Oban Hashimoto - Review Thread

I recently got fit for a new driver shaft and was fit for the hashimoto stiff on and M1 with "truspec golf", I tend to spin the ball a lot and hit down on it. The shaft produced good number with a medium ball flight. Have not pulled the trigger on it yet due to not knowing much about the shaft, but felt great to hit and like I said everything looked great on launch monitor and by the eye. Just wondering if anyone had any more info to add other than whats in this tread???

Thanks to rallo's generosity I now own one of these shafts. Thanks to afwcardinal's prior generosity, I have a 2014 Big Bertha head on loan that I can put on the shaft (that God too, how horrible would it have been to not be able to try this shaft immediately?).

First thoughts are wow, what a sharp looking shaft. I really like the black paint and scripting. It looks classy and artsy at the same time.

I'm not nearly sophisticated enough about shafts to talk about stuff like load. I just know that it felt good in hand. Reading the reviews, I expected the tip to be wiggly (non-technical term) in the hands when waggling. But it wasn't that way at all. It felt secure and solid, really nice.

I was definitely seeing more of the left side of the range than I'm accustomed to. I brought my normal gamer along and mixed in some swings with it to double check. Gamer was center / right side, Oban trended heavily toward center / left side. There's definitely variance in my swing but it was weird to perceive that a shaft change could make such a distinct difference in direction. It was also produced a pretty high flying ball. I adjusted the BB numerous times and settled on 9* at -1 / D and still saw a pretty high ball. Distances were in the same general vicinity as my gamer.

So in total, distance was solid for me, feel was good, I liked the looks of the shaft a lot and the right side of the fairway would have been virtually out of play. Not bad for a quick first outing to the range.

So my swing is getting back to someone normal and i just spent lunch hitting clubs from the top end of the bag. I threw the Hashimoto into my driver and im trying to commit to this shaft again because i love the feel, love the looks and love where it came from.

So my swing is getting back to someone normal and i just spent lunch hitting clubs from the top end of the bag. I threw the Hashimoto into my driver and im trying to commit to this shaft again because i love the feel, love the looks and love where it came from.

I'm not sure how aggressive you're downswing is, but I noticed I got more out of it with a smoother transition than a quicker/aggressive one. Not that it can't take or handle an aggressive down swing, but might be something to keep in mind.

Ok so pulled the trigger on the hashimoto and recieved it on thursday. I plugged it straight into my M1 and went out to the range ( I am an assistant superintendent at a golf course). Instantly it felt smooth, hard to explain not stiff or soft just smooth. My swing speed is around 100 and my transition is smooth and I am more of a tempo player so I'm not putting much force on the shaft at any point in the swing till impact but I must say I love this shaft. I had a kuro kage tini in it previously and hit it ok but spun way too much even though the flight was lower,then wouldn't release once on ground. Anyway felt great on the range then took out on course the next day and played 9 holes, gained 15 yards in the air and 15 more roll out compaired with last shaft.
I am going to hit some on track man once I have time,if I can I will try with old shaft also and post some numbers.
But for now I think this is the best shaft I have played in a driver that I can remember.
To the guys who aren't sure about this shaft I ask is it spined and flo to the setting you have it???

I gamed this shaft with a '14 Big Bertha drive set to +1/N today. I saw an unusual and pronounced miss left. The shaft felt great but that miss was terrible. I'm going back to my regular gamer while I work it out with this combo on the range. I'm also curious if things would be different head.

I gamed this shaft with a '14 Big Bertha drive set to +1/N today. I saw an unusual and pronounced miss left. The shaft felt great but that miss was terrible. I'm going back to my regular gamer while I work it out with this combo on the range. I'm also curious if things would be different head.

Frank

Mess around with the APW, it works once you find the right setting. Hope this helps

I got mine today. Took it to ther range. It seems really straight with a little kick. Hope to play the next 3 days and have a trackman session tomorrow night. Hopefully I will have a lot more information at the end of the weekend.

I got mine today. Took it to ther range. It seems really straight with a little kick. Hope to play the next 3 days and have a trackman session tomorrow night. Hopefully I will have a lot more information at the end of the weekend.

Do you have this shaft in a Callaway driver? I seem to be the only person with this shaft in a different head. I have fallen in love with it, I feel I can swing as hard as I want and it will perform just as smooth as when I'm just trying to find the fairway.

will be interested to see your numbers, I'm still trying to get on track an myself. Hopefully soon.

Do you have this shaft in a Callaway driver? I seem to be the only person with this shaft in a different head. I have fallen in love with it, I feel I can swing as hard as I want and it will perform just as smooth as when I'm just trying to find the fairway.

will be interested to see your numbers, I'm still trying to get on track an myself. Hopefully soon.
One of my HS golfers is playing this one in a PING adapter now, he's hitting it really well and raves about the feel through the zone. His ball flight has also come up about 2*.

I have mine in a ping g30 sf tech 10.0 playing at 11. I got rescheduled for my actual fitting. But since I drove all the way there he let me get on the trackman real fast and hit my combo. Think it was around 95mph swing speed up to 98. Launch was around 14*, Spin 2400, carry around 240. I'm just remembering this off the top of my head.

He said the numbers were great and would be tough to beat. Course I think I want a standard g 10.5 head now. Hit a few to far left on Sunday. I am going back in on Thursday for the fitting. And have league tomorrow night.

Thursday I will trying the king ltd, xr16, g, and m2. Can't wait to try the isawa,, oban purple, veylix, paderson in those heads.

I'd like to get this in a different driver head, maybe an XR16 or King LTD.

Ok so pulled the trigger on the hashimoto and recieved it on thursday. I plugged it straight into my M1 and went out to the range ( I am an assistant superintendent at a golf course). Instantly it felt smooth, hard to explain not stiff or soft just smooth. My swing speed is around 100 and my transition is smooth and I am more of a tempo player so I'm not putting much force on the shaft at any point in the swing till impact but I must say I love this shaft. I had a kuro kage tini in it previously and hit it ok but spun way too much even though the flight was lower,then wouldn't release once on ground. Anyway felt great on the range then took out on course the next day and played 9 holes, gained 15 yards in the air and 15 more roll out compaired with last shaft.
I am going to hit some on track man once I have time,if I can I will try with old shaft also and post some numbers.
But for now I think this is the best shaft I have played in a driver that I can remember.
To the guys who aren't sure about this shaft I ask is it spined and flo to the setting you have it???

From talking with my clubmaker, with today's quality graphite shafts, if you must spine and flo the shaft, he said "it's junk, just throw it away." Frank is a real diplomat. lol.

Last edited:
I'd like to get this in a different driver head, maybe an XR16 or King LTD.

If I get a lot better numbers with the king ltd or xr16, I will hvlave them put a new sleeve on it and put it and use that head. Problem is I won't be able to try it in those heads. I will have to use the isawa or oban purple.

From talking with my clubmaker, with today's quality graphite shafts, if you must spine and flo the shaft, he said "it's junk, just throw it away." Frank is a real diplomat. lol.

I know I'm not 100% sold on the whole puring of a shaft, but why take not take even the slightest variable out of the equation.
Still loving this shaft.

If I get a lot better numbers with the king ltd or xr16, I will hvlave them put a new sleeve on it and put it and use that head. Problem is I won't be able to try it in those heads. I will have to use the isawa or oban purple.

I tried this shaft in the M1 and the cobra Ltd, and it was very close but I tended to spin the ball just a bit more with the Ltd. But still a great combination.

I know I'm not 100% sold on the whole puring of a shaft, but why take not take even the slightest variable out of the equation.
Still loving this shaft.

Good point, and I once did that - about 5-10 years ago.

From talking with clubmakers, reading from guys who test graphite shafts, etc, most quality graphite has 98-99.5 radial consistency - and my guess is part of high quality is due to better manufacturing techniques, better design, higher quality materials, and adjustable clubs - the shafts must work in every position - but this last part is just my guess.

Good point, and I once did that - about 5-10 years ago.

From talking with clubmakers, reading from guys who test graphite shafts, etc, most quality graphite has 98-99.5 radial consistency - and my guess is part of high quality is due to better manufacturing techniques, better design, higher quality materials, and adjustable clubs - the shafts must work in every position - but this last part is just my guess.

I hope that is the case because the amount we pay for aftermarket shafts they should be of a high quality. What about steel shafts then, what is the word on them? What does your guy say about them? I have the new titliest CB with the DG AMT s300 do know if titleist or DG pure the shaft when produced. I ordered them direct from titleist after getting fit by them.
One thing I know is that I haven't hit the middle of a driver this much in a while. Shaft feels better everyday I use it.

I hope that is the case because the amount we pay for aftermarket shafts they should be of a high quality. What about steel shafts then, what is the word on them? What does your guy say about them? I have the new titliest CB with the DG AMT s300 do know if titleist or DG pure the shaft when produced. I ordered them direct from titleist after getting fit by them.
One thing I know is that I haven't hit the middle of a driver this much in a while. Shaft feels better everyday I use it.

Haven't dealt with steel in a while, getting older, but I would have someone look at them and see if the shafts by CPM are consistent within the iron set. If you have one or more irons that produce a great shot 9/10 X, then I'd say - "these irons produce my best shots, can you take a look at the shafts and tell me if you can find a reason. "

He might take apart a few that aren't working quite as well and see if the club work is up to excellence -- sometimes you find what you don't want to see.

Since golf is mostly psychological at a certain level, I'd probably take the clubs apart, see what's in the build, rebuild as needed, have them spine/flo or Pured so you can reach your comfort level. If you think it makes a difference, then it will make a difference. It's your game and your money - get comfortable with your clubs.

I gave this another go at the range last night. It feels good through the swing. Unfortunately, I'm not the only driver head I have for the Cally adaptor and that's affecting my ability to game this shaft. I'll be on the look out for something different to throw on the shaft do I can give it the fair shake it deserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a1ba5d018547a7911d7bdd3f68ae8d5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Going back through this thread and I LOVE this picture.

Anyone still gaming this? I'm gonna throw it in the Epic SZ the next time I'm at the range for comparison to the shaft I'm testing. This shaft is packed with awesome memories so I hope it works

This shaft is easy to launch, feels great, and just simply looks badass. It would look amazing in an Epic SZ.

Last edited:
Going back through this thread and I LOVE this picture.

Anyone still gaming this? I'm gonna throw it in the Epic SZ the next time I'm at the range for comparison to the shaft I'm testing. This shaft is packed with awesome memories so I hope it works
I've still got the hashimoto in play and still loving it. It really gives me everything I could want with my GBB.

I will have it in the bag when the new g400 comes out. Just got it sitting at home waiting to get fitted for one of the heads.

Back