One Good Thing (Golf Edition)

OGT from my latest, and a really good, round was stickign with smart course management. Missing in the right way, laying up instead of trying to reach out with a perfect strike, not playing Driver every hole, etc.

So my last non-league round, I signed up for a quick 18 at 8 AM. I was paired up with 3 other randoms to play with. Turns out all 3 are members at the club I was playing at and play a regular round at 8 AM every Sat and Sun together. I ended up shooting 80. They shot 76, 79, 81. Had a great time and they invited me back to play any time at their regular time. They always play with 3 but would be happy to have me join them for another round.

Making new friends and new invites makes it a good day.

Last round I was paired with a random and he turned out to be a real solid guy and golfer. I learned a few things watching him play, and he told me about one of the local tours he played a bunch on, so I have something new to try out once it restarts. Getting paired with people can be hit and miss, but this was definitely fun.

Played today with two friends from middle school and each one of us had a chip out during the round.

Chipped in birdie!

My last round was just an easy going round of golf. A few good ball strikes, with a lot "just ok" ball striking. Even made a few decent putts. Scored better than my personal par.

Just had a good time hitting the ball, finding it, and hitting it again. Can't ask for much more than that.

I was paired up with a new person for my round yesterday. After a few holes, he asked me for some tips because he said my swing “looked really good”. No one has ever said that before, and it was really great to hear since I have been working so hard at it. It’s not a work of art, but it’s awesome that I am making progress.

Calling @Molten... I would call an ace a pretty good thing.

I wasn’t playing great yesterday. As I posted in another thread, I got paired with a father/son and the boy should in no way have been on the course yet. It was extremely frustrating. However, I stayed upbeat on the outside and tried to encourage the boy (the dad was clueless about helping his son).

I would consider that one good thing.

Yesterday I was practicing essentially chip shots with my 9i on a small chipping/driving matt in my backyard. I'd get the occasional one right, but most of them I either skulled the ball or shanked it. Was not having a good practice session. Then I finally said to myself "Self, stop trying to concentrate on every little thing, relax, and just hit the #$%!! ball." So I did. Hit five in a row perfectly.

Called it a day :)

Calling @Molten... I would call an ace a pretty good thing.
Absolutely, the ace was the highlight (But pure luck) but I’d like to say the one good thing was my putting practice paid off. No three putts and I rolled in three birdies. That’s really what I’m paying more attention to.

One good thing is that I’m keeping every shot in play. I have played my last 41 holes with the same ball.

I helped my cousin hit the first non-superslice of his life, and by the end of the round he even drew a few. He’s a beginner and doing good to score 130 but he plays fast and has a lot of fun. He doesn’t get hung up on bad shots, because what the difference between 130-131?

Anyways after playing a couple rounds with him, and watching him set up literally 45* left of the target line and usually still ending up right, I asked if he wanted some help. He said hell yes!

I spent a year as an asst club pro, so I do have some lesson experience. Had him set up straight (had to use a club, he was so far left aiming he just couldn’t comprehend straight to target line) and move a foot closer to the ball. This eliminated his hunched over reaching for the ball swing. Changed up grip some and had him put the ball just inside of his front foot (instead of a foot or more in front of it. He whiffed a couple times (he usually does anyways) but by the end of the round he was hitting a few straight and he hit by FAR the longest drive of his life.

That was neat to see because he had the ugliest setup and swing you’d likely ever see. 15 minutes and he has a better foundation. I took videos of before and after and showed him to him. He couldn’t believe how far left he was aiming.

In THP fashion there was no one behind us except one single who was just hopping around anyways, we waved him through. Would have never done it if we were holding someone up.

My swing went away early during my last round, so I reverted to my old swing consisting of choked down 1" slightly hooded draws with my irons. I controlled them very well considering that I haven't practiced them at all. There is nothing in the game as fun for me as seeing my low wedge take two hops and lock up tight on the green.

My Blitz foursome hooligans were laughing the whole time, and hollering that I should just play that way as normal again. I am tempted to do so, but I am 62 now and it will only be a matter of time before I lose the power and agility to keep up a swing like that.

Just got to spend 4 hours with a good friend last time I played.

Warming up yesterday my buddy made a comment about my swing. My transition had gotten rushed. I took it to heart and made a swing change right there and brought it to the course. It worked with a couple of setbacks. I had 4 atrocious shots where I got stuck between what i was doing previously and what I wanted to do. Outside of those penalty-causing shots, I hit the ball beautifully. 3 birdies and came very close to making 2 more. 8 pars. This was on one of the more challenging and long courses in the state.

I also have a new putter that I chose with my hands. Nothing about it is what I would have imagined picking. Mid-mallet, lots of toe hang. I had 32 putts in my round. 6 1-putts. That includes 2 3-putts that were due to an adjustment to very fast greens coming from slow greens. I made what I believe was a good equipment decision for me, and it has the potential to open up my putting to new levels.

I didn't die today. Does that count?

Had an uneven round today, but turned in a good back 9. But my OGT today was on hole 16 at Miami Shores, a par 3 with an elevated green that I lasered at 197. Pace was a bit slow today, so by the time I got to the box the foursome behind us was waiting to pull up to the box. I flushed my Forged Tec 5i and it started tracking. My group was starting to cheer the ball on, while I just watched and hoped it was enough club. Ball hit the green and hopped once, stopping 3 feet from the cup.

Group behind us starts clapping, there was a whistle in there, and a “great shot” yell. I looked back and gave a hat tip and a thumbs up. Really made me feel like I was on a mini-tour with a gallery. It was awesome. I proceeded to make the putt and carded my second birdie on the back 9. Just awesome.

My one good thing that happened today was a 246 yard 3 wood shot after drive on a par 5 and hitting the green. Had eagle chance and walked away with birdie. :cool:👊

Helped my buddy cure his case of the s*****

Dropped three long putts yesterday. All I could do was laugh. Definitely my two longest of the year and possibly my three longest. It was just one of those days.

Yesterday, videoing myself, I discovered my address was all wrong. Watching the Orange Whip instructional video last night, I realized what was the next major flaw in my swing. Was just out practicing with the OW a few minutes ago and experienced an "Ah HAH!" moment. So, one good thing each of the last two days. There may be hope for me, yet
lol.gif

I didn’t have my A game today but the one good thing is that I didn’t lose any golf balls and was able to grind out a decent score. Good drives and decent work around the green did the trick in an interesting round - 71% FIR, 39% GIR :oops:.

Back