On course snacks - Diabetic

Ryan555

Reaction score
Handicap
I have recently been diagnosed as Diabetic, type 2. I have not been placed on insulin and am just trying to control it with diet and exercise. What I'm wanting to get some ideas on are on course snacks to help keep my BS up while I'm playing. I have discovered that activity does cause my suger levels to drop, but, since I'm not metering yet, I'm not quite sure how low they go. Tomorrow is my first round of the year and first since I was diagnosed and am looking for some things to take with me so that I can keep my energy up. Preferable something I can find at local supermarkets/wholesale stores that aren't terribly expensive, or something I can throw together in the morning. Thanks!

My uncle has diabetes and activities cause his blood sugar to drop as well. He generally takes a powerade or gatorade with him to give a quick recharge of energy. He also eats oranges while he plays.

Fresh fruit, oranges, pears, nuts like cashews, best bet though is to ask your Doctor. Diabetes is not something you want to mess around with

I have recently been diagnosed as Diabetic, type 2. I have not been placed on insulin and am just trying to control it with diet and exercise. What I'm wanting to get some ideas on are on course snacks to help keep my BS up while I'm playing. I have discovered that activity does cause my suger levels to drop, but, since I'm not metering yet, I'm not quite sure how low they go. Tomorrow is my first round of the year and first since I was diagnosed and am looking for some things to take with me so that I can keep my energy up. Preferable something I can find at local supermarkets/wholesale stores that aren't terribly expensive, or something I can throw together in the morning. Thanks!

I am a diabetic Type 1 for over 35 years. I am not trying to scare you, but I have had some low sugars on the golf course in my life. It's hard, because you have the exercise factor, the length of time, and then the "stress" / competition factor that can throw off your sugar. Going High in sugar is sometimes worse than going relatively low. You lose muscle coordination in my mind when my sugars get out of whack.

With that said, I prefer not to drink high sugar drinks like Gatorade. I eat nutrition bars like Kashi's TLC and Peanut bars that I like that have about 20 carbs in them, but provide longer term sugars than short fast acting sugars. I eat every 6 holes and I may eat a banana during the round if I feel I need something extra. You could substitute your favorites.

I find taking a cart helps remove a big chunk of the going low factor, but I really prefer the walking, so it's a decision I have to live with and prepare for.

My advice is to find what works for you. Try to keep your sugars steady. Eat before your body tells you to (it becomes too late if you eat when you start feeling low). It takes time for the sugars to really get going. I find every 6 holes is good for me, it may be different for a type 2 like yourself.

I am a diabetic Type 1 for over 35 years. I am not trying to scare you, but I have had some low sugars on the golf course in my life. It's hard, because you have the exercise factor, the length of time, and then the "stress" / competition factor that can throw off your sugar. Going High in sugar is sometimes worse than going relatively low. You lose muscle coordination in my mind when my sugars get out of whack.

With that said, I prefer not to drink high sugar drinks like Gatorade. I eat nutrition bars like Kashi's TLC and Peanut bars that I like that have about 20 carbs in them, but provide longer term sugars than short fast acting sugars. I eat every 6 holes and I may eat a banana during the round if I feel I need something extra. You could substitute your favorites.

I find taking a cart helps remove a big chunk of the going low factor, but I really prefer the walking, so it's a decision I have to live with and prepare for.

My advice is to find what works for you. Try to keep your sugars steady. Eat before your body tells you to (it becomes too late if you eat when you start feeling low). It takes time for the sugars to really get going. I find every 6 holes is good for me, it may be different for a type 2 like yourself.

Thanks! The Dr is saying I"m a type 2, but he's concerned that my body is stopping the prodution of insulin. I was thinkign not using Gatorade but water the entire round. Was planning on having a nice breakfast, and taking a peanut butter sandwhich and maybe an apple or something like that. I will definitely look into the Kashi bars, as I know I can find them pretty easy. I am riding for the first few rounds until I get a chance to get into the endocrinologist to discuss it further. But, I do plan on giving my push cart a workout this year once I've figured out how things will work for me.

I'm also diabetic. I take a banana with me everytime I head out to play. I also carry super small 8oz. cans of orange juice in my bag. I try to keep 2 or 3 in there at all times. I also like FRS health drinks http://www.frs.com/ I buy the concentrate and mix it in bottled water, which I then freeze. They stay cool a lot longer in my bag that way. I also like the chews. Little pricy but good products.
Best to avoid things like soda with sugar and candy bars unless your in a pinch. I walk 99 percent of the time when I play, and in the heat of the summer I have to make sure I have one of the things listed above as my blood sugar has been known to go low with the heat and walking. Not something to mess around with.

I am a Type 1, with a pump and glucose sensor (gadgets and tools are not resticted to golf!).

As far as sugar on the course in case of going low I have found the following to be helpful
- Prevention:
I throw 2 Clif bars in the bag for energy / hunger as well as countering the diabetic nature of going low. I may eat it at the halfway point and sometimes I eat it 6 and 12. I also tone the basal delivery on my pump way down (off) during the golf, essentially removing the insulin component of the sugar equation completely. Think of it as the golf and activity keeping the blood sugar in control.

I also sip on a Gatorade at the start, just to counter the activity. It is not a huge source of sugar so I think of it as building up a base for the activity to work against.

- Treatment:
The easiest thing is to throw a Sprite in the bag (from home, pro shop, bev cart) because it is 100% sugar and will act quickly

- Backup Treatment:
A drink is the best but not always done in advance.

I have found the goo-packets from REI or an outdoors store that are gross but offer 25g of carbs to be a great thing to always have in the bag because it will not spoil, go bad, etc.

The one thing I have seen is that the golf, especially when I walk, has an extended lowering effect on the sugar for 1-4 hours after. So you should check before you drive home as well as taper off the insulin after if you can. Always the right answer, but not one that I always do (but should).

My girlfriend is a registered dietician and a certified nutritionist. She said a small banana or anything with around 30 grams of carbohydrates should help you. Good luck.

Thank you for all of the suggestions! Like I said, I'm newly diagnosed and haven't been placed on a monitor yet, so I'm just kind of feeling it out based ont he way my body reacts to different things. I was able to keep it together pretty well today. Ironically, the only time I started feeling low was right after my range session beforehand. I ate a Kashi peanut bar on the first hole, and by the time I was to my 2nd shot on 2, I was good. I then kept it together with some pistachios and peanuts along with a granola bar. The fruit idea is really good and I was intending to take an apple with me, but got rushed out trying to get the kids ready to cart off ot grandma's so i could go out. Guess next time I will have to prep the night before. I've read several other places about bananas, except that I hate fruit pretty much and am not a big vegetable guy either, so adjusting my diet to begin with has been difficult, and now, throwing in the fact that I can get out on the course, it's making choices even more difficult.

Sounds like you have a plan. The big thing is to just not get caught out on the course, in the heat while walking with nothing if you go low. That is the only reason I carry the small cans of orange juice buried in my bag. They last a long time and they are only there for an emergency. I think I had to drink 2 over the course of last season, but when I needed something, I was glad they were in there.
In a pinch most anything will do, I just don't like doing it with something I wouldn't normally eat like a candy bar or regular pop. Main thing is to eat a little something on the first tee if you are walking. I think it helps.

Thanks. I plan on trying to find some of thos elittle cans to throw in there and laeve them. The hardest part of that is that I used to drink OJ all the time, and kept it in the house constantly. It may be too much temptation if I know they are there. Also, Mt Dew was a staple at some point during the round, usually on the turn, for a quick jolt of sugar while whatever I ate took it's time to get into my system. I do plan on walking as much as possible this summer to get the more exercise, and because I enjoy it more than riding. Guess I may have to stock up on stuff I find that works for me.

I'm also type 2 Diabetic for over 7 years already and on a normal round of golf, I usually carry some fruits with me (banana usually as it's easier to eat and gives me the energy I need) but at the same time I usually also carry some M&M chocolates and pop 1 or 2 (when needed) should the sugar level goes low - like taking pills.

I'm a type 2 diebetic just diagnosed last summer. In addition to watching what I eat, I take a banana or two when I play. I also have Glucose Tablets (available at everywhere) that I have EVERYWHERE. At least two in my golf bag, 2-3 in my car, 2-3 in my briefcase for work, 5-6 at home, and at least 1-2 on me. If I feel a little light-headed or start to sweat and feel weak, I'll pop 2-4 tablets to get my blood sugar up. I have learned to NOT miss meals and to have a mid-afternoon snack.

Back