Par on a Par 3 is Great

Why does it seem harder to hit a green on a par 3 than a 4 or 5? LOL
Par 3s are typically a longer shot in than most par 4 or 5 for me.

I don't have stats but I struggle the most with par 3s.

I like this thread :D

why, because i only play pitch and putt or par 3

So statistics ,but first a few question and statements

these are for everyone

whats the shortest/longest par 3 on you regularly played proper course
whats the shortest/ longest ever par 3 you played on any proper course

my p and p course

shortest 60 yds longest 130 ,the green are ok in size for a competent golfer to land on ( i`m not competent lol) the rest are a mix 70 to 90

so i`ve heard said before " go to a p and p course to improve your short game

so because im a saddo im going to write all the yardages down of my p and p course and run an experiment on some holes

i only play p and p, cos i dont like my nearest 9 hole proper course , the other nearest shortish proper course is to far away and a waste of gas to go and lose golf balls and the final reason is i`m crap at golf :LOL:

sorry to go on and on

Last edited:
I'd love to see my lifetime performance over par 3's, 4's, and 5's. If I had to guess, I'd say it's worse on par-3's, and if I could retroactively put down a 3 for every one I've played, my life would be much improved today... hahaha

Love when this kind of data comes out because it gets me to rethink my own game. Just looked at my last round and I was 1 of 6 hitting the par 3s. On the one I actually hit the green, came out with par. The others ended with 4 bogeys and 1 double. My short game is nowhere near consistent enough so if I miss, I'm very likely walking away with bogey or worse.

Absolutely correct.

Most golfers turn off their brain on a par 3, thinking "birdie coming up!" Taking a hyper-aggressive approach leads to lots of doubles and triples.

Try to put yourself in good position for a par, but if you end up with a bogey, don't sweat it. Birdies will happen occasionally, but they'll usually come from a lucky outcome out of a good plan, rather than firing at the pin.

By those stats I'm worse than my HC on GIR but much better at up and downs which I guess makes sense that I get more practice on chipping since I miss more greens. I like the thinking of Par on Par 3's is good and usually that's how I feel.

I have always felt that a par on a par 3 is a great score. If I can shoot even par on all par threes for a round, I should hit my number.

A 3 is a 3. And any 3 is a good 3 imo.

To make maters worse our first hole is a par 3 generally plays around 185 yards , over water , two big bunkers on the right and left side of it. First swing of the day. We always say a four is like a par and a par is like a birdie . Lol i dont like this hole. A little easier if you play the back nine first but still a tough hole.

It has never made sense to me having a par 3 opening hole. Silly design.

A 3 is a 3. And any 3 is a good 3 imo.
Given this thread...and data, why does the handicap system insist on making you give your strokes back to the course on par 3s only!

I love any par. especially on a par 3. They sure feel like birdies to me.

4.1/5.2/6.1 is my current scoring average on 3/4/5.

The other day I was thinking that I’d be better off on par 3s by playing for a center of green shot regardless of hole location.

On the other hand two of our 3s have some very tricky aspects. On 12 the best way to keep the ball on the green, let alone close, is to aim for the front right corner of the green. A little block and you’re looking at a testy pitch to a green sloping away from you quickly. On 15 there’s a two foot high ridge that bisects the green right to left about 2/3 of the way on. If the pin is on the front 2/3 and you are long that ridge, you have a very testy two putt on your hands. Conversely if the pin is on the back 1/3 and you are on the front 2/3, it’s hard to keep your putt on the green, given that the ridge will take the ball rapidly down hill with some significant left to right break. Par is a good score on both of these holes.

Last edited:
I am always happy with par on par 3s. If I play the par 3s even par it is usually a very good round.

Love that message. I'm ecstatic when I play the par 3's as a whole anywhere near even.

In the first time in a long time, I made par on all the par 3s yesterday, hit them all in reg and won $3 ctp from my son 😁

IMG_5424.jpeg

This thread suddenly makes me feel even better about my par yesterday on the long par 3 at my home course:LOL:. I'm always happy to bogey par 3's - I definitely have a hard time getting my tee shot anywhere close to the green, so it very often takes two shots to get on, and then two putts if I'm lucky.

Making a Bogey on a Par 3 bothers me more than making bogey anywhere else on the course.

Best rounds I've ever had don't have a lot of birdies in them but hitting the par 3's in regulation and making par is a major contributor for sure.
I really can only speak about my home course because I don't really track scoring, but my best scores have come when I am even on the five par 3's. Whether it's 5 pars or 3 bar's, a bird & a bogey... collectively they are easy to moderate, but depending on pin location can be tricky putts. And yes, jut hit the green and go from there.

Back