par 3 opening hole ?

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
Another thread (about course design and pace of play) had mention of a regulation length course having an opening hole par 3.
I've never played a course with an opening hole par 3, have you ?

At least 3 courses that I can remember, including the one we played at the weekend
165yd, with not a large target to aim at

Aldwark - 1st Tee.jpg

One of the courses that was in our league rotation a few years back starts with a par 3 and one of the players that day had a hole in one to start their round

I've never played one that started with it, but be fun to try.

We have a local course which was down to the last two for the Solheim cup which is 3 loops of 9 holes with one loop starting with a par 3. Never seems to affect the speed of play.

I've played one. Pacific Grove Municipal in Monterey, CA. In fact, the first TWO holes are par 3.

I think two in a row to start is a bit much, but my thought about a par 3 to start is that it automatically gives you a gap at the beginning of the round, instead of starters sending out the next group on the first tee as soon as the group ahead drives off after hitting their second shots instead of waiting for the actual tee time.

Another thread (about course design and pace of play) had mention of a regulation length course having an opening hole par 3.
I've never played a course with an opening hole par 3, have you ?

My local goat pasture that I play every week starts and ends with Par 3's.
I like it since I am less likely to start with a Double or Triple like it was a long Par 5!!!:ROFLMAO:

I've played a few, not a huge fan. Course I played used to have #10 as a par 3 over water and would frequently swap 9's and start everyone on 10. Was a rough way to start, but it is now a par 4 that routes the other way, so it's a better start if needed.

At least 3 courses that I can remember, including the one we played at the weekend
165yd, with not a large target to aim at

View attachment 8911473

One of the courses that was in our league rotation a few years back starts with a par 3 and one of the players that day had a hole in one to start their round

The low limbs of the trees in your photo makes playing shots very difficult. Is it common for the courses in your area to have lots of low hanging tree limbs ?

I've played at least 3 that start with a par 3 (Upminster, Three Rivers and Top Meadow). All depends on the implementation, and from memory, 2 out of 3 are really well done. It's unusual, but not jarringly so.

Incidentally, Royal Lytham & St. Annes starts with a 175 yard par 3 as well. Doesn't get much better than that course. (y)

No... but one course I regularly played in south Florida had a par 3 on #10 and it was forced carry water protected green. It was fun! It played 131 or 159. Was close to a HIO there, a few inches.

MXx9QiT.jpg

I play one in Pine Knoll Shores NC. It used to play 170 with a big branch blocking the whole left side of the tee box.

It was a tough opener made harder by no range to warm up on.

can't remember any, had a few drivable par 4s to start off with.

There is a course that that I've played out west of me that has a first hole as a Par 3. It's completely surrounded by water. The course is called Tanna Farms. It's a crazy opening hole.

Last edited:
Never have played one and don't think I would like it. My iron 2nd shot into 1 at my home course is usually the worst iron shot I hit all round.

Glenbrook in Stroudsburg, PA used to start off with a Par 3. Deceptively uphill. they switched 9's several years ago, so now it's starts with a blind tee shot over a huge knob about 100 yards out.

I've played one. Pacific Grove Municipal in Monterey, CA. In fact, the first TWO holes are par 3.

I think two in a row to start is a bit much, but my thought about a par 3 to start is that it automatically gives you a gap at the beginning of the round, instead of starters sending out the next group on the first tee as soon as the group ahead drives off after hitting their second shots instead of waiting for the actual tee time.

Totally agree with you on this. The other benefit is that no single group can claim that the starts behind them were let out early if they fall behind the expected pace of play. You have to complete the entire first hole before the group behind you can tee off.

I think it's also very helpful for golfers that aren't good at golf. Starting off with a par 5 or long par 4 when a golfer isn't confident with long clubs is brutal especially if you've got a peanut gallery lining up behind you watching your drive.

Only time I have started on a par 3 was during a scramble.

can't remember any, had a few drivable par 4s to start off with.

First hole "drivable par 4" I think would be stressful. For example "Can I play or might I hit somebody?" is not a question a player should have to ask for his opening tee shot.

I've played a few. It feels weird, but I don't mind it. Now I'd probably welcome it, actually. Give me a couple more swings before I have to pull out the driver.

I remember one of them was on a nice course in the west Chicago burbs. Played a tournament there when I was around 15. Seemed to add some stress. There where a LOT of duffed shots off that tee.

That's the course that first popped to mind when I saw this thread. The first par 3 is pretty routine. 165 yards as I recall. The 2nd hole is a little over 200 yards, so more of a challenge. This course is nicknamed "The Poor Man's Pebble Beach". The front 9 is parkland style winding through a neighborhood. The back 9 is on a peninsula with the Pacific Ocean on three sides. Lot's of dunes and hills and a pond to clear on 17. The back 9 always has the wind off the ocean.

Don't think I'd like it. I think it's weird enough that two of the courses I play here (both in the same 36 hole complex) have par 3's on holes 9 and 10.

I hate starting on par 3’s. That said, I had to start on #10 today which is a par 3 that was playing 160 yards today. First swing of the day was an 8 iron about 3 ft, easy putt made for birdie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've never played a course that starts with one but there's a links course locally that ends on a short par 3 and it is a letdown at the end of the round.

Back