old golf wives’ tales that makes a little sense, is harmless so some people like it and repeat it. Ask around, make we can help to prove it here. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

I think I used to fit that description, but it was more based in a perceived preference than what actually works best for me. I'm a stock draw guy with a lot of clubs, but it turns out I actually make more L-->R putts. And I'm certain that's because I don't see well on my left. So the break is more in front of me if it moves right.

I think the 2 bolded thoughts make a whole lot of sense. And I'm not sure any correlation between shot shape and break preference matters other than for a curiosity.

I'm right eye dominant. I see things better with that eye. I feel a little more at ease when I see that a putt is R2L, especially if it is downhill. I don't know if I make more putts that are left to right or right to left. I'll add that to the things I want to take note of in my game for 2023.

I was watching Shell’s WWoG and heard something interesting. Steve Melnyk said that players whose natural shot shape is right to left prefer putts that break right to left, and vice-versa. I don’t know if it proves true over a large sample but my shot shape is right to left and I prefer a right to left putt. I see the break and line more clearly. Coincidence? I don’t know but am curious how this plays out for you. @vgolfman , thoughts?
I hadn't thought about it, but I play a draw and prefer a right to left breaking putt. Odd...

Hmmmmm, I agree. My normal shot is a fade left to right and I prefer a putt that also breaks left to right.

My normal shot shape is a draw, but I'm more comfortable over left to right breaking putts. For whatever reason, I can see the line better. Right to left putts mess with my head.
(Right hander, right eye dominant, but I write left-handed - go figure!)

Left to right shot shape. I really don’t have a preference on putts except distance The shorter the better.

Left to right for sure on putts but normal shot shape is not something I have. I have a 4 way miss and no idea when which 1 will happen.

I would love for them to be straight, but right to left feels normal.

I have a Right to Left Shot shape and I prefer straight and Right to left putts. But to add to your OP.....I have always heard that Right handers prefer Right to left putts

I'm a weird one so I'm not sure if I am agreeing with the thought or not :LOL:

Shot shape is a right to left fade (lefty) but I putt righty and also prefer a right to left break. If I was putting lefty, I would much rather see a left to right break. I'm way more worried about putts that break away from me way compared to putts that break towards me.

So while I in theory follow the rule, it's messy since I hit the ball from one side and putt the ball from another lol

I think the 2 bolded thoughts make a whole lot of sense. And I'm not sure any correlation between shot shape and break preference matters other than for a curiosity.

I'm right eye dominant. I see things better with that eye. I feel a little more at ease when I see that a putt is R2L, especially if it is downhill. I don't know if I make more putts that are left to right or right to left. I'll add that to the things I want to take note of in my game for 2023.
I’m right handed, left eye dominate and prefer left to right putts

Try for straight but generally L-R, have to set up for a draw. Prefer putts L-R.

Draw shot and draw putt for me (over left to right. Prefer straight putt, of course).

That's something I've never actually considered before, but thinking on it I'm probably the opposite. My natural ball flight is a left to right fade, and I much prefer a right to left breaker on the greens.

Back