Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So to be honest, my wife and I had some medical bills that insurance only partially covered. This would have been fine except I have my grad school bill for next semester coming due and I don't get reimbursed for the current semester until late December. Therefore, we were extremely tight on cash so I had to do something, so even if it was shortsighted, I'm selling my Alpha, Apex Pros and several of my extra putters.

Yes it sucks, but it was just something I had to do. The good news is that when I get my reimbursement, we'll be more than find and my wife (who really didn't want me to sell my golf equipment in the first place) said I could put a bag back together. I bought an extremely cheap x2hot pro driver head off ebay that I'll use for the foreseeable future, and I'm keeping the 5deep and x2hot pro hybrids. That will just leave me with an opening for irons.

She said she knows they were special to me because of how I got them so she wants my new irons to be special so when the time is right I can get fit for a new set.

I'm a good ball striker and got along great with my Apex Pros. However, we are hoping to start a family soon and I know my time for playing and practicing will significantly decrease and thus I could use some extra distance and forgiveness.

If I go for a fitting with the 545s in mind and the fitter recommends the 745s do I simply explain to him why I'd like a more forgiving club?

I'm leaning towards a 23* hybrid in place of the 20*. There is a noticeable gap at the top end of my bag between the 5i and 20*. (200 to 215-225)

Dropping down to the 23* would make better spacing between 5i, hybrid and 5W. Looking for a cheap option. CPO will hopefully deliver.
The 23 filled in perfectly after my 5 iron. I went 5, 23, 20. Have about a 20 yard gap between the 20 and 23

I love the Tour series shaft and have the 65 in my driver and the 80 in my fairway wood. I think the Tour 80 works best personally but your miles may vary.

Thanks for the input, fupresti. All the shafts have been getting great reviews, Jman liked both the 419f and the Tour 65 in the 3W in his THP writeup. I have a fairly low trajectory with my R5 Dual and I'm thinking I should stay with that and get the Tour 65. However, supposedly the 419f helps with a slightly straighter ballflight, which I could always use!

It's interesting to note that the Ping app changes just at my driver distance. I put it at 235 and it put be into the 419 in driver and fairway; if I drop it one tick to 225 yards it puts me into the 419.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your situation Joe. I know if was tough to part with those clubs in light of how you obtained them.

Moving forward, I'd look at something more forgiving. I know you can play the player's/pro version of pretty much everything. I have found, though, that playing the GI irons makes the game incredibly easier and more fun.

It's a heck of a lot more fun to know that you'll be somewhere near where you want to be on/around the green even if you're not hitting everything flush.

The 545s felt fantastic, btw.

Sorry to hear about your situation Joe. I know if was tough to part with those clubs in light of how you obtained them.

Moving forward, I'd look at something more forgiving. I know you can play the player's/pro version of pretty much everything. I have found, though, that playing the GI irons makes the game incredibly easier and more fun.

It's a heck of a lot more fun to know that you'll be somewhere near where you want to be on/around the green even if you're not hitting everything flush.

The 545s felt fantastic, btw.
Appreciate it buddy. Do you think when I go to the fitter I should be open with him up front that I want something more forgiving? He emailed me today that he should have the Srixon components in around mid November.

So to be honest, my wife and I had some medical bills that insurance only partially covered. This would have been fine except I have my grad school bill for next semester coming due and I don't get reimbursed for the current semester until late December. Therefore, we were extremely tight on cash so I had to do something, so even if it was shortsighted, I'm selling my Alpha, Apex Pros and several of my extra putters.

Yes it sucks, but it was just something I had to do. The good news is that when I get my reimbursement, we'll be more than find and my wife (who really didn't want me to sell my golf equipment in the first place) said I could put a bag back together. I bought an extremely cheap x2hot pro driver head off ebay that I'll use for the foreseeable future, and I'm keeping the 5deep and x2hot pro hybrids. That will just leave me with an opening for irons.

She said she knows they were special to me because of how I got them so she wants my new irons to be special so when the time is right I can get fit for a new set.

I'm a good ball striker and got along great with my Apex Pros. However, we are hoping to start a family soon and I know my time for playing and practicing will significantly decrease and thus I could use some extra distance and forgiveness.

If I go for a fitting with the 545s in mind and the fitter recommends the 745s do I simply explain to him why I'd like a more forgiving club?

Sorry to hear this, Joe. These situations are never fun.

If you need irons to play with, I have a set of Diablo Forgeds with KBS 90 stiff. Just let me know.

I just received and amazing offer from a Thper I've never met to let me borrow his spare set of irons until I was able to buy some. Absolutely incredible gesture but I told him it wasn't necessary.

I know I kind of overshared in here but it was mainly so people weren't wondering why I was looking to replace my Apex Pros and Alpha.

THP is an amazing place

GregDan I have a whiteboard 72g
I might have to swing it again. I was never a huge whiteboard fan but that was a while ago. I much prefer the 50-60g weights in my driver but I wouldn't mind giving it a go again.

Lol. Ok then.

Lol too funny. Thanks Chris. I might take you up on that offer if I'm able to play when you and skibum are playing around Thanksgiving

Ok cool. Just let me know buddy and hope all is well.

ATLGolfer said what I wanted to say in here. I know that you have your eyes on the 545 irons that are coming out soon, but I'll put one more idea in your head: I bet that within the next few months, the prices on the Apex irons will drop a good bit, especially on Callaway Preowned. Unless you don't like the look of those irons, you could easily transition into those irons and not miss a beat. I went from the Bridgestone J40 DPC irons to the Apex irons, and I'm enjoying the extra distance and forgiveness.

ATLGolfer said what I wanted to say in here. I know that you have your eyes on the 545 irons that are coming out soon, but I'll put one more idea in your head: I bet that within the next few months, the prices on the Apex irons will drop a good bit, especially on Callaway Preowned. Unless you don't like the look of those irons, you could easily transition into those irons and not miss a beat. I went from the Bridgestone J40 DPC irons to the Apex irons, and I'm enjoying the extra distance and forgiveness.
Oh absolutely dude. I'll definitely hit both. Heck, I might even wait until early 2015 to see what Bridgestone has up their sleeve

I might have to swing it again. I was never a huge whiteboard fan but that was a while ago. I much prefer the 50-60g weights in my driver but I wouldn't mind giving it a go again.

If you have a tip for it I'll send it up to you I pulled the 910 adapter and put it on my current shaft

Shaft guy, err...Jason, is the whiteboard somewhere in between the black tie and tour green? Spin/launch wise?

I'm no shaft guru I don't know honestly I know it's supposed to be a low low (high kick point) shaft- tip stiff and butt firm

Shaft guy, err...Jason, is the whiteboard somewhere in between the black tie and tour green? Spin/launch wise?
Not a shaft head, but would definitely put it somewhere in the middle, likely closer to the Tour Green

Thanks guys. It's also on "the list"

If you have a tip for it I'll send it up to you I pulled the 910 adapter and put it on my current shaft

Not sure if I do. I'll take a look and maybe you can just hand it off when we get one last round in this year. ; )

If GregDan isn't interested I'll ship it your way bud

Send it his way. I have no qualms about that. It's no biggie, might just find something on the fleabay.

Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Jason I appreciate it but I don't have a tip for it and winter is sitting in. Gregdangregman enjoy

Plus I gotta get a Bertha from CPO as well.

Currently looking at low launch, low spin shafts for the Alpha, in particular a black tie. I won't be playing until next year (at least outside). Was looking to pair it with the 815 potentially but Callaway doesn't offer the 6m3 in xstiff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back