Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Dodgers have supposedly reached an agreement with Juan Uribe for 3 years. Im not really digging it too much.

LA-area buffets rejoice!
The Dodgers have supposedly reached an agreement with Juan Uribe for 3 years. Im not really digging it too much.

LA-area buffets rejoice!

Good thing Andruw Jones isnt on the team anymore because between Uribe, Broxton and Jones they could bankrupt the local Hometown buffet.

The Rockies are on the verge of giving Tulowitzki a 10 year extension somewhere in the 9 figures.

134 mil 7 year extension, thats one long contract lol. So Victor to the Tigers, the Tigers are looking like the old Ranger Teams, all O, no D. Their Starting pitching is a little better.....well... they have Verlander lol.

I heard that Ron Santo passed away today. He was one of the true characters of the game and will be missed. I always enjoyed listening to him and Pat doing the Friday afternoon games. RIP, its too bad he never made it to see himself get elected into the Hall.

I heard that Ron Santo passed away today. He was one of the true characters of the game and will be missed. I always enjoyed listening to him and Pat doing the Friday afternoon games. RIP, its too bad he never made it to see himself get elected into the Hall.

great character for the game. Over 2200 hits and 300 home runs, i think 5 gold gloves, he was a heck of a player too. He could be a little much on the radio to an outsider, but I enjoyed hearing his calls.

Man, there was a lot of action today. I cant believe the Sox got Gonzalez from the Padres without giving up a Lester, Bucholz, Bard or even Ellsbury. Either way, the East is going to love this guy. He really is something.

I like the Cardinals picking up Berkman too. The only problem I see with this is that Holliday is going to move to right which might get ugly.

Man, there was a lot of action today. I cant believe the Sox got Gonzalez from the Padres without giving up a Lester, Bucholz, Bard or even Ellsbury. Either way, the East is going to love this guy. He really is something.

I like the Cardinals picking up Berkman too. The only problem I see with this is that Holliday is going to move to right which might get ugly.

I don't understand Berkman to the Cards. From the little that I saw with him in NY, he has very little mobility. I'm kind of surprised he didn't go to a team that he can play 1st with.

I don't understand Berkman to the Cards. From the little that I saw with him in NY, he has very little mobility. I'm kind of surprised he didn't go to a team that he can play 1st with.

He is not the same Berkman from 10 years ago who could play centerfield. Its kind of a head scratcher, I thought he would end up in the AL.

He is not the same Berkman from 10 years ago who could play centerfield. Its kind of a head scratcher, I thought he would end up in the AL.

My thougts exactly. I would have thought he would have ended up in some place like Baltimore or Minnesota. The twins might have made sense, he could DH and play 1st and spot time on the OF. And then when Morneau gets injured and misses an extended ammount of time like he seems to do every year now, he could be full time 1st.

Im hearing the deal is falling apart for Gonzalez because they couldnt lock up an extension.

Werth to the Nats. 7 years 126 million. Holy crap.

Really was shocked by this one. More so because Boras clients almost NEVER sign before xmas. That says to me Boras said 'here, sign this before the pull the deal off the table!'
Werth to the Nats. 7 years 126 million. Holy crap.

Really was shocked by this one. More so because Boras clients almost NEVER sign before xmas. That says to me Boras said 'here, sign this before the pull the deal off the table!'

yup. For the last few years the Nationals have been rumored to a lot of big price players. Glad to see they got one, would be nice to see a good team get built there. They were rumored to be in the Manny hunt 2 years ago, wonder if they will be again. They are kind of lying in the weeds on Lee too, but I don't think that will happen.

So is Jeter in for a 3 year deal now, or they still going back and forth over it?

Rangers met with Lee again the other day, hoping he said "yes I want to be a Ranger and not a Yankee" lol

So is Jeter in for a 3 year deal now, or they still going back and forth over it?

Rangers met with Lee again the other day, hoping he said "yes I want to be a Ranger and not a Yankee" lol

Jeter has a 3-4 year deal. The 4th year is an option that kicks in throughout the 3 years. 3 years for 51, 4 for 56 counting the option.

Not going to say I don't want Lee on my team, but I won't be heart broken if he signs elsewhere. As long as its not with the Red Sox haha

I have never really paid much attention to the $$$ aspect of the game, usually just the on the field games and stuff like that. But how do the Yankees have so much more money than everyone else. How are they able to afford to have all those players that are getting 14+ mill a year on there team? Does it come in from world series, playoffs, owner or what? Just curious on how all that worked, dont know much about the money aspect other than that guy signed a 7 year 150+ mill contract or something like that.

edit: Just so were clear not trying to start the Yankee argument again, really am wondering how it works

I have never really paid much attention to the $$$ aspect of the game, usually just the on the field games and stuff like that. But how do the Yankees have so much more money than everyone else. How are they able to afford to have all those players that are getting 14+ mill a year on there team? Does it come in from world series, playoffs, owner or what? Just curious on how all that worked, dont know much about the money aspect other than that guy signed a 7 year 150+ mill contract or something like that.

The biggest reason is the YES Network. Owning and operating their own network brings it a TON of revenue that they do not need to share with anybody else. There are other reasons too, but that is the number 1 difference. The owner money, the revenue from the new stadium there are many other things that contribute, but the YES network is their goldmine right now.

like no salary cap
The biggest reason is the YES Network. Owning and operating their own network brings it a TON of revenue that they do not need to share with anybody else. There are other reasons too, but that is the number 1 difference. The owner money, the revenue from the new stadium there are many other things that contribute, but the YES network is their goldmine right now.

like no salary cap

Yes and no. No Salary Cap means they can spend whatever they want. Going in to this season they have paid about 175 million in luxury taxes that go to other teams. That money is supposed to be used on payroll, but is not regulated. MLB was investigating that in the beginning of the year. They found there were teams that were paying off parts of the stadiums and sitting on the money instead of using it the way it's intended.

If you are interested in Baseball economic policy there is a real good book out there called May the Best Team Win. It is a very interesting read on the economics of the game.

Yes and no. No Salary Cap means they can spend whatever they want. Going in to this season they have paid about 175 million in luxury taxes that go to other teams. That money is supposed to be used on payroll, but is not regulated. MLB was investigating that in the beginning of the year. They found there were teams that were paying off parts of the stadiums and sitting on the money instead of using it the way it's intended.

If you are interested in Baseball economic policy there is a real good book out there called May the Best Team Win. It is a very interesting read on the economics of the game.

Might just have to buy it. 8 bucks on ebay right now.

That money is supposed to be used on payroll, but is not regulated. MLB was investigating that in the beginning of the year. They found there were teams that were paying off parts of the stadiums and sitting on the money instead of using it the way it's intended.

The way they get out of it is claiming they re invested it in player development. There is no way to track it. What they need to do is force teams accepting revenue sharing to add that amount to their payroll. It really seems like the only fair way.

Heard talks that Rangers are trying to get Greinke to. Would be awesome to get both Lee and Greinke!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back