Par on a Par 3 is Great

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score

I can’t remember where I read it recently but it was something to the extent that most amateurs throw away more strokes on par 3s than they do on 4&5 because they ultimately make a bad choice on the tee shot.

I know for me, I’m usually hoping for a 3 with no less than a 4. So yeah, par is good.

Man. I spent YEARS wondering why I sucked at par 3's, or at least why I felt like I sucked on par 3's. It's become a lot more clear in the last couple years why that is.

Seeing these stats is always so eye-opening.

And I agree from feeling alone hitting a green, especially on a long par 3 then two putting feels like a giant accomplishment.

But, but….dynamic handicapping…

Very interesting statistics.

I like eye opening statistics like this. And that’s those using shot scope. I bet those numbers get worse if you added in those who don’t even care to collect data

Always enjoy the stats behind golf. My average above par is highest for Par 3's, and I can understand why. My strength is driver, so if I want to improve my par 3 scoring, I need to improve those parts of my game where I'm not as strong.

That pretty solid information. I miss too many par 3 tees shots 😑

I can’t remember where I read it recently but it was something to the extent that most amateurs throw away more strokes on par 3s than they do on 4&5 because they ultimately make a bad choice on the tee shot.

I know for me, I’m usually hoping for a 3 with no less than a 4. So yeah, par is good.
And yet those throwaways on par 5’s feel so much worse because you had so many easy, conservative ways to get it there, while those pesky par 3’s are just rife with peril.

Get par on the 3s and 5s and makes for a great score. A rare feat for me

1st round in 4 months yesterday and I only had 3 pars of which 2 were on par 3's. Personally I find par 3's to my advantage as usually I'm not as long a driver as most so 2nd and 3rd shots on 4's and 5's are longer for me. On 3's we are hitting from same distance so advantage me.

It makes a lot of sense, most of the longer approaches you will hit are on Par-3.

At my club on the old course, the Par 3's are 170yds, 155yds, 200yds and 185yds. In a normal round i would say they are 4 of the top 7 longest approach shots i will hit.

Our new course, all 5 par 3s can play over 200yds. And one of them you have to carry water.

I'm ecstatic for par on most Par 3's at my home course.

But let's me honest I'm ecstatic for Par on most holes these days. :ROFLMAO:

Exactly why one of my goals for the year is “avoid big numbers on par 3’s”. Par is always a great score.

there no margin for error on par 3s...you're hitting from the distance they tell you, the angle they tell you, and the spot they tell you.
just go.

I’ve believe for a while par 3s were the hardest holes. It’s the only hole where you’re not really allowed a bad shot.

making birdie on a par 3 feels like eagle

I’m a little surprised but probably shouldn’t be looking at my data.

Wow, crazy stats right there.

I fully agree - my issue is different though.

Last year's average scoring.

Par 3 = 3.6
Par 4 = 5.7
Par 5 = 7.4

Par 3's are my strongest overall. The longer a hole gets the harder it is for me to get there. I'm thrilled to walk away with a par or a bogey on anything but nearly all of my birdies are par 3 or short par 4.

**Edit - this is last 10, not last year. Last year is Par 3 = 4.1, Par 4 = 5.9, Par 5 = 7.4

Last edited:
Exactly why one of my goals for the year is “avoid big numbers on par 3’s”. Par is always a great score.

I usually say , you won't make many doubles or triples on a par 3 but you will make a lot of bogeys. Usually you can be near the green on a par 3 after your first

It's the par 4s and 5's where you see the most doubles and triples i would guess. But i don't know the stats

Back