Par-7, 1,100-yard hole

Driver, 3w, 4w, 4w, 8 iron. Then a chip if not on green.

Should be a par 9 at least. Even at "internet swings" drive at 300, followed by 250 3 wood, then another 250 3 wood, another 250 3 wood is only 1,050 yards. Still have to pitch last 50 yards and a 2 putt= par. That is not going to happen.

I find nothing about this hole enticing. The idea of hitting driver and 4 long clubs (from the back tees) before reaching the green is quite uninteresting. No thanks.

I'll pass, unless they waive the rule and allow me to tee up with driver 3 times.

Should be a par 9 at least. Even at "internet swings" drive at 300, followed by 250 3 wood, then another 250 3 wood, another 250 3 wood is only 1,050 yards. Still have to pitch last 50 yards and a 2 putt= par. That is not going to happen.

firstly, your assuming one is playing the tips. Then we have those tee boxes which are at a slight angle to the fairway (slight dog if you will) which does cut at least a little yardage especially for one who can hit 300. But even still who's to say one must hit those 3 three woods to get to 50yrds? Whos to say one couldn't plan the hole to approach the green from 150, or 170, 190, whatever. I mean now it can be planned via ones management decisions for one to take up to 140 yrds off the last 3 shots so they don't have to be 3woods at all but actually be done with more manageable clubs.

Imo its about managing ones game to play to strengths instead of weaknesses. Or at least minimize the weakest shots by exchanging them with ones which are the lessor of two evils. It doesn't have to automatically be driver then 3 three woods and end with a 50yrd pitch but instead could be 3 or 4 very different shots with a longer but still very manageable approach distance at the end. Its why earlier I mentioned its really about making the first two shots count the most imo. To be honest that's not really any different than an average par5 anyway. One simply does not have to go 3w,3w,3w. That's one of the biggest (yet very common) misguided logics in golf that so many would automatically assume they have to do. But simply plan on a longer approach and he doesn't have to go 3w x3 if he finds that's not possible to do. Of course we still have to execute all panned shots and suffer if we don't but that's no different than any other hole or shot we ever play.

That would be fun

firstly, your assuming one is playing the tips. Then we have those tee boxes which are at a slight angle to the fairway (slight dog if you will) which does cut at least a little yardage especially for one who can hit 300. But even still who's to say one must hit those 3 three woods to get to 50yrds? Whos to say one couldn't plan the hole to approach the green from 150, or 170, 190, whatever. I mean now it can be planned via ones management decisions for one to take up to 140 yrds off the last 3 shots so they don't have to be 3woods at all but actually be done with more manageable clubs.

Imo its about managing ones game to play to strengths instead of weaknesses. Or at least minimize the weakest shots by exchanging them with ones which are the lessor of two evils. It doesn't have to automatically be driver then 3 three woods and end with a 50yrd pitch but instead could be 3 or 4 very different shots with a longer but still very manageable approach distance at the end. Its why earlier I mentioned its really about making the first two shots count the most imo. To be honest that's not really any different than an average par5 anyway. One simply does not have to go 3w,3w,3w. That's one of the biggest (yet very common) misguided logics in golf that so many would automatically assume they have to do. But simply plan on a longer approach and he doesn't have to go 3w x3 if he finds that's not possible to do. Of course we still have to execute all panned shots and suffer if we don't but that's no different than any other hole or shot we ever play.
Yeah that's way to much thought into it I'll take your word on it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Yeah that's way to much thought into it I'll take your word on it.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

You don't have take my word just to appease the idea. Its really little thought or no more thought than planning to attack any other hole. Pretty simple really. Of course we can fail and screw up along the way but even that is no different than any other. Just the logic that we don't have to head out with the idea to automatically hit the longest clubs when there are other ways to do things on a given hole. Perhaps your style is to grip it and rip it and then move on and that's great if it works for you. For me I need to manage best I can to even stay at 15ish cap and that means making the best choices I can and pick lessor evils.

Most are assuming the worst on this hole and I thought it good to bring up the fact that there are different ways to play the hole via planning it differently is all.

Back