Online golf instruction

Pops

Formerly Bbutler
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Posted about my buddies self inflicted issues using online instruction. I have my opinions about how to properly use this training tool. What do you all think. Do you follow multiple instructors subscribe to their programs. I personally follow one specific instructor looking at video watching for specific things that can benefit my specific swing. I feel that there is so much content out there that it’s easy to get confused and overwhelmed by the amount of instruction online. Let’s hear you thoughts and experiences good or bad.

My thoughts are like we're talking about in that other thread.

You need to stick to one person or another not both. When I had a shooting coach I used only that coach because they set up my shot a very specific way based upon our conversations and my ability. While I never went pro and I was never going to I was a better player because I had consistent instruction and reinforcement. I think it would be the same for online instruction.

Be one and done, don't confuse your mind and body.

I think you can learn online. After starting lessons I now know you also need a 2nd set of eyes on the swing to help too. So online with feedback would work as well any instruction and be convenient.

Posted about my buddies self inflicted issues using online instruction. I have my opinions about how to properly use this training tool. What do you all think. Do you follow multiple instructors subscribe to their programs. I personally follow one specific instructor looking at video watching for specific things that can benefit my specific swing. I feel that there is so much content out there that it’s easy to get confused and overwhelmed by the amount of instruction online. Let’s hear you thoughts and experiences good or bad.

Golf instruction should not be complicated:

I think online instruction can work for some, but not all. Even then, I'm thinking it's probably best, when used for the basic swing issues. On line, with the video being looked at by competent instructor would work best.

At some point, the aspiring golfer is going to need some in person instruction to move to a better, more efficient swing.

Jumping around, using different swing instruction is the worst thing a golfer can do.

Of course the end result of any type of swing instruction is to deliver the club head into the back of the ball with a correct impact position. How a golfer arrives at that correct impact position is their own unique swing.

Something I do on occasions, is watch videos of Tiger Woods warming up prior to a tournament. I do this to reenforce my own swing tempo/rhythm (timing). Seeing his nice, and easy warm up swing works for me.

YouTube is entertainment and that’s it. Online golf “instruction” via YouTube or free content is not coaching.

I can’t tell you how many online players we teach that have tried their hands at YouTube and failed miserably.

As golf coaches we need to be able to see what players are doing to provide feedback that is relevant and as others have mentioned, one voice, that is consistent. And players need to learn how to analyze their own swings and training using mirrors or video. Feel is NOT Real.

So online can work as long as a coach is providing feedback for the player. Lots of great instructors out there with these types of programs. Just do your research and understand that free is usually NOT the best option.

A good friend of mine watches way to many YouTube videos and is always trying something new at the range. Over the last year he's not improved and is actually playing a slight bit worse. During the same time I've been working online with one coach and my scores have come down quite a bit. What I've found is that a lot of the YouTube content has solid fundamentals but often we treat them like a cure whether we have that swing flaw or not. Being able to properly instill a fundamental is one of the biggest benefits of a good coach.

I avoid it.:censored:

I have two outfits send me a note every day about You can gain 40 yards ........

I’m sure everyone is different as to what they are looking for from online instruction. I am just looking for tips to help make my swing more productive. Have watch a few different so called online instructors. Only on I really pay any attention to now is Danny Maude. He dumbs down the golf swing to where it helps me on certain points.

Back