Paula Creamer = Sergio Garcia?

How many majors has she won? Tournament wins are great, but winning majors is much more important.

I disagree, a win is a win.

Let's say Paula ends up with 80 wins in her career yet fails to capture a major, is she a disappointment? How about someone who has 1 major & never wins another tournament, not a disappointment?

Does Sergio have pink balls?

Wicked funny! So was smalls' response :blob:

Sergio lost my respect when he spit in the cup.That's gross

Could not agree with you more.

I would say that its fair to refer to Creamer as the female Sergio Garcia in terms of not living up to potential.
Both of them talk big and have all the talent in the world but just cant seem to seal the deal.

Paula has only been on tour 4 years and has 8 wins. Sergio has only 7 PGA wins in 10 years! She hasn't been on tour long enough to say that by not winning a major she hasn't lived up to her potential. So far I think she is pretty impressive and is lapping Sergio's success in less than half the time.

I disagree, a win is a win.

Let's say Paula ends up with 80 wins in her career yet fails to capture a major, is she a disappointment? How about someone who has 1 major & never wins another tournament, not a disappointment?
Dyna, a major win is different. Majors have so much more prestige that they mean much more, IMO.
IMO, if Paula doesnt ever win a major, she will be a disappointment. In the grand history of golf, what people remember is majors, not how many weekly no-name tournaments you win or how much money you make.

The problem with "being" Paula or Sergio is that their collective inability to close the deal in the majors, combined with their sometimes over-the-top popularity among fans - (most likely because of that), has the potential to doom them to be "also-rans" forever. A large part of their popularity stems from people identifying with their near-misses and sympathizing with them as well as embracing them as part of the vast majority of common folks who never quite get to touch the brass ring themselves.

But the danger in all of this is that if either or both of them finally do win a major, they may risk losing a substantial amount of that support because they will then have entered the realm of the elite and as such are no longer "champions for the commoners".
Naturally, if they do win some majors, they will develop a new and perhaps different fan base, but the "oneness" and intimacy of the fan base they now have would be gone forever and that in and of itself carries a certain measure of sadness. Because of this, it's entirely possible that they each - on some subconscious level - recognize this and may be somehow sabotaging themselves so that they won't win a major because on some weird psychological level, they'd feel bad about "doing that" to their loyal fans.

I know that all of this sounds absurd at first blush, but when you consider the talent and opportunities that both Paula and Sergio have and have enjoyed, for neither of them have won a major by now seems odd at the very least. They're obviously both sensitive and emotionally volatile people, so the idea that they'd be letting their fans down by "moving on" is, in my opinion, a very real possibility.

You know, there is such a thing as a fear of success.

-JP

How many majors has she won? Tournament wins are great, but winning majors is much more important.

What you don't seem to appreciate is that she's 22 years old. I honestly don't know how many have won a major by the age of 22 but I suspect it's a pretty short list. And I'm not sure what "near misses" JP is referring 2. While she has 6 top 10s in majors only 1 was a top 5. So I don't know that's she's really been in position to prove whether she can "close the deal" or not yet. If she's still without a major win 5 years from now you might have a point, but this criticism is very premature at this point.

I agree, roughing. It's not until a player gets to their late 20s-early 30s before they start getting the "best player to never" label.

What you don't seem to appreciate is that she's 22 years old. I honestly don't know how many have won a major by the age of 22 but I suspect it's a pretty short list. And I'm not sure what "near misses" JP is referring 2. While she has 6 top 10s in majors only 1 was a top 5. So I don't know that's she's really been in position to prove whether she can "close the deal" or not yet. If she's still without a major win 5 years from now you might have a point, but this criticism is very premature at this point.

You're right regarding Paula.

I suppose that I see her as ripe for falling into the "lovable loser" category that Sergio seems to have all to himself now. Neither of them are of course "losers" per se, but they both seem to have similar personalities and those personalities are perfect to play the role of the tragic hero - the one who has all of the talent and tons of fans but can never seem to quite "get there".

Sergio has done this for so long that his performances are becoming nearly pathological in their predictability and I just see Paula as possessing a similar mental framework.

I hope I'm wrong because I'd like to see the both of them win many times before their careers come to an end. But the longer the clock ticks, the less likely that is to happen.

-JP

Sergio lost my respect when he spit in the cup.That's gross

That makes at least two of us. It must have sucked to be the next player to hole out, then find out later what the goo on the ball was. :sick:

What you dont seem to appreciate is the fact that Paula has had her chances to win majors and has choked each and every time.
Age has little to do with it, she hasnt yet proven that she can maintain her focus and play 4 good rounds at a major.

Back