Over swinging and going off plane

Cbdboz

Reaction score
Handicap
20-24
I have a real swing killer, whereby at the top of my backswing my left wrist hinges outward causing the club to go off plane and take a dramatic flick inside the plane resulting in the club then pointing to the "right" of the target at the top of the back swing..... Which is invariably where the ball ends up.

One easy fix is to shorten the swing, but this just doesn't feel right and causes me issues with tempo and power.

I will be taking lessons at some stage, but in the meantime I am keen to hear if anyone has any ideas... And ideally has a good suggestion to start working on.... As I great this is going to be a difficult one....

cheers

You've answered your question. Shorten your swing and learn the tempo. You are swing too long and that is causing all your issues.

Thanks for the feedback

problem is that if I shorten, the club never gets to the point where it is pointing down the target line on the backswing... ( which maybe isn't that important ??) the flick happens just before.

It doesn't matter if the club gets pointed at the target. If you make a full shoulder turn against a stable base, you are right where you need to be. You're reaching back in an attempt to kill it and it's causing problems. Shorten the swing and it will fix what ails you. Or don't, it's up to you. But I promise if you practice and learn the swing, it'll pay in the end.
Thanks for the feedback

problem is that if I shorten, the club never gets to the point where it is pointing down the target line on the backswing... ( which maybe isn't that important ??) the flick happens just before.

Try going back tad slower, the over swinging can be reduced by not getting back there too fast. Also take club back wide and straight back SLOW, it may feel like your back swinging outside the line.
A medicus driver would be a good club to drill with. Check SW that its not too light and helping a over swing, by moving fast. Another way to explain it is your crossing the line at the top then dropping inside, which I do a little myself

I wouldn't recommend the medicus to anyone.
Try going back tad slower, the over swinging can be reduced by not getting back there too fast. Also take club back wide and straight back SLOW, it may feel like your back swinging outside the line.
A medicus driver would be a good club to drill with. Check SW that its not too light and helping a over swing, by moving fast. Another way to explain it is your crossing the line at the top then dropping inside, which I do a little myself

The panda is wise! When the shoulders stop so do the arms and hands which will feel like a 3/4 swing but you'll hit the ball as far if not further with better control. Takes lots of reps for it to feel right but you have to commit to the change.

I hate to hijack someone's thread, but I feel like this is exactly what I was wanting to ask about in my own swing. I feel like I'm trying too hard to rotate around for full effect, and it throws me off balance or something. I went to the range last night, and the pic below is of a pretty dang well struck ball, though I still fell back a little bit. Freddie, you told me (a dozen times) to keep that back leg flexed, and I'm really, really trying, but I think I'm bending it and then just locking it up with my muscles, if that makes sense.
In the pic, I think I'm rotating well because the beam in the cover above me is always pointing at my shoulder.

Spoiler
Swing_zpsfxir1kkd.jpg

I just get this feeling I'm trying to do too much with all that fluff and need to back off for more consistency. It IS very hard to shorten a backswing though, as I was trying last night to do just that.

VIDEO HERE

I was driver swing training in my pvc swing ring and noticed the cross the line at the top happens when my left arm reaches near 11 o clock, or the club would come off plane easier. Try to have a mental note at nine o clock, that 10 o clock is the end point to your back swing...past that I think you will go off plane if your of average flexibility. Its that last part of the turn at the top that pulls on the body, because their is not much extension is left in the arms, you feel it pull on the left shoulder, and it starts to turn under a little like a reverse pivot...that's the no no for me. Thanks... by helping you I am helping myself...funny how that works

I have a real swing killer, whereby at the top of my backswing my left wrist hinges outward causing the club to go off plane and take a dramatic flick inside the plane resulting in the club then pointing to the "right" of the target at the top of the back swing..... Which is invariably where the ball ends up.

One easy fix is to shorten the swing, but this just doesn't feel right and causes me issues with tempo and power.

I will be taking lessons at some stage, but in the meantime I am keen to hear if anyone has any ideas... And ideally has a good suggestion to start working on.... As I great this is going to be a difficult one....

cheers

It's difficult to tell without seeing a video of your swing.

I wouldn't recommend the medicus to anyone.

This made me laugh out loud. I've always thought the Medicus looked crazy hokey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks All for the feedback. Not sure on slowing the back swing, as it feels like I have the right timing and momentum... But will tinker with the rotation to see if it pays dividends.

Back