RecGolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
It just struck me that the five golf courses I play on all have a par-3 17th hole. How about where you play? Just curious.

Last edited:
Of the courses in my usual rotation, only 1 has a par3 17th. One of the places I play has 27 holes and one of the 3 nines has a par3 for #8, but it's almost always the front nine.

Both of my club's courses have par 3 17ths.

Surprisingly, I don't think any of the top 5 courses that I frequent have a par 3 17th hole.

I think all 3 clubs here in town have par 3 17th holes.

0/5 at my local courses. I feel like I'm missing out now.

The 2 main courses in my area have par 3's for hole 17

The home course is a par 5.

The second most played is a par 4.

Third is a par 5.

Come to think of it I don't think any of the courses I play have par 3 17th.

I wonder if region of the country has a lot to do with this?

It just struck me that the five golf courses I play on all have a par-3 17th hole. How about where you play? Just curious.
My normal course has a par 3 17th.

The two 18's at my local club both have par 17th holes. I hate both of them 🤣

'Easier' course is a big elevated kidney shaped green which has a bowl on the left side, I seem to hit that bowl everytime the pin is not there.

'Harder' course is a narrow green, sand then water to the right, crap hill to the left so if you're not straight or accurate it's a tough hole to par.

Negative at the courses I play most often.

Par 4, 430 yds.
Par 4, 400 yds.
Par 4, 273 yds.

Off the top of my head some of the courses I play that have 17th hole par 3

Bear Creek - Hardest par 3 on the course
Legacy - Hardest par 3 on the course
Posten Butte - Island green
Southern Dunes - Challenging par 3
McDowell Mountain - Challenging par 3
Estrella - Tricky par 3
Verrado Founders - Not bad but pin placement dependent
Sterling Grove - Not bad

My home course and the other 2 courses that I regularly play do not have a Par 3 17th hole. All are par 4s.

My 17th is also a par 3. I know of a few with that setup just the same

Main home course has a par 3 17th hole. But that is the only one on my regular rotation.

Home course #17 is a par 3. Probably our signature hole. Elevated tee hitting to a green with a sand beach and ocean right behind.

Four of my regulars have a par 3 17. One plays 142, one158. Another plays 205, another is a bear, 242. My other favorite course has a par 3 18th, into the prevailing wind 209, which leaves me in a club , trajectory and shape quandary every time. To the point that I am thinking about it as soon as we leave 17.. oddly enough, despite the fits that hole gives me mentally, I have played it in 2.77 strokes over 80 rounds the last 2 years (When I started tracking that closely)

Last edited:
It's very prevalent in my experience.
YES at my Home Course -> 243 / 219 / 196 / 180 / 173
YES at course I play 2nd most -> 187 / 151 / 125 / 113
Also YES at 37 of the 59 courses I've played since getting my Garmin Approach golf watch (almost 63% of them).

Home course is a par-5 for #17. With two of the other favorites of mine nearby, one is also a par-5, but the other is indeed a par-3.

4 of the last 10 courses i've played do

None of the 3 courses I regularly play have 17 as a par 3

Back