Pace of Play and how it effects you

Oh hell no! 🤯 I know I wouldn't have lasted 7 holes, that's for sure. I would have said something by then. :banghead: But what's that going to change? Nothing ... there are caddies, he's paid his $900, so he can go as slow as he wants.

If I know it's going to be slow, I mentally prepare for it before I hit my first tee shot. Also if there is a wait, I do some chipping on the tee box.

Depends on who I'm playing with, Are we in carts or walking. Pace is important but weigh the situation and adjust mentality is my way to go.

If it's slow, then it's slow. As long as I keep up with the group in front of me I consider myself good.

today, i joined a foursome since it was still pretty busy once i got to the course...they were agonizingly slow...fun group...but agonizingly slow and it was tearing me up inside. i wanted to scream "we are playing too ******* SLOW!...people are waiting behind us...people that were NOT there 10 minutes ago! they were almost two holes behind when i saw them earlier...but i let it burn internally and tried to enjoy the company.

I greatly prefer to play in 3 hours or less. But if it slow from the start, it doesn't bother me near as much as if I/we are playing at a comfortably brisk pace and all of the sudden hit a major slowdown.

today, i joined a foursome since it was still pretty busy once i got to the course...they were agonizingly slow...fun group...but agonizingly slow and it was tearing me up inside. i wanted to scream "we are playing too ******* SLOW!...people are waiting behind us...people that were NOT there 10 minutes ago! they were almost two holes behind when i saw them earlier...but i let it burn internally and tried to enjoy the company.
I had this just yesterday! We needed to be playing ready golf. And I was. They may have got perturbed that i hit even though i wasn't "out" but they were doing spme frustrating things. Like driving to one guys ball. He duffing it 30 yards, not to his partners ball. Driving 50 more yards to his partners ball then BACK to his. Ugh.

I'm relatively new to golf but one thing I can't seem to shake is how badly pace of play gets in my head. I'm always so worried about making sure noone is waiting for me that I often hurry my shots. On top of that, if playing with a random group (happens for me alot as I play weekdays when my friends are working), and I'm not the best player, I feel bad that they are waiting on me on some holes.

Do I just need to get out of my own head. Am I over worrying?
Yes. They will wait. Play your game. If they get in your space about it, give them a Chuck Norris roundhouse boot to the melon.

It drives me nuts when I get stuck in a slow group. It throws my game off because I play faster trying to make up for the slowpokes and end up rushing myself. If they're doing the stupid thing of all driving to one ball like lemmings, I'll grab a few clubs and walk to my ball, both to try to speed things up and also to try and set an example. And maybe hopefully to let the people waiting behind us see that the other knobs are the problem, not me. I'll also be the one saying "Hey guys, we need to pick up the pace. We're falling behind and holding up the group behind us".

I don’t like being stuck in a slow group if there are holes open in front of us. My daughter and I played the other day with two random strangers that were much slower than us and it was a small annoyance for me but I’ve gotten more patient as I’ve aged. I’m sure they didn’t think they were slow because we finished in 4:03 but there were 3 holes open in front of us when we finished. The foursome behind us only waited on one par 3 on the back nine so we didn’t slow their round down more than a couple minutes.

I play most of my golf early in the morning at my club and as a walking foursome we rarely take more than 3:20 and often it’s right at 3 hours as a threesome.

If it were me, I would have said something. Let them know we need to pick it up and maintain contact with the group ahead. Also, I find some people just don't know how to play ready golf. So, I'll discreetly give tips that help. Most ready golf is what occurs *between* shots so that the player doesn't feel rushed setting up and playing their shot. Put that way, most people appreciate the tips.

Today's round was walking. Foursome. 4 hrs. on the nose. We were a bunch of hackers who shot over 100. When you take that many strokes it takes longer.

Today's round was walking. Foursome. 4 hrs. on the nose. We were a bunch of hackers who shot over 100. When you take that many strokes it takes longer.
That's a good time of you ask me!

Thought this could use a bump today

Was discussing this. And my thought is, I dont mind if it’s anything under 6 hours. My regular group if we go out on Friday is 5-5.5 round always.
BUT because it’s not anyone in our group that’s slow it doesn’t affect my game in the least. It’s just a really crowded course .

Was discussing this. And my thought is, I dont mind if it’s anything under 6 hours. My regular group if we go out on Friday is 5-5.5 round always.
BUT because it’s not anyone in our group that’s slow it doesn’t affect my game in the least. It’s just a really crowded course .
"Average" pace of play varies so much from course to course, and even time or day of the week. I play early morning weekdays - it's almost all old retired guys and ladies, but most of them are pretty good about pace of play and most of our rounds are around 3:15-3:30. It's pretty uncommon to go over 4:00, and 4:30+ is almost unheard of. At another course we occasionally play, you're lucky to get a 4:30 round in and most rounds are 5+ hours. We avoid that course all winter while the snowbirds are here, we'll go play it in the summer after they've all left and we can play sub 4:00 rounds.

Back