Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
As I (we) grow older, I can't help but notice the strain, daily, golf is putting on my back, and my knees. I've contemplated changing my forum name to OldandFat, but something tells me the, #overlysensitive, @OldandStiff might take issue.

So, how do you combat aging? I've bought all of the serums, pills, and ointments. Nothing seems to work.

What are (we) doing?

Yoga! Daily. Even just 15-20 mins. I got Downdog when it was on sale (happens often) Plug in 30 mins, add a boost of lower back stretches and away I go.

Also go to the gym. Lift some weights.

A lot of people like Yoga with Adrienne like @Scooby45 linked to, she does a lot of good stuff too and it's free on YT.

I’ve been going to a sports massage therapist for a couple years now and that’s really helped. Recently I’ve started stretching more and working out as well. During a round I’ll usually take a CBD gummy or drink just before teeing off and at the turn. That really helps too

I learned to do stuff from a deep resting squat whenever it is helpful for me to be low to the ground. I think this helps my core.
I retired so I can take mid day naps when I need them!
I watch my weight with a scale in the dining room.

Well, epidural shots have been denied by insurance the last two attempts. So, it's safe to say that road is closed.

I'm very surprised to say that a back brace has enabled me to play pain-free through 7 rounds now (after a 6 week layoff). I bought it in 2019 but never even bothered to remove it from the packaging. Sans shots, I've never been able to return to play any shorter than 3-4 months before.

Piriformis and hamstring stretches are key for me, too. And lots of ice packs.

Well, epidural shots have been denied by insurance the last two attempts. So, it's safe to say that road is closed.

I'm very surprised to say that a back brace has enabled me to play pain-free through 7 rounds now (after a 6 week layoff). I bought it in 2019 but never even bothered to remove it from the packaging. Sans shots, I've never been able to return to play any shorter than 3-4 months before.

Piriformis and hamstring stretches are key for me, too. And lots of ice packs.
A lot of people don't realize how much hamstrings are involved in lower back pain. As somebody who deals with the back pain from time to time, a good hamstring stretch can go a long ways toward alleviating it - especially if it's muscle related. A back belt/brace has gotten me through more than a few rounds when I wouldn't have otherwise been able to play too.

A lot of people don't realize how much hamstrings are involved in lower back pain. As somebody who deals with the back pain from time to time, a good hamstring stretch can go a long ways toward alleviating it - especially if it's muscle related. A back belt/brace has gotten me through more than a few rounds when I wouldn't have otherwise been able to play too.
Absolutely. I wish I knew years ago the impact tight hamstrings can have on the L4/L5.

Through all my years of competitive sports and even martial arts, I've been one inflexible sumbitch. I was always athletic and mostly a fitness nut (save for recent years, LOL), but I couldn't ever loosen up enough. So, over time, truth be told, I stopped trying.

Now, I'll stretch up to 3 or 4 times per day. Not for very long, really. Just holding each stretch for a minimum of 30 seconds. No matter how I might feel prior. A good, quick stretch always leaves me feeling better and with a looser feeling lower back.

The view l have as a 62 yo, is that firstly physique and what you do for work / career , contributes to your staring point …
Relatively healthy with no prescriptive medications or other and no impairments, or issues . In roadworthy condition lmao ))

Ie : l would expect there would’nt , be too many chippies or fitters etc , smashing a session or two down the gym, post work day , conversely would expect more sedentary occupations to be more represented in gym , yoga etc …

It’s the small things the walks , twist turn bend etc , stretching during the body during the day , accumulating, all that non intentional work / activity , helps immeasurably.

I have recently been using the Therabody RecoveryTherm back. It may just be an expensive wearable heating pad that vibrates for all I know, but it has definitely helped. As for the knees, I have no answer; however, stretching and working on range of motion seems to be helping.

We're getting old and fat. 😆

Combat it? Poorly, it seems.

I don’t have a great back and enjoyed yoga for years until recurring vertigo struck and haven’t been able to go back. I also have a couple vertebrae that broke off when I had a hockey accident when I was 15 so lots of scar tissue around the L5/6 that likes to stiffen up movement.

I find best treatment for my situation is walking 99% of my rounds and continue walking daily throughout our winter downtime. In addition I keep a foam roller right in the main TV room that I will roll on almost daily to keep everything aligned. Works wonders. I think it is key to keep hips loose and flexible as it will reduce the strain on lower back. Also build a strong core.

"You can pull a muscle, but you can't pull fat." - John Daly

That said, I'm packing a bit more than a few extra pounds, bad knees and back problems. Things would be a lot easier if I could drop about 40 lbs., but about the only way that happens at my age is with emergency liposuction and a tummy tuck, because diet and exercise doesn't do anything. Golf is also a one sided exercise which throws your body out of balance. Ideally you should have a left handed 7i and hit half the balls at the driving range with that if you're right handed just to make sure you work both sides evenly.

With me it's knee braces and pain killers for the back while I play.

Norco, steroids, Celebrex. Remain active, exercise daily, no matter how much it hurts. Dont give in.

Just play through it isn’t a thing?

I’m having real issues with my mid-upper back right now, mostly on my right side. I’ve been playing through it taking a Celebrex when I play. As I play it gets loose enough I can make decent swings and my back will stay loose for a while after. For me, it’s heating pads and chiropractor. A massage or 2 would probably help too.

I have an exercise program that I am supposed to start that has lots of stretching, but, it’s kind of hard when I’m hurting to do it.

strength training. i’m 42, had a desk job since getting out of college. i’ve had short spurts of exercise, but nothing consistent. this year i decided i was tired of always feeling weak, and having back pain (as well as knees, shoulders, neck, etc). i go to the gym 5 days a week for 45min-1hr of training and i haven’t once woken up with back pain since.

Prancercise!!

I think this is the right answer to every question on this forum.

Need a new belt? Prancercise
Should I use more wrists in my putting stroke? Prancercise

I think this is the right answer to every question on this forum.

Need a new belt? Prancercise
Should I use more wrists in my putting stroke? Prancercise
Need to walk up to the first tee at the Morgan Cup? Prancercise.

I just accept it's inevitable and carry on doing what I do. DDD in my back and arthritis in my hands knees and now feet, nothing I can do about that without meds that have worse side effects.

Back