Northern, Nj, NYC, Westchester and Long Island, Ny

This still going on? Looks like I'm most probably going to be off Wednesday 9/2.

I can set a date on Wednesday if the stars align. My Tour de Bethpage will have to take a step back as I am really eyeing the new Great Big Bertha, but it shouldn't be an issue for a couple rounds.

I played Trump Golf Links at Ferry Point Park yesterday and I have to admit that as much as I dislike Donald Trump, he has a really great course. The service is first class all the way from the bag drop, to the pro shop, to the starter, to the halfway house, and even on-course food service delivery! So many nice and helpful people!

The clubhouse is very well appointed given its temporary status. The driving range has both grass and mat options depending on the condition of the grass; 3 putting greens (2 near range, 1 near first hole) and a practice bunker complete the practice facilities. I can't say enough about the views, especially off of holes 7, 9, 13, 16, and 18. I especially loved 7 and 16 because water was in play for these holes and the wildlife around the water. I loved walking the course although by the end, I felt like I had twisted an ankle from all of the little hills and knobs of fescue on them.

And the greens!!!! WOW!!! Unbelievably smooth rolling and fast. Undulation everywhere. I almost wish I hadn't gotten the first tee time because the greens speeded up considerably from the morning to midday. I found it hard to aim because I was so accustomed to using old pitch marks and imperfections to aim at holes. Not at Ferry Point! I also thought the hole locations this day were also notably 'evil'; they were either placed in really inaccessible locations forcing me to go for the center of the green OR they were placed behind bunkers forcing me to carry my approach entirely to the putting surface. One hole (I think hole 4) even had its hole location set exactly at the beginning of a VERY SEVERE downslope which was not readily apparent from 100 yards away.

Some notes about the various tee boxes available at Ferry Point. The staff rightfully does not mark the black tees. I was in the first tee time of the day at 700a creating a threesome. My playing partners insisted on playing from the tips which were the gold tees yesterday and I think that was a HUGE mistake on their part. What could have been a sub-4 hour round turned into 4:50 because immediately from the start up to HOLE 18, we were searching for their lost balls in the fescue mounds. I stopped helping them after hole 9 because we were already 20 minutes off pace at that point, passing the turn at 2:20-2:25. They also barely made the fairways on many holes. The blues tees are hard enough as it is; I only managed to score a 96 and I could have done better had I moved up to the whites. After the round, I suggested to the staff that if they really want to distinguish this course in New York City, be VERY STRICT about handicaps and tee box selection. For the price and clientele they expect, I think that they can make this demand. Black: 0-4. Gold: 0-12. Blue: 0-18. White: 0-24. Red: all.

The part I dislike the most about Ferry Point however is getting to the course. On this occasion, I booked my first ever Uber trips to get to and from the course but I would prefer use public transit. Unfortunately, I have indeed confirmed that the route to get to Ferry Point on public transit is as follows:

1. Take the 6 train to Parkchester.
2. Transfer to the Q44 bus.
3. Get off the Q44 bus at the HUTCHINSON RVR PKY/WENNER PL stop. This is the stop next to Target on the Hutchinson River Parkway service road just before the bus takes the highway and the Whitestone bridge into Queens.
4. Continue south and walk 1 mile (20 minutes) along the Hutchinson River Parkway service road to get to the course. It looks as if you can also walk through Ferry Point Park alongside the road.

I would only do this if I had absolutely no other way to get to Ferry Point. Uber or car service is definitely easier.

Overall, I'm very satisfied. For the NYC resident rate, I had a great experience but any more than that, I will likely go elsewhere.

Last edited:
Anyone else get rained out today?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Rain all day on Long Island.

Stso, how long are the tee boxes? I play a high 20s handicap, but have no issues with 6500 yards. My ball will slice from 5800y tees to 7200y tees, it knows no limits. How can they prove it? Do you need to bring you handicap card, or is it based off the honor system?

Getting another foursome for Bethpage Black either on Saturday 8/15 or Sunday 8/16. Pending one invite already so I may only have two spots open.

Do you have 8/15 available? What time?

Rain all day on Long Island.

Stso, how long are the tee boxes? I play a high 20s handicap, but have no issues with 6500 yards. My ball will slice from 5800y tees to 7200y tees, it knows no limits. How can they prove it? Do you need to bring you handicap card, or is it based off the honor system?

Here are the yardages, ratings, and slopes for the various tees at Ferry Point:
=====
* Black: 7407 yards. 76.3/146.
* Gold: 6867 yards. 74.2/135.
* Blue: 6404 yards. 71.4/130.
* White: 6068 yards. 69.7/127 (Men), 75.1/131 (Women).
* Red: 5278 yards. 71.3/124 (Women).

AngryYankee, you are right to ask about proof. Ferry Point does not verify handicaps now although I did make that suggestion after the round. There isn't really a way to verify handicaps there except through the honor system. I was just really upset at the fact that the round took 4:50 for a threesome, first group out on the day, expecting it to be a 4 hour round MAX. Had everyone in my group shot from the whites, all of us would likely have had rounds anywhere from high 80s to low 90s, shooting for par most of the day instead of bogey. Instead, the extra distance just made the day a little less fun than it could have been.

Last edited:

Cloudy in the AM but no rain here in Cali. Unfortunately vacation ends tomorrow and flying back to NY :disapointed:.

Cloudy in the AM but no rain here in Cali. Unfortunately vacation ends tomorrow and flying back to NY :disapointed:.

It's OK, we're supposed to have a stretch of decently cool weather (for summer) :clapp:

Do you have 8/15 available? What time?

No, I could not secure o slot early enough. If you want we can walk on as a twosome.

No, I could not secure o slot early enough. If you want we can walk on as a twosome.

We'd likely have to get there early, yes? In your experience, how quickly can we get on there if we show up, say, at 8am?

Sent from iPhone+Tapatalk

We'd likely have to get there early, yes? In your experience, how quickly can we get on there if we show up, say, at 8am?

It may be a couple hours since the morning ones are booked up, but you never know. Worst case we can set up a tee time there and play another course until it's time.

Northern, Nj, NYC, Westchester and Long Island, Ny

It may be a couple hours since the morning ones are booked up, but you never know. Worst case we can set up a tee time there and play another course until it's time.

I'll have to pass on this one as I only have the morning available that day :-(.

Next time - always a great time going through a round with ya!

Have a reservation at 6:20 tomorrow morning on Bethpage green. Seemed like there was 1 slot left open if anyone's interested.

Anyone up for playing this weekend? Wouldn't mind going 36 holes.

Anyone up for playing this weekend? Wouldn't mind going 36 holes.

Wish I could, phone bill and cradti card bills got me this week.

Anyway, what's everyone's plan for weekend of 9/12 9/13? Looking to make a Black run again.

I have a tee time on Bethpage Black at 11:03 on this coming Sunday (8/23). A few buddies bailed for various reasons but I'd hate to give up the tee time. Anyone interested in playing?

I have a tee time on Bethpage Black at 11:03 on this coming Sunday (8/23). A few buddies bailed for various reasons but I'd hate to give up the tee time. Anyone interested in playing?

I'm in

If there is a spot still available, I think I can swing it. Thought it would be a golf free weekend, but it turns out I am available.

I'm playing Mansion Ridge in Monroe, NY on Saturday at 2:00. There's one more spot left on TeeOff.com for $53 if anybody wants to join me.

I can set a date on Wednesday if the stars align. My Tour de Bethpage will have to take a step back as I am really eyeing the new Great Big Bertha, but it shouldn't be an issue for a couple rounds.

I'm down for Wednesday 9/2 if you want to play. I'll probably be going there regardless.

I'm down for Wednesday 9/2 if you want to play. I'll probably be going there regardless.

Give me a time and course. Unfortunately, no tour, and no new driver. But who cares, I'm on vacation that week!

I'm playing Mansion Ridge in Monroe, NY on Saturday at 2:00. There's one more spot left on TeeOff.com for $53 if anybody wants to join me.
I got tix to The Barclays on Saturday so I'm not going to be able to use the tee time that I booked/pre-paid. PM me if you want to take it!

Planning on playing Eisenhower Park sometime this week. Never been there before, so looking forward to it. N54, my phone is broken, so send me a PM on when you want to play Bethpage.

I am playing at Mansion Ridge in Monroe NY about 45 minutes from the city this Thursday at 10:20. There are 3 spots open for this tee time. Would anyone would like to join? I live in NYC and will be driving.

The course is a Jack Nicklaus signature course design. Troon mangement took over this year and is doing a great job. Here is a link to the website www.mansionridgegc.com.

Last edited:
Planning on playing Eisenhower Park sometime this week. Never been there before, so looking forward to it. N54, my phone is broken, so send me a PM on when you want to play Bethpage.

Im down to play Eisenhower park on Wednesday instead if you want or even Crab meadow or Hamlet Wind Watch. Have never played either of them.

Last edited:
Back