Not interested in televised golf right now

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
I cannot believe the President’s Cup is finally here... and I have zero interest in it. Honestly, my interest in watching and following golf had declined significantly this year. Having the PGA Championship so soon in the season really threw things off for me and I felt like the season ended with the Open Championship. The playoffs did very little for me and I have not really followed any of the tournaments this season except for when Tiger was leading.

Normally I at least have these tournaments on in the background and listen to coverage in the car on PGA radio and I can tell you who won. But this season it’s been crickets for me. I get a few highlights here and there like the big Patrick Reed controversy. Other than that I’m not interested.

I don’t know if it’s because of the season format change or what.

anyone else?

I cannot believe the President’s Cup is finally here... and I have zero interest in it. Honestly, my interest in watching and following golf had declined significantly this year. Having the PGA Championship so soon in the season really threw things off for me and I felt like the season ended with the Open Championship. The playoffs did very little for me and I have not really followed any of the tournaments this season except for when Tiger was leading.

Normally I at least have these tournaments on in the background and listen to coverage in the car on PGA radio and I can tell you who won. But this season it’s been crickets for me. I get a few highlights here and there like the big Patrick Reed controversy. Other than that I’m not interested.

I don’t know if it’s because of the season format change or what.

anyone else?

I agree that August was a good spot for the PGA Championship. Regarding televised golf, I watch Senior Tour, Korn-Ferry Tour, LPGA, PGA etc... year round. Watching pros play is a good way to learn golf swing technique, tempo, club selection, lines of play etc...

I think the schedule change only affects those who think it will affect them. I watch very little golf. Not because I don't want to, but because I chose not to pay for cable.

My interest in following or watching the weekly PGA Tournaments has been on the decline for more than 5 years. I rarely watch anything other than the Masters and some of the weekend rounds of the majors. I don’t know why but other than about 15 NFL games each year, TV in general is something I watch less of each year. I have more free time than ever before being retired and my TV viewing has actually decreased. I’ve been spending the majority of my free time outdoors(golfing, boating, walking, cycling, paddling) and listening to music a lot more often when I’m home during the evenings.

Right there with you. I'll watch some Sunday action on occasion, but aside from the Open and the Masters I'll rarely make any effort to watch. It's all just a bit dull IMO, there's little variation from week to week.

I'd love to see them try something different to break up the schedule a bit, maybe different formats or shorter competitions.

I haven't watched golf on tv since.... man I don't even know probably since August maybe. I plan to try and watch some of the presidents cup though

I really don’t watch any golf until January because that is still the start of the season to me. I can’t get use to the whole fall season thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still watch golf on TV as much as I can. Grew up doing so with my Grandparents and it just kinda stuck.

I must be in the minority. If golf is on TV, I will watch it.

I'm with you. I don't watch as much televised TV as I used to. Pretty much the majors, maybe some of the Presidents and Ryder Cup, whatever events DirecTV is showing on multiple channels so I can just watch featured groups instead of the network coverage.

Not having Sky I watch very little golf unless it is on terrestrial TV, which isn't very likely these days, and to be honest I don't really miss watching it

I never have been much of a fan of watching golf on TV. Have always watched all of The Open, most of the US Open and Ryder Cup and some of the PGA and Masters. Other than that, very little. Have been watching more LPGA over the past 3 or 4 years. Watch more of that than the PGA Tour. My distances are much closer to theirs and find it more appealing to watch that than the men that I couldn't even dream to play like.

Oh, and the President's Cup never has interested me at all for some reason.

I love watching golf on TV. If I'm home doing something, I will put it on. However, I recently gave up my beloved YouTubeTV and now I'm without live TV and haven't been watching any golf. I miss it, but not as much as I thought I would. That will probably change around March.

I am a firm believer in that old saying that "golf should be played, not watched". I am speaking of televised golf. Watching televised golf is a type of boredom I can do with out.

Personally I like going to golf tournaments, and watching the pros play their shots. I do this whenever I can. Part of that is because I get to watch "pure golf" being played. Not "snipits" of golf shots, mixed in between commercials, and golf commentary.

No, I will devote time to watch 3 of the 4 majors that are televised. The rest of weekly tournaments, I don't care to watch. I never remember who won as it is, even in the majors I watch.

I watch all the time. Be it PGA, LPGA, Champions, European, Asian. If it's on I'll watch it mostly because there really isn't much on TV I care to watch.
Actually listening to the golf channel now about tomorrows picks.

Over the past years, my viewing of golf has decreased quite a bit. Now I only watch if my favourite players are in the lead or it is a major

I watch more golf than ever these days. Love when the Euro to it's on early mornings and the reruns during the evening.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I typically PVR the PGA on Thurs-Sunday and watch after each round but just jump over commercials and other BS. I’ll be on THP or reading at same time so typically catch 75% before I turn it off. I do typically though watch all of the final round on delay.

I used to watch more of the LPGA & Champions but have lost interest unless Canada’s Brook Henderson is in the running. I will turn on the European Tour and watch in the background, much prefer their announcers with dry humour and subtle jokes. I do keep the latest round on the PVR in case I get a case of insomnia as I can fall asleep in 5 minutes with it playing softly in background if I am laying on the couch. Works for me.

Football season kills my golf viewing, that said I found myself watching LPGA more than PGA. That said I’m a sucker for team golf so I’ll be glued to The Presidents Club.

I’m a newer golfer and I pretty much watch as much as I can. Mostly recorded episodes so I can fast forward through the commercials. I think I prefer the LPGA due to the fact that distances are more realistic to me.

I can't wait to watch the golf televised in Hawaii. My favorite golf watching all year, minus the Open.

It's funny...I've watched more TV golf this year than I can remember. Especially the early morning Euro coverage on Saturdays and Sundays.

I still watch a replay in the evening once in a while. Seriously my internet in a tournament wains when Tiger is playing. I like to watch all the leaders, not just one. But i miss the season ending in the fall most of all, and then the "silly season" started. Wendy's 3 tour challenge, the skills Challenge, Skins game....the games that were loose and free flowing and you could get to know the humorous side of the player mic'd up and sending the needle.

I hardly watch any golf now. The Masters and The Open along with the Ryder Cup are about it. Even when I watched a ton of golf, I never bothered with the Presidents Cup though. It’s a lame event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. The more golf the better, especially when you look out the window and see snow on the ground, and know you won't see the 60's for more than 4 months.

Back