Official Rant of the Day

heard something from my mom who is a teacher locally that made me sick:

One of her students was attacked at lunch by another student after her student tagged the other student "out" in a game of dodgeball. The kid literally got tagged out, walked away from the game, grabbed a metal bat from one of the teachers PE closets then returned and proceeded to take BP on my mom's student's head. Once the kid was on the ground, the attacking kid decided to take a few swings at the adult that tried to break up the beating. 5-7 minutes later, with the attacker wondering around still swinging the bat, the "trained" staff showed up to smoother the kid basically and haul him off to the nurses office to try and calm him down. But of course, you know that's where they're treating my mom's student for the head injury and all sh!t breaks out in there because the attacker isn't being restricted and is free to stand or sit or in this case, basically remodel the nurses office by throwing everything and anything he can get his hands on until they smoother him again and finally restrain his arms. That was thursday. After a quick 3 day suspension with no other punishment pending, the kid returns to school and promptly searches out and continues the beating of my mom's student at first chance. Puts him in a headlock and begins twisting his head sideways in a snapping motion. Another 3 day suspension and that's it...Gotta love elementary school policys. :at-wits-end::at-wits-end:
Around here. when that happens, the attacker gets arrested for further legal actions.

Yes, I said 'when that happens"......

Even when I worked for the genuine bonkers that was GE, all our goals flowed down from the top, which was essentially make more money for the shareholders (I'm paraphrasing but you get my drift)
Mine cascade from the top as well. However each of those has a multi prong approach that I have to break out to my individual leaders for their area of responsibility. It's not quite as cumbersome as it sounds- however my biggest complaint about it all is just the mere fact that I just entered something, then get a notification that I just entered something.

Mine cascade from the top as well. However each of those has a multi prong approach that I have to break out to my individual leaders for their area of responsibility. It's not quite as cumbersome as it sounds- however my biggest complaint about it all is just the mere fact that I just entered something, then get a notification that I just entered something.
Death by notification, you'd be very familiar with that this week right? 😉🤣

Of the two, I'll definitely take the notifications here over my outlook inbox :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Yes GIF by Your Happy Workplace

Last week, a man asks his wife, what are the family plans after church on Easter? She replies I don't know, nothing's been planned. He says I've got a tee time for noon Saturday, I'll play then and see what happens for Sunday. Earlier this week, him - anything new on Easter plans? Her - nope. This morning, him - anything on for Sunday? Her - daughter and future S-I-L are going to lunch we can join them if we want to and Mom and Dad are doing a casual thing at Saturday afternoon becasue she waited too late to get in anywhere Sunday but you don't have to go . . . (heavy silence). Him - what time Saturday? Her - 12 or so. Him (she's in the other room)

Us Open No GIF by ATP Tour

Is it the type of call you can mute and ignore? Or is Greg having to pay attention?
Some of them are broad scoped enough, I can try to get some work done, but sometimes they try to drag me in and surprise me, so I gotta stay on my toes.

View attachment 9252382

This is an 8am meeting to discuss our 8:30-10:30 meeting.

I don't know if I'm gonna be able to keep it bottled up today...
Got to love corporate America where you need to have pre-meetings to discuss the meeting you are going to have.

Why would you have a check box to opt out of an email mailing list but have it asterisked so that if you want to continue you have to select it? That's not an opt out, that's forcing you to have more spam.

That is terrible to hear.

Do you have thoughts about next steps? I've offered (and been taken up by some) to help with a resume update if you're at a place where you are trying to get another position. Not something that needs to be immediate, just know that there's a lot of support here for you if you need it.
@Daluteh that is really nice of you to offer help. I am working with a career transition coach, she is going to write a professional resume and cover letter for me. The grim reality is being 62 years old the chances of me landing a comparable position with a remotely close salary is very slim. A friend of mine who is the same age took a buy out a five or six years ago from his company. At the time he thought he would land a job in a couple of months. He was on the hunt well over a year before he got a job. He did have a couple of offers in that time for half of what he was making doing comparable work. A former manager who had moved to another company heard Jim was out looking and ended up hiring him. One of his observations during his search was that he was being interviewed by his kids. He as a daughter who is in a HR role. So the good news is that my financial planner told me I could quit work 3 years ago, live the lifestyle I do today and have no worries till 90. I wasn't ready to quit then but will admit the thought has occupied quite a bit of thought over the last year. At the moment the plan will is to look, send resumes and collect unemployment benefits.

Thank you again for a very kind offer, it is much appreciated.

@Daluteh that is really nice of you to offer help. I am working with a career transition coach, she is going to write a professional resume and cover letter for me. The grim reality is being 62 years old the chances of me landing a comparable position with a remotely close salary is very slim. A friend of mine who is the same age took a buy out a five or six years ago from his company. At the time he thought he would land a job in a couple of months. He was on the hunt well over a year before he got a job. He did have a couple of offers in that time for half of what he was making doing comparable work. A former manager who had moved to another company heard Jim was out looking and ended up hiring him. One of his observations during his search was that he was being interviewed by his kids. He as a daughter who is in a HR role. So the good news is that my financial planner told me I could quit work 3 years ago, live the lifestyle I do today and have no worries till 90. I wasn't ready to quit then but will admit the thought has occupied quite a bit of thought over the last year. At the moment the plan will is to look, send resumes and collect unemployment benefits.

Thank you again for a very kind offer, it is much appreciated.
I'm glad you have someone on your side helping you. I've been doing HR stuff, whether corporate or consulting for almost 20 years myself, and I understand that it can be an island if you don't have a place to turn for support and assistance.

Best of luck to you, we're still here if you need anything or a second set of eyes.

Last week, a man asks his wife, what are the family plans after church on Easter? She replies I don't know, nothing's been planned. He says I've got a tee time for noon Saturday, I'll play then and see what happens for Sunday. Earlier this week, him - anything new on Easter plans? Her - nope. This morning, him - anything on for Sunday? Her - daughter and future S-I-L are going to lunch we can join them if we want to and Mom and Dad are doing a casual thing at Saturday afternoon becasue she waited too late to get in anywhere Sunday but you don't have to go . . . (heavy silence). Him - what time Saturday? Her - 12 or so. Him (she's in the other room)

Us Open No GIF by ATP Tour
Are you that man?

Hah

I guess North Carolina is officially full!!! We drove 4 hours to take the children to the NC Zoo and when we got there, all the parking lots were full and closed!😳 For reference, the NC Zoo is the biggest natural habitat zoo in the world!!! WTF!!! So, we pivot and drive 45 minutes North to Greensboro to take the children to the Greensboro Science Center. Guess what, their parking lot was slammed packed. People were parked in between the rows, on the grass, etc. And when we got to the hotel, the lobby was overflowing! Please go home! NC is officially closed! 🤬

OMG my mom just drives me insane. And her husband is sitting next to me humming all day long.
Shoot Me!

I'm back in Ohio.

I just spent 30 min providing additional “backup” for a $10.88 coffee at the Starbucks in the airport. WTF!!!!! Your concern over $10.88 is significantly less than my $220/hr billable rate.

Have some common sense!

I just spent 30 min providing additional “backup” for a $10.88 coffee at the Starbucks in the airport. WTF!!!!! Your concern over $10.88 is significantly less than my $220/hr billable rate.

Have some common sense!
People from finance don't care.

I know you know, I know we all know but they simply are following their flow chart. A multi-billion dollar company ruined it for me as well over some 12 dollar book that "we had to buy". For the past 3 years everything gets expensed, nothing is bought and submitted for reimbursement.

Also, you don't bill your company (right?) and not all hours are billable.

Have some common sense!
I am not looking forward to my monthly explanation of my credit card expenses on Thursday...

This 11-12:30 meeting on my calendar better be an April Fool's joke...

Also, you don't bill your company (right?) and not all hours are billable.
The issue is that my billable target is 2000+ hours per year and I’m already allocated. Technically, I am forecasted to bill 102 hours this week if I cpuld do all the work assigned to me. So, for the 30 min I have to spend justifying a dumb ass $10 expanse, it’s 30 less minutes I can bill. I’m already 100+% billable so any “overhead” eats into my ability to physically bill more.

Hope that makes sense.

The issue is that my billable target is 2000+ hours per year and I’m already allocated. Technically, I am forecasted to bill 102 hours this week if I cpuld do all the work assigned to me. So, for the 30 min I have to spend justifying a dumb ass $10 expanse, it’s 30 less minutes I can bill. I’m already 100+% billable so any “overhead” eats into my ability to physically bill more.

Hope that makes sense.
It does, stepping over dollars to make dimes. Still every finance department.

I am not looking forward to my monthly explanation of my credit card expenses on Thursday...
My billable hours alone bring in nearly $500k in revenue and I am good for several million more due to business development and my team. But let’s get hung up on a $10 Starbucks coffee because the receipt was missing the date.

When you are flying and get a text from a teen the house has a water leak, but cannot connect with anyone to resolve it. Good times

Back