Ordering Custom Head Covers. What's your take?

CBaker

#FailsatFive
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So - I have ordered a few custom head covers from a few different companies recently. My most recent one, I had this experience with EP:

Originally contact Sep. 18th for a headcover. They get back pretty quick, I send my request over, they let me know price. Within a day ask for email to send me the invoice. 4 days later, I still don't have anything. Ok. Reach back out. They finally send, I pay right away. They then tell me they should have my rendering the next day. 3 days later, nothing. reach back out, they say they have been busy and will have something again tomorrow. Nothing. reach back out 4 days later, they finally send it. I say looks great lets do it. They say great (I'm assuming at this point it means they are starting it). 8 days later, I ask how long the process typically takes. They get back right away and say typically 4 weeks...cool, we're already a week or so in out of 4, that's great. reach back out almost a month later from this point, so nearly 5 weeks since I assumed they had started the process that takes 4 weeks...they get back and say thanks we'll get started on it now.

September 18th starting the talk/design, pay by September 23rd (all good to this point), October 1st to send rendering that they stated they would send on the 23rd - and when I assumed they would start the process, October 9th they tell me it takes in total around 4 weeks, November 5th they tell me they will start working on it. :unsure:

So far, of the three I've worked with, only one has had what I would consider good communication and completion times. Dormie so far has been that good one for me. Robert mark I've actually ordered two through, both fantastic quality (the only reason I ordered again), but both times pretty miserable communication. And now this with EP.

Is this just the world of custom head covers? Is this acceptable to you? What are your experiences ordering custom covers?

Excuse my ignorance but what company is EP again?

I've worked with EP in the past but for a yardage book/scorecard holder and they were fantastic for me. This was years ago though, so maybe not doing the volume now.

The two I've worked with for Custom Covers have been great - Rose and Fire - Mike I think is the best with communication from start to finish. My orders weren't too crazy, nothing that would potentially trip them up and increase production time.

CRU Custom was absolutely fantastic. I worked with Sarah and she was amazing. Very responsive to questions and helpful with suggestions. Received the renderings in 24 hours. Two hiccups that weren't ideal, but would not stop me from ordering from them in the future - we had an extra week delay due to one of the major championships, was communicated midway through the process, not upfront though. We changed up some of the names and they canceled the wrong one sent both out though at no charge.

Did not order custom from them, but Stitch is fantastic with great lines of communications. Have ordered custom from Sunfish, and though the product was not what I would call absolutely top notch (especially their photolux which I would not recommend to anybody), their customer service and timeliness was great. Their stock leather covers are actually pretty good and much more affordable than others.

I've had great experiences with Stitch, CRU, and Dormie.
I've also had terrible experiences with EP. Wouldnt recomend them to anybody despite their top notch product.

I've had great experiences with Stitch, CRU, and Dormie.
I've also had terrible experiences with EP. Wouldnt recomend them to anybody despite their top notch product.

I have had only limited interaction, but to the bolded, both items I received from them had some quality issues.
Both items had seriously poor fading issues with limited usage.

I have had only limited interaction, but to the bolded, both items I received from them had some quality issues.
Both items had seriously poor fading issues with limited usage.

EP does a lot with Bettinardi, and the ones I have are all really good, which is why I decided to try and order from them in the first place. I haven't personally seen issues with this, but that's good to know. Luckily, if I ever receive the product I paid for, it's mostly black, which if that fades I'm fine with.

EP does a lot with Bettinardi, and the ones I have are all really good, which is why I decided to try and order from them in the first place. I haven't personally seen issues with this, but that's good to know. Luckily, if I ever receive the product I paid for, it's mostly black, which if that fades I'm fine with.

I am hopeful my issues were in the minority.

I’ve only worked with sunfish and ace of clubs. Both are great. Never had an issue. Super quick. Great communication. So why would I go elsewhere for more money lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ummmm....if I need a replacement head cover usually anything from the "orphan bin" that fits will do....just sayin

I don't think it's limited to custom cover world...a lot of companies/people could drastically improve their quality and frequency of communications.

I don't think it's limited to custom cover world...a lot of companies/people could drastically improve their quality and frequency of communications.

@shanewu I think you are right on this. Bringing this back from the dead.

I ordered two custom head covers from RobertMarkGolf in January after multiple recommendations from other forum members. He said it will be 4-6 weeks approx for custom covers. Yeah no problem, its winter all is good. After sending payment in January after agreeing on design which he was excellent to deal with on that I didn't hear anything at all like "payment received, thanks." or "payment received, thanks and fvck off" something. After finally responding back after two or so emails asking if he got it he finally did. So I decided to let him do his thing and he will respond when done because like I said I didn't really need them anyhow. So I kinda forgot about them the rest of Jan all through Feb and then middle of March I was like "sh*t, forgot about those covers I wonder how they are coming along?" After two attempts to email and several days later inquiring about my product he responded "covers are being sewn including hand cut design. It wont be long now" and he sent me a picture of the hand cut sewing. I was like wow that is going to be awesome! and thanked him for the update. At this point in his defense, now we are in the middle of this Covid BS so I'm sure production has slowed down quite a bit or totally? Not sure....never did reach out to tell me. If there was something like "hey man, its going to be much longer on the covers. I don't have staffing because of the virus, blah blah" or something it would of been cool. I get it. So another month goes by and I forget about them again thinking just let him do his thing. I reached out again. Then hour later out of kno where I get a tracking information email from USPS from his company. I'm like, ok? I guess that means they are done? So I sent another email letting him know I got tracking info so I assume they are done? He sent me a picture of one but then asked about a certain color on the other cover if it was right? Which was wrong. I'm like no, we established this before payment was received during the design its red not orange? Didn't hear back like thanks, oh sh*t sorry, nothing. Next day I reach out again....he responds. "wrong color, they are changing now. Relax?????" then right after sends another and goes "I realize the time frame but seriously in two minutes I'm going to cancel and refund this order. You have no idea what I'm dealing with here!" I go "no I don't but if you would tell me I might know. Its been 3 1/2 months approx. If you are having issues just tell me. I don't want you to cancel the order because I want my product but don't make it seem like I'm inconveniencing you when you have my money and all I want to know its a little communication. That's all? I got nothing back. Sent another email 5 days later. Responds check the tracking sent previously, they were sent last week. I'm like whatever, its not even worth responding at least they are on the way. They are set to be delivered today so hopefully they are what I asked for so I don't have to go through a bunch of BS again.

I didn't expect them to be here 6 weeks on the nose or else. It was winter, then Covid19, Its whatever and I'm no body, but communicate with me because I still am a customer and don't act like its an inconvenience when you do.

Huh, i've order a few as gifts from sunfish. They have been great to work with, the quality seems good, but I haven't compared them to other shops. They may not be able to do as custom as some shops, but it fit my needs well and they did a good job.

I have a bag full of Seamus covers and they are awesome. Have also done a couple from them as gifts.

I really like the leather head covers for my woods but am still a bit of cheapskate so I will only buy them on sale. I picked up two FW covers from Stitch over the winter at PGA Superstore for $19.98 and $24.98 on closeout. The most I've paid for a leather head cover is $60.

I think it depends on the company. Dormie seems to be very quick on responses (I haven't ordered anything custom but reached out on one I saw on IG and they were back to me in 15 minutes or less). Seamus was good, but has gotten a little slower (pre pandemic).

I got a yardage book from EP and it was fairly smooth. Patrick Gibbons Handmade I have ordered a few things from and he was great. I emailed in a request and he called me on my cell to go over things in less than an hour. I think you have to do a little homework (which you have done by trying multiple places).

My experience is when times are good some companies take customers for granted. I own a boat and not one good experience with service in the past 5 years. It’s as if they don’t know how to dial a phone. Last time I was told parts in order it’ll be done next week. 5 weeks go by and I hear nothing. Left 4 messages and no call back. Finally got a response that the part is back ordered. :mad:

I think it depends on the company. Dormie seems to be very quick on responses (I haven't ordered anything custom but reached out on one I saw on IG and they were back to me in 15 minutes or less). Seamus was good, but has gotten a little slower (pre pandemic).

I got a yardage book from EP and it was fairly smooth. Patrick Gibbons Handmade I have ordered a few things from and he was great. I emailed in a request and he called me on my cell to go over things in less than an hour. I think you have to do a little homework (which you have done by trying multiple places).
It does depend on the company. The hard part is some of the best products construction and materials wise are from people who could make way more of a living off of it with a little better communication. With the work Robert Mark does, he could do 2-3 times the business if he didn't have this stain on him communication/customer service wise. He was absolutely abysmal to work with both times I ordered covers.

Dormie in my experience from all of the companies I dealt with, was by far the best. I would order from Dormie in a heartbeat whenever I am in the market for one. Plus their quality seems to be pretty solid too.

Robert mark and EP, from my personal experience with customs, were both really bad. Unfortunate as they are two of the best in the business, quality wise. I want a custom regular mallet cover, but I haven't done it yet because those are the two I'd want to go through for it, and I don't want to go back through that process again with either one.

With how readily available email and social media is with a computer in your pocket, there is absolutely no excuse for it. Set up an auto reply if you can't get back right away that says inquiries will take a few days to respond back to. It's honestly not hard. No excuse for poor customer service and communication these days.

It does depend on the company. The hard part is some of the best products construction and materials wise are from people who could make way more of a living off of it with a little better communication. With the work Robert Mark does, he could do 2-3 times the business if he didn't have this stain on him communication/customer service wise. He was absolutely abysmal to work with both times I ordered covers.

Dormie in my experience from all of the companies I dealt with, was by far the best. I would order from Dormie in a heartbeat whenever I am in the market for one. Plus their quality seems to be pretty solid too.

Robert mark and EP, from my personal experience with customs, were both really bad. Unfortunate as they are two of the best in the business, quality wise. I want a custom regular mallet cover, but I haven't done it yet because those are the two I'd want to go through for it, and I don't want to go back through that process again with either one.

With how readily available email and social media is with a computer in your pocket, there is absolutely no excuse for it. Set up an auto reply if you can't get back right away that says inquiries will take a few days to respond back to. It's honestly not hard. No excuse for poor customer service and communication these days.

I am trying to decide whether to purchase one of the non custom luchador's from dormie... they are so cool but I have several other headcovers... I am curious to see what you end up doing for the mallet headcover.

With the work Robert Mark does, he could do 2-3 times the business if he didn't have this stain on him communication/customer service wise. He was absolutely abysmal to work with both times I ordered covers.

...this makes me feel better that it wasn't just me. Hopefully the quality and what I asked for and agreed upon is delivered today. Knowing what I went through if something isn't right or its wrong its going to be a sh*t show I bet

...this makes me feel better that it wasn't just me. Hopefully the quality and what I asked for and agreed upon is delivered today. Knowing what I went through if something isn't right or its wrong its going to be a sh*t show I bet
He could have definitely handled it better... he should have show sympathy rather than demanding it from a customer, especially when he already has your money.

I hope what you get turns out to be exactly what you wanted.

If I were to order custom, I would go with Dormie, The Winston Collection, or Ace Clubs. I’ve only had a Dormie cover (not custom) so I’m just speculating on the other two based on what I’ve seen on the interwebs.

My customs always go through Delilah - girlygolfer.com. Nothing but great from her.

Back